Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I think the cool color cast from early morning light or warm late afternoon light is something you often want to capture instead of canceling it out with a filter. But old-school negative film color printing you could correct color temperature when making the print to a degree if you wanted to. And of course scanning color balance is a choice you get to make as well without filters. It's slide film where the first generation image is where you want to color corrected the most with filters. With negative film, it's all about the medium of the second generation image (eg print, computer screen)
So no filters for you then? Me neither, but I was just curious. Seems like it's far preferable to adjust in PP than to have to live with the wrong choice of filter. The only issue I ever had with colour balance on neg scans was that Portra 160 on the sunny day Iceland shots (which was more than likely the vintage lens adding it's own colour cast). Other than that, it's never been a problem.

Last edited by Viking42; 02-03-2021 at 07:28 PM.
02-05-2021, 11:47 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
So no filters for you then? Me neither, but I was just curious. Seems like it's far preferable to adjust in PP than to have to live with the wrong choice of filter. The only issue I ever had with colour balance on neg scans was that Portra 160 on the sunny day Iceland shots (which was more than likely the vintage lens adding it's own colour cast). Other than that, it's never been a problem.
Well, I don't shoot a lot of color negative film. And I don't do old-school wet color printing anymore. So there is not much need to use warm/cool color to adjust color balance with that film in general. But I started doing my own E-6 development last year. That film can be real sensitive to excess blue in shadows and weather conditions. So I'll use filters with slide film so they look okay on a light table.
02-05-2021, 12:07 PM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
As a general question re. colour correction filters, do any of you use them as a matter of routine with colour neg films to correct for differing daylight conditions? E.g. overcast, shade, full sun, etc.
I own a couple of warming filters, but can count the number of times I have used them on the fingers of one hand.

Steve
02-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I own a couple of warming filters, but can count the number of times I have used them on the fingers of one hand.

Steve

Me also -- I think I might still have one tucked away somewhere. Probably bought in the early '80s. I don't think I've ever used it.

02-06-2021, 10:49 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a Skylight filter at the minimum for all my colour shooting. Especially important with slide film, even the new E100.

Phil.
02-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I use a Skylight filter at the minimum for all my colour shooting. Especially important with slide film, even the new E100.

Phil.
Good one Phil. That little touch of warmth makes a difference. Haven't shot slide film in many years...might have to try it again one day.
02-07-2021, 07:42 PM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Phil.
Meaning skylight 1A or 1B? While some online "experts" claim that 1A is clear glass, such is not the case in my filter box; those I have are light pink. It has been years since I have shot slide film, but if I were to start again today, I would be using those filters.

Steve

02-07-2021, 08:34 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Meaning skylight 1A or 1B? While some online "experts" claim that 1A is clear glass, such is not the case in my filter box; those I have are light pink. It has been years since I have shot slide film, but if I were to start again today, I would be using those filters.

Steve
Skylight, KR 1.5 (1A), yep it's slight pink in colour. (I use an 81A/81B when it's more cloudy out.)

Phil.
02-08-2021, 11:19 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Provia 100F is really blue sensitive in the shadows. If you apply a warming filter to the fix the blue in the shadows here, it might be at the expense of the sunny parts. I did some studio lighting shots with 100F and E100. A 100F shot that was a little blue with no filter but was too warm with an 81B that I tried. But with the same lighting and no filter the Ektachrome E100 did just fine. So you have to experiment with level of warming filters vs film type.

Provia 100F

02-09-2021, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you watch eBay you will occasionally find a good deal on so-called "Moose" filters, a combination of 81A warming filter and circular polarizer.
These were introduced about 20 years ago and were quite popular among color slide shooters.
I have several in my most often used sizes, though my linear polarizers are more often used.

Chris
02-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If you watch eBay you will occasionally find a good deal on so-called "Moose" filters, a combination of 81A warming filter and circular polarizer.
I am pretty sure they are still available new. At least Adorama has them...

https://www.adorama.com/hy52cplw.html?

Steve
03-01-2021, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just sent off my last two rolls of Pro 400H. One was shot in my Yashica Mat 124G, the other in my Ondu pinhole camera. (Funnily enough I send five films off to be developed this afternoon and they were all taken using different cameras!)
04-25-2021, 12:15 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I bought last batch (10 pieces) at my local supplier for around 10 euros per 35mm roll. Now on eBay I see rolls listed (and sold) for like, 25 euros a piece.

World is going crazy...
04-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
I bought last batch (10 pieces) at my local supplier for around 10 euros per 35mm roll. Now on eBay I see rolls listed (and sold) for like, 25 euros a piece.

World is going crazy...
€10 a roll was a good price. I've read reports of 400H going for crazy money now.