Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2021, 09:43 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Pandemic and mail-in film processing

Hello,

Needless to say, the pandemic has impacted our lives everywhere. For over a decade, ever since all local film processing places disappeared, I've used Wayne's Photo in Kansas exclusively for my film processing. Great quality, great service and reasonable pricing. They have a disclaimer in their website that due to the pandemic's impact in supplies, a 10 day delay is expected. What used to be a few days turn around time suddenly became 2 weeks. Fine. Negs usually arrive a few days after receiving the online scans. USPS transit time to and from them has never really been an issue. Then a few months ago it was 2 and a half weeks from the time they received the roll to the time I got my online scans. Now my latest roll was received (credit card charged) over 3 weeks ago. I called them today and I was told it was still in process so it would be a few more days.
I am by no means ranting on them. I'm sure they are doing their best and as long as the quality is there I'll wait. But I think it must be hurting them and most likely the story is similar for other places as well.
What's your experience?

Thanks,
Ismael

02-16-2021, 02:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The week before the first lockdown here last year I sent a roll away to DSCL, my usual lab here in the UK. The lab was understandably closed during the lockdown, then about three months later I got a phone call. The envelope with my film in had torn open somewhere during its three months in limbo and the film was untraceable, although the order form was still in it for them to contact me. It's only this week that I've started feeling like risking shooting some film again, and I'm going to be at least double-enveloping it before sending it off for processing.
02-16-2021, 08:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been using the Darkroom out of San Clemente, CA for years, and at first there a long pause in their acceptance of new film. Lately though, things seem to be back to normal, or fairly so. I live in Pennsylvania, and typically it takes 4 days for them to receive the film and then 2/3 days to process it and provide the online scan. They weren't accepting new accounts for a while, and I'm not sure if that's still in effect.
02-16-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I usually use local store for color film processing. I still can get the film ready next day, but price of processing increased from $6.50 to > $10.

02-16-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Even the brand of C-41 and E-6 developing kits that I use for the DIYer have had out of inventory and delayed shipping during this past year. And prices are up considerably. But no problems so far with getting BW chemicals.