Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2021, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What film for wildlife photography in 1997?

This might be fun (and probably in the wrong forum) but...

...as a big Jurassic Park fan I put together a Nikon F5, 85mm 1.8D lens, and Hoya HMC Skylight filter as a copy of the one used in The Lost World (They also used F100's but bleh ). I want to get round to taking some nice photos of it and other Jurassic Park-y equipment but I thought it'd be cool to include some appropriate rolls of film for flavour.

So what would a wildlife photographer use film-wise, money no object, in 1997? After scouring the "discontinued films" Wikipedia page I ended up with Ektar 1000 as being pretty fast and pro-grade but there might be a better or more accurate option. I don't know enough about older films or wildlife photography (I just shove fistfuls of Portra 400 into my camera to shoot sheep).

Cheers

02-03-2021, 02:03 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The short answer would be Kodachrome 64 Professional since most magazines required it. (At least that is what my wildlife photographer friends told me and what they were shooting up until they went digital.)

Steve
02-03-2021, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for some flavor of Kodachrome, 25 or 64 or 200.

Phil.
02-03-2021, 05:10 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since you cannot get Kodachrome, Ektachrome would be a film also used and it is made again.

With color negative it is much harder to get the color adjusted and likely slide had higher resolution (especially Kodachrome). With slides you see the colors and can then adjust if need be.

02-03-2021, 05:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By the late '90's the publication game was largely Fuji Velvia for anything possible at that slow speed (50), Kodak chrome films popular in the '80's had fallen away by the early '90's but bounced back with E100VS for "very saturated" in 1999. Fuji Provia 400 got the high speed nod along with some holdout Ektachrome 200 fans--both were so grainy that we all tried to stay with Velvia 50 and Provia 100. I probably still have each of these films in the freezer...35mm and 120 rolls if you need them for accuracy and want them cheap--like free. Can't recall anybody in the late '90's using Kodachrome 64 other than scientific "record" stuff requiring less saturated colors. Pretty much all magazine work was Fuji by then. Check the BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year Contest books for worldwide "prove its" or to see that I'm correct on this if you doubt me.
02-04-2021, 08:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for the Fuji slide films for magazine use.
I was told that they had more saturated colours so that after the loss from printing they looked right.
That may not suit your use.
02-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A 2013 quote from the National Geographic Photographer, Steve McCurry who took the famous "Afghan Girl" photo using Kodachrome back in 1984:

I’ve been shooting digital for years, but I don’t think you can make a better photograph under certain conditions than you can with Kodachrome. If you have good light and you’re at a fairly high shutter speed, it’s going to be a brilliant color photograph. It had a great color palette. It wasn’t too garish. Some films are like you’re on a drug or something. Velvia made everything so saturated and wildly over-the-top, too electric. Kodachrome had more poetry in it, a softness, an elegance. With digital photography, you gain many benefits [but] you have to put in post-production. [With Kodachrome] you take it out of the box and the pictures are already brilliant.

Phil.

02-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Velvia made everything so saturated and wildly over-the-top, too electric.
I shot Fujichrome 100* during the 1990s for landscapes with excellent results, but Velvia RVP was simply too much for my subjects. I would never have considered it at the time for use where color fidelity or general tonality were a priority. As for Velvia (released 1990) eclipsing Kodachrome 64 by 1993 (Jurassic Park), I think not.

Steve

* It may have been labeled Fujichrome Professional 100 at the time, but short of unmounting a few slides to check the edge imprint, it is hard to tell.
02-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. Some really interesting stuff! I'm not particularly looking to the film so I'll likely be looking at expired stuff.

I will shoot Ron Boggs a PM though!
02-04-2021, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kodachrome might be "period correct" but today it cannot be processed as color slides.

I'd choose fresh current (new) Ektachrome E100 for good results with the right "look".

Chris