Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2020, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I think these are great shots. Love the deep contrast.
@Stevebrot - interesting comments about citric acid being strong. I typically treat it as weaker than Glacial Acetic Acid that I have in the lab.
Concentration is key, isn’t it.
Your point is well-made and well-taken. I was thinking about the forms available to consumers (scale remover and such) that come with strongly worded warnings. In terms of strength, I believe the pKa tables show even the weakest species of citric acid as slightly stronger that acetic acid.

Steve

(...does very much remember working with Glacial Acetic Acid back in the day...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-19-2020 at 01:36 PM. Reason: clarity and style
12-19-2020, 01:59 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Your point is well-made and well-taken. I was thinking about the forms available to consumers (scale remover and such) that come with strongly worded warnings. In terms of strength, I believe the pKa tables show even the weakest species of citric acid as slightly stronger that acetic acid.

Steve

(...does very much remember working with Glacial Acetic Acid back in the day...)
Very well mentioned about pKa values too.
I need to consider all aspects also, very evidently.
Glacial acetic acid is a difficult one to forget for smell alone...
12-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I think these are great shots. Love the deep contrast.
@Stevebrot - interesting comments about citric acid being strong. I typically treat it as weaker than Glacial Acetic Acid that I have in the lab.
Concentration is key, isn’t it.
Hey thanks!
01-05-2021, 12:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Right now I only have an Epson V550, which doesn't focus perfectly on the film and that's part of the reason why you see chunky grain, it gets introduced after the scan when trying to correct for the scanner's lack of detail and contrast.
I've also found the V550 less than perfect. I'm not sure if the lack of sharpness and the graininess is it or the negative (ie my poor photography skills). Some of the Epson scanners have holders with adjustable feet to aid with focusing. But not the V550. I've just bought a thin light box (Huion A4) and I'm going to use the V550 to find the best shots and then I'm going to scan keepers with my K1 and the D FA 100 macro but still use the Epson holders. I know it's probably overkill but if the photo is worth working with then it's worth working with. I've also just left some colour film to be developed at a lab and I'm paying extra to get a drum scan. It'll be a good way to benchmark against the Epson once I pick up the negatives.

Huion A4 LED Light Pad Tracing Light Box Adjustable Brightness AC Powered - 12.2x8.3 Inch: amazon.com.au: Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&