Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2021, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Refresher Course on Processing Supplies

I recently started shooting film, after a long sabbatical, and was shocked at how much it's going to cost me to send 5 rolls of Tri-X off to The Darkroom.

I gave away all my darkroom equipment several years ago, so I'm working on re-acquiring everything I need to do some "quick and dirty laundry-room processing." It's been a little over a decade since I've done it, so I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything before I start pouring developer.
  • * A changing bag (pretty sure I have one in storage)
  • * Tank and reel
  • * Film Squeegee
  • * Graduated cylinder
  • * Mixing paddles
  • * Amber bottles
  • * Chemistry
  • * an improvised wash tank.
  • * Somewhere clean / dry to hang the film for drying
  • * Some clothes pins
  • * A thermometer
  • * A kitchen timer
  • * A sacrificial roll of film to practice loading the reel

I'm not currently interested in printing, so I'm just going to use a flatbed scanner for now.....

06-23-2021, 01:52 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

Quite obvious but don't forget something to open the film canister or retrieve the film leader.

Thanks,
Ismael
06-23-2021, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here's your list with the things crossed out that I don't use. And I bought nearly off of the items I'm suggesting you don't need if you are only developing film and not making prints;

* A changing bag (pretty sure I have one in storage)
* Tank and reel
* Film Squeegee
* Graduated cylinder
* Mixing paddles
* Amber bottles
* Chemistry
* an improvised wash tank.
* Somewhere clean / dry to hang the film for drying
* Some clothes pins
* A thermometer
* A kitchen timer - Use your phone unless you've got an egg timer already
* A sacrificial roll of film to practice loading the reel
06-23-2021, 02:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
I recently started shooting film, after a long sabbatical, and was shocked at how much it's going to cost me to send 5 rolls of Tri-X off to The Darkroom.

I gave away all my darkroom equipment several years ago, so I'm working on re-acquiring everything I need to do some "quick and dirty laundry-room processing." It's been a little over a decade since I've done it, so I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything before I start pouring developer.
  • * A changing bag (pretty sure I have one in storage)
  • * Tank and reel
  • * Film Squeegee
  • * Graduated cylinder
  • * Mixing paddles
  • * Amber bottles
  • * Chemistry
  • * an improvised wash tank.
  • * Somewhere clean / dry to hang the film for drying
  • * Some clothes pins
  • * A thermometer
  • * A kitchen timer
  • * A sacrificial roll of film to practice loading the reel

I'm not currently interested in printing, so I'm just going to use a flatbed scanner for now.....
If your interest in printing changes, and your changing bag is big enough, I have just gotten a nice 23c XL with 75mm, a couple Saunders four blade easels, timer, and some other goodies...

06-23-2021, 02:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

For chemistry, if you want to keep it minimal you can get away with just using a developer & fixer.
For the stop bath I just mix water & 5% distilled white vinegar (1:3)(can be found cheap at the dollar store), mainly because it's one less chemical to worry about, plus you can just dump it down the drain afterwards.
06-23-2021, 02:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

• Archive Sleeves
  • Chemistry
    • Wetting Agent (reduces need for squeegee)
  • Small fan for drying
06-23-2021, 03:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GraLab 300 timer

The large face is easy to see from across the room.
It will do double duty when you get your enlarger.

Chris

06-23-2021, 04:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
GraLab 300 timer

The large face is easy to see from across the room.
It will do double duty when you get your enlarger.

Chris
Hindsight is always 20/20. I used to have a 300 and a pair of 60 second time-o-lights.

I see myself quickly going full steam into my re-discovered interest….I went ahead and mailed a couple rolls off to the lab today, but I may not be patient enough to wait on future ones.

Also, BTW the camera you sent me is working great. Thanks again!
06-23-2021, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I have found the Massive Dev app indispensable. iOS or Android.
Digitaltruth Photo - Massive Dev Chart Film Developing App
06-23-2021, 05:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hi,

Quite obvious but don't forget something to open the film canister or retrieve the film leader.

Thanks,
Ismael
I always used a combo can/bottle opener. The old kind that a has hook on one end.
06-23-2021, 07:57 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A funnel may or may not be handy for pouring back into the bottles if you want to reuse any of your chemicals.
06-23-2021, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are concerned with chemicals going down the drain, there is always the Caffenol process. Still the fixer to worry about but the steel wool trick neutralizes that fine. I just have a backyard lagoon so I have to be cognizant of what I flush down the drain.
06-24-2021, 04:28 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As @pres589 mentioned, you can still keep things simple. I like the absolutely-essentials approach. A black bag is a must though. The most frustrating thing is that you need to pay more for a good scanner... cheaper ones don’t show the full detail of your film.
06-24-2021, 08:46 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a $1 church key style bottle opener to get the ends off of film cassettes. I own a black changing bag and have never once used it; I do all of my work "in free air" in whatever bathroom I mean dark room I'm working in. Agreed on a funnel, I bought a cheap set of stainless (sorta) funnels. I use a few of those accordion style bottles to hold fixer and agreed on getting some wetting agent to help knock down minerals etc left behind on the negatives. I also got some Edwal Anti-Stat to wash negs with manually and a packet of PEC pads to go with.

I copy my negatives with a 105mm macro lens and my K-5 II on a tripod pointed down on a cheap LED light box. Negatives converted to positives and such with Negative Lab Pro and Lightroom 6. Not sure if I could recommend that again though if one doesn't already own Lightroom 6 as I'm not paying subscriptions to Adobe and Negative Lab Pro is probably never going to some other platform. Kind of a dumb situation worthy of its own thread. So perhaps a good scanner is the smarter path in 2021.
06-28-2021, 11:47 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use economical long shelf life HC110 and Rodinal concentrated syrup film developers.
These are very easy to use immediately mixed with water already at room temperature.

A small graduated baby syringe makes dispensing the required amount much easier.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-28-2021 at 12:34 PM.