Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2021, 04:14 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Accidental over-exposure

Hi All,

I forgot what film I have loaded into my Zeiss Super Ikonta and exposed a roll of Tri-X at 100 instead of 400. Should I ask my lab to pull the exposure by a stop or two? I've not "pulled" Tri-X before so I am not sure how it reacts to it.

Thanks, Kris.

05-17-2021, 04:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Hi All,

I forgot what film I have loaded into my Zeiss Super Ikonta and exposed a roll of Tri-X at 100 instead of 400. Should I ask my lab to pull the exposure by a stop or two? I've not "pulled" Tri-X before so I am not sure how it reacts to it.

Thanks, Kris.
If you tell the lab this they can compensate, in the old days it happened to me several times and when the results came back I saw well exposed pictures. Just tell them you used 100 instead of 400, do not instruct regarding the stops, they know what to do! Think they can safe you from .

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 05-17-2021 at 04:44 AM. Reason: adding missing text
05-17-2021, 04:45 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
If you tell the lab this they can compensate, in the old days it happened to me several times and when the results came back I saw well exposed pictures. Just tell them you used 100 instead of 400, do not instruct regarding the stops, they know what to do! Think they can safe you from .
I have had the same experience with film overexposure and the lab was able to fix it with information I provided on the incorrect ASA I had set.
05-17-2021, 05:39 AM   #4

I used to be able to push or pull the film processing myself at home many years ago, it'll just be in the developer a tad longer and probably wont affect the images very much, better than losing the images completely.

05-17-2021, 06:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Caffenol CL 50min and CLCS 60min.
05-17-2021, 04:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I did an exposure test of Kodak TRI-X 400 and from the looks of it a +2 stops overexposure is a non-event scanning. Of course if your lab can accomodate at no extrax cost - or cost you're willing to pay, then that may be ideal.

BTW, why in the world are you having a lab process your b&w film? Afraid of the dark? . . .
05-17-2021, 06:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just tell the lab what you did. They should be able to adjust processing to compensate.

05-17-2021, 09:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tri-x does well with pushing and pulling. Part of why Tri-X is still made but not plus-x or panatomic-x.
05-20-2021, 04:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
BTW, why in the world are you having a lab process your b&w film? Afraid of the dark? . . .
As my American wife often notes, most Brits live in houses that most in the US would consider the size of a cupboard. I could develop myself with an investment in gear and a certain amount of inventiveness, but the lack of a dust-free place to hang them to dry is an issue. I'd rather pay to have nice clean negs than spend hours dust spotting scans.

And the space situation is about to get worse as we have to move home sometime soon.
05-20-2021, 06:53 AM   #10
Pentaxian

As my American wife often notes, most Brits live in houses that most in the US would consider the size of a cupboard. I could develop myself with an investment in gear and a certain amount of inventiveness, but the lack of a dust-free place to hang them to dry is an issue. I'd rather pay to have nice clean negs than spend hours dust spotting scans.

And the space situation is about to get worse as we have to move home sometime soon.
I was going to suggest you could use a dark bag to take film from the camera to the tank and use the bathroom to hang the film to dry as the humidity helps control dust.

But if you're getting good service for the price then why not.

Was your lab able to process your roll accordingly?
05-21-2021, 01:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I was going to suggest you could use a dark bag to take film from the camera to the tank and use the bathroom to hang the film to dry as the humidity helps control dust.

But if you're getting good service for the price then why not.

Was your lab able to process your roll accordingly?
Not sent it off yet. I usually wait until I have a batch of films to save on postage and packing. With everything going on, I'm not taking many photos at the moment.
05-21-2021, 03:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Not sent it off yet. I usually wait until I have a batch of films to save on postage and packing. With everything going on, I'm not taking many photos at the moment.
You could always make a contribution to the packing of your goods and chattels by photographing your significant other as they meticulously plan and perform miracles of utilising available space, explaining that in years to come it will be most enjoyable to have a record of the proceedings on which to look back.

Then again, you may get the chance to see how much damage can be caused to a camera when used as a blunt instrument, or (worse) placed firmly in areas of the body where it will not easily fit, necessitating a visit to the local A & E department.

Seriously, best of luck with the packing and moving - I may be faced with that myself in the future.
05-21-2021, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Then again, you may get the chance to see how much damage can be caused to a camera when used as a blunt instrument, or (worse) placed firmly in areas of the body where it will not easily fit, necessitating a visit to the local A & E department.
Thankfully the K500/4.5 is still at my friend's house in Ohio. That could do some serious damage in the wrong hands!

K.
05-30-2021, 06:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2 stops over exp in TriX is not a big deal; lots of shadow detail and highlights that will be OK.
Just tell the lab what you did and they should be able to do a compensated or low contrast development
06-10-2021, 05:07 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just told the lab that I had accidentally metered at 100 rather than 400 and could they compensate. I have no idea what they actually did, but have just downloaded the scans and they look fine. For example:

Ayot Manor (1) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

The rest are here.

Thanks all. K.