Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2021, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That looks excellent. Well done. Nice range of tones. Gutsy tonality. I like it! I might have to experiment with Rodinal semi-stand at some point. I've been reluctant because of all the problems I've read about the full stand method. Seems like semi-stand really gets around those issues. I will try it with FP4 first, as I've been looking for a different developer for it for some time, and haven't been jazzed about any of them so far.

Thanks for posting that.

01-17-2021, 10:15 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
That looks excellent. Well done. Nice range of tones. Gutsy tonality. I like it! I might have to experiment with Rodinal semi-stand at some point. I've been reluctant because of all the problems I've read about the full stand method. Seems like semi-stand really gets around those issues. I will try it with FP4 first, as I've been looking for a different developer for it for some time, and haven't been jazzed about any of them so far.

Thanks for posting that.
I'll be really interested to see how FP4 looks developed that way. I've been looking forward to getting some more of it.
01-18-2021, 11:06 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll definitely let you know if I try it. And likewise, drop a line here if you get to it first
01-24-2021, 09:59 AM - 3 Likes   #64
Pentaxian

FP4+, Rodinal 1+100 semi-stand

01-24-2021, 11:16 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tuco, those are great. I'm really starting to think about Rodinal as my next developer when I'm done with my current bottle of F76+.
01-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
tuco, those are great. I'm really starting to think about Rodinal as my next developer when I'm done with my current bottle of F76+.
Thanks. The long-lasting, single-shot nature of the developer makes it an easy one to use and stock on the shelf.
01-24-2021, 05:17 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote

Stunning!

01-24-2021, 08:01 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn! Those look great. Wonderful sense of light in both...luminous...esp. the lemonade shot. Call me impressed! I have never been able to get FP4 to look like that. Definitely will try this method for that film. Thanks for posting Tuco.
01-24-2021, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Stunning!
Damn! Those look great. Wonderful sense of light in both...luminous...esp. the lemonade shot. Call me impressed! I have never been able to get FP4 to look like that. Definitely will try this method for that film. Thanks for posting Tuco.
Thanks you guys.

I also have developed FP4+ in PMK Pyro and D-23. I'm satisfied with the results with those developers too. Here is testing the DR from normal development with PMK and FP4+

Last edited by tuco; 01-24-2021 at 09:49 PM.
01-27-2021, 07:42 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That looks great Tuco! No issues with DR on that shot . Snowy day in full sun...not so easy, eh? I've never tried the pyro brews because of mixed reports of success and failure with some of them. Not sure if PMK was one of the troublesome ones. Pyrocat HD seems to be reliable, though, by all accounts. Might have to try that one day.... Any issues with PMK?

Re. D23, I'm with you on that one...or at least metol-only developers. Perceptol is similar, and is one of my favourite developers, ever. Love that stuff. I use it one-shot, diluted 1+1, which seems to be the sweet spot with it. It's pretty much the only one I will use with PanF and FP4 for landscapes and nature. Gradations are lovely. And it's a must for winter scenes -- tames the dynamic range beautifully, even with a contrasty film like PanF. I have a home brew recipe so I can mix up a batch in no time from raw chems.
01-27-2021, 11:19 PM   #71
Pentaxian

That looks great Tuco! No issues with DR on that shot . Snowy day in full sun...not so easy, eh?
Thanks. That is sand not snow.

QuoteQuote:
I've never tried the pyro brews because of mixed reports of success and failure with some of them. Not sure if PMK was one of the troublesome ones. ... Any issues with PMK?
I've been using PMK since around 1995 and have lots of examples with that developer. Some issues I've seen people talk about you need to look at the grain structure so close it is arguably insignificant most the time. The develop does highlight compression well (N-3 and more) but not a good developer for highlight expansion (N+2 and more).

QuoteQuote:
Re. D23, I'm with you on that one...or at least metol-only developers.
Last Fall I did some cemetery in the fog pictures with D-23 and PanF+ with my Pano camera. I was really pleased with how they turned out.
01-28-2021, 06:31 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. That is sand not snow.
Too funny! But understandable from someone from the Great White North looking at that photo in the middle of January. "Oh goody....more snow...."

QuoteQuote:
Last Fall I did some cemetery in the fog pictures with D-23 and PanF+ with my Pano camera. I was really pleased with how they turned out.
Have you ever tried Perceptol with PanF? Wonderful combo. It has a bit of punch like D76/ID11, but lovely gradations and a touch of softer contrast that is really nice. Highlight control is excellent. And super-sharp if used diluted, one-shot. Works brilliantly with Acros as well, and in fact Fuji states it to be their recommended developer. It seems the addition of salt in the formula gives it a bit more activity than other metol-only formulas, resulting in more snappy looking images.
01-28-2021, 08:54 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Have you ever tried Perceptol with PanF? Wonderful combo. ...
No, I have not. Perhaps one day I'll give it a try.
01-29-2021, 09:06 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Give it a whirl with TriX sometime too -- beautiful upper mid-tones and highlights, very luminous silvery look. Grain is fine, and sharp, sharp, sharp. Great combo. Looks a bit like Acros tonally, but with the upper mids emphasized more...not as mid-grey heavy as Acros can be, if you know what I mean. Use diluted at 1+1 only...or maybe 1+2 max dilution.
01-29-2021, 09:57 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Give it a whirl with TriX sometime too -- beautiful upper mid-tones and highlights, very luminous silvery look. Grain is fine, and sharp, sharp, sharp. Great combo. Looks a bit like Acros tonally, but with the upper mids emphasized more...not as mid-grey heavy as Acros can be, if you know what I mean. Use diluted at 1+1 only...or maybe 1+2 max dilution.
Which Tri-X, 320TXP or 400TX?

Here are a couple of 320TXP and PMK

Acros and PMK

Last edited by tuco; 01-29-2021 at 10:11 AM.