Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2021, 07:46 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think this is unlikely purely for the reason that Acros II is made by Ilford, not Fujifilm, which is probably why it's extra expensive - so that both firms can make a profit from it. I still have several rolls of original Acros, I still have the three-pack I bought in Japan and that was three and a half years ago. I haven't shot any for a few years for various reasons.
Let's hope you're right about 400h, and that it comes back soon and not at a jacked up price. It really is an outstanding film.

I didn't know that about Acros II. Thanks for the insight. Makes sense now. I cynically thought it was just a marketing ploy. My bad....shouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly. I really like the original Acros, and still have about 7 or 8 rolls in 120 and 135, which I've been saving for a special occasion :-) . Lovely silvery midtones in that film. Very unique.

01-17-2021, 10:15 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Acros II is supposedly made by Ilford - but I’m not aware of an official announcement confirming it.

Here’s a article: It looks like Fujifilm's new Across II might be being made by Ilford - DIY Photography
01-18-2021, 04:53 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Acros II is supposedly made by Ilford - but I’m not aware of an official announcement confirming it.

Here’s a article: It looks like Fujifilm's new Across II might be being made by Ilford - DIY Photography
Ilford haven't confirmed it but unless some other company has secretly set up a factory in the UK, Ilford are the only ones.

Fuji Acros II confirmed to be made in UK. Original post by Photoklassik International in first comment. : AnalogCommunity
01-18-2021, 09:06 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I sure that Fuji is making the film in Japan and Ilford spools and packages it.

01-20-2021, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote

????

Made in <> assembled in.
01-21-2021, 01:18 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sure that Fuji
Do you have any reference for that? Harman Technology, of whom Ilford is the premium but not only brand, produces a lot of b&w material for other companies according to the descriptions on fotoimpex.de, who btw. indeed have started their own small-scale independent specialty production in Germany.
01-21-2021, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

No way. Manufacture a product in Japan and then ship it to the UK for spooling and packaging when Fujifilm already have the capacity to do that themselves in Japan?

It's definitely Ilford. It's not cost effective for Fujifilm to manufacture a single B&W film themselves when they can outsource it.

01-21-2021, 02:57 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
????

Made in <> assembled in.
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Do you have any reference for that? Harman Technology, of whom Ilford is the premium but not only brand, produces a lot of b&w material for other companies according to the descriptions on fotoimpex.de, who btw. indeed have started their own small-scale independent specialty production in Germany.
No way. Manufacture a product in Japan and then ship it to the UK for spooling and packaging when Fujifilm already have the capacity to do that themselves in Japan?

It's definitely Ilford. It's not cost effective for Fujifilm to manufacture a single B&W film themselves when they can outsource it.
QuoteQuote:
The new packaging for 120 format comes with 'Made in UK' labelling and is only available in single rolls compared to Fujifilms normal 5-roll packs leading to speculation about the films origin. Although the emulsion coating is still undertaken at the Kanagawa Factory, Ashigara in Japan, conversion and packaging has been outsourced to Harman Technology (Ilford Photo) in the UK. [6]
Neopan - Wikipedia
01-21-2021, 03:10 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just if somebody also is looking for it: It's in the comments on reference 6, citing a Japanese Instragram post.
01-21-2021, 06:01 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Just if somebody also is looking for it: It's in the comments on reference 6, citing a Japanese Instragram post.
And ?
01-21-2021, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure what you're looking for - an Instagram post, which apparently isn't accessible anymore, is what's referred to in reference #6 in Wikipedia on kosmofoto to support the statement that the film is manufactured/packaged by Harman from emulsions/coated material produced by Fuji in Japan. I just posted the hint because the article itself just cites Ilford stating that it's not a repackaged Ilford film (obvious, it behaves differently), but doesn't contain any information on whether Harman manufactures the emulsion or not, which is easily overlooked in the comments. Thanks for the reference.
01-21-2021, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have already indicated that I’m not 100% convinced Ilford is manufacturing this film. However my point was that you can’t label a product “Made in the xxx” by taking something made somewhere else like Japan and then merely package it / cutting / finishing assembly etc. that isn’t, “made” that’s merely assembled. To be made has specific regulatory requirements in various counties.

HOWEVER... in the UK it appears that this particular hypothetical case might indeed meet the requirements:

"made" in the UK claim? | UK Business Forums

The law in the UK is pretty vague, but a few court cases have occurred over time and the level of effort and degree of expertise required to take the raw materials and change them into the finished product seem to be the key determinant factors.

At this point I feel like we don’t have enough info. Ilford has only said they don’t do, “White labeling” as the practice is sometimes known. Meaning they don’t take their film and put it into other brands boxes. That isn’t the same as saying they don’t make film for other companies. The subtle difference being that they might make film using specifications from someone else - or - they might develop a line of film that was only intended for another company. Essentially they are saying that they never put an Ilford branded film into a non Ilford branded box.

Honestly at this point all I can be sure of is that somewhere in the UK final assembly of the product is happening with enough substantial effort that they label it made in the UK.
02-01-2021, 05:40 AM   #28
Pentaxian

FYI I noticed that the latest Instagram post from Fuji's Pro Film account was using Superia 400 whereas previously it used almost exclusively 400H.
02-01-2021, 06:46 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FYI I noticed that the latest Instagram post from Fuji's Pro Film account was using Superia 400 whereas previously it used almost exclusively 400H.
Yes, I noticed that too. Up until the day they discontinued 400h they were still posting images made with it, hence my optimism that the rumours of it's demise were just that - rumours. Not so, sadly. I hope they find a way to bring it back. Wonderful film.
02-02-2021, 07:47 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I saw another post this morning and it was Provia. Maybe they'll move to posting more stuff with slide film, but I like the colours from colour negative film more (in general, depends on the type of photo).

I have been looking around and seen some 400H going for extortionate prices for a single roll of 135 film. So no change from the last five years or so.