Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2021, 06:43 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Darkroom shelves...

My DIY darkroom is actually a walk-in closet, with clothes ! Half of the closet is dedicated to clothes , the other half has my enlarger and other darkroom equipment. I could place all my trays side by side on a small table, but that means I would have to remove some clothes from the closet every time I needed to develop prints. Right now I have my trays stacked on shelves, but I gets a little paranoid about spilling chemicals on the rug, or spilling chemicals from the top tray to lower trays.

I live in an apartment so chemical stains on the rug might cost me if I decide to move out. Solution: a "Sterilite 3 Drawer WideCountertop Unit White with Drawers see Picture attached. The smaller unit sitting on top of the larger unit is actually medium sized ! I first ordered this one but when I got it it cannot hold an 8X10 tray. The larger unit is actually the "Wide Unit" it cost me $19.99 plus tax. The Medium unit cos me $10 plus tax ! Those are 11X14 trays inside the Wide unit. I didn't make this up, somebody already tried this and posted the picture on Pinterest

---------- Post added 02-28-21 at 09:42 PM ----------

Oops, Maybe this should have gone to the Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom Forum.

Attached Images

02-28-2021, 09:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good solution for keeping your solutions under control!
03-01-2021, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good solution (pardon the pun) for storing darkroom chemicals.
Molded drawers will prevent any spills from dripping onto floor.

These are not heavy duty but should suffice for occasional use.
I use something similar for storage of my N scale model trains.

FWIW I store my chemistry in a couple of cleaning caddies like this:

They are obviously easy to handle and store neatly on a closet shelf.

Chris
03-01-2021, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I dunno, running water is really handy. Can't you expose the print in the closet, put it in an empty black plastic bag the paper comes in and take it to a blacked-out bathroom to finish the developing? A plywood board over the bathtub is a good place to put developing trays on and you have running water too (can do 16x20 prints). When I lived in an apartment, my bathroom was a darkroom too.

03-01-2021, 11:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
My DIY darkroom is actually a walk-in closet, with clothes !
You do what you gotta do. I've been there, but used PVC piping to construct a stackable shelf for my trays. Drips are inevitable, so you may want to just put down a tarp on the ground or pick up a carpet 'remnant' from a local carpet or big box hardware store (end rolls of runners or plastic turf).

My main concern I would have based on my experience is the airborne dust/lint from your clothes or from the carpet as you close the door.

What do you use for ventilation?
03-01-2021, 10:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A friend would print in his living room and set up his wet area in the kitchen.
It wasn't the ideal arrangement but he managed to turn out excellent prints.

Dust can be a problem practically anywhere.
The darkroom I built in my parents unfinished basement was plagued by dust.

Chris
03-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good idea. I made a tray out of plywood and 2x4 with a plastic lining to contain drips and spills from the trays.
If I am just making a few 'contact sheets' I use color drums in the kitchen instead of filling trays.
Phil

03-07-2021, 09:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Something you might try is single tray developing. Get some wide mouth jars, one for each chemical. Leave the print in the tray and just pour the chemical baths in and out. It's easier and less messy than it sounds.
03-09-2021, 04:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I added a moisture absorbing rug today, just in case...
03-15-2021, 11:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Derek Quote
Something you might try is single tray developing. Get some wide mouth jars, one for each chemical. Leave the print in the tray and just pour the chemical baths in and out. It's easier and less messy than it sounds.
I did that with my 16x20 and 20x24 prints. One tray where I would pour my chemicals back into their bottles each having their own funnel.

To the OP I'd question if make prints is not easy and convenient, how long will you be devoted to going thru with that effort.