Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2021, 09:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Any info on the OG Ilford HP5 (not the"Plus" version)

I got a roll of Ilford HP5 (not the "Plus" version) b&w film, and was woundering if anyone here had any info on it or where I could get info on it? Tried google, but only info for the "Plus" version shows up.

No box came with it, so no idea when it expired.

Attached Images

07-31-2021, 09:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A quick google search showed that HP5+ supplanted HP5 around 1992. So if you have a roll of HP5, it is old.
08-01-2021, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

This Ilford chronology (link) indicates HP5 was launched in 1976 and HP5+ was launched in 1989.
Ilford History and Chronology

In there, there is a link to a pdf of an article on the HP5+ release discussing it, and how it was basically an upgrade to keep up with Kodak's Tri-X as they were the top 2 choices for press use.

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Chronology/HP5+_Photopro_Winter1989-90.pdf

Thanks,
Ismael
08-01-2021, 06:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Better than old Tri-X!

Once I began exploring films not sold in a yellow box this soon became my favorite.

I shot tons of this film in the early 1980's.
I sure wish Ilford still made old (non- "Plus") HP5!

BTW the old Ilford cassettes were reusable and excellent for bulk-loading.

Chris

08-01-2021, 07:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used to use HP5 in my old MX !

Then I used HP5+. Also Ilford made (and still do) a b+W film (XP2) that had to be processed using C41 , ie colour chemicals.

Last edited by pschlute; 08-01-2021 at 07:52 AM.
08-01-2021, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Also Ilford made (and still do) a b+W film (XP2) that had to be processed using C41 , ie colour chemicals.
I never understood why this would be desirable, until I noticed how much more expensive it is to get BW processing from the LCS (their C41 prices are particularly good though, compared to online services at least)
08-01-2021, 10:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Once I began exploring films not sold in a yellow box this soon became my favorite.

I shot tons of this film in the early 1980's.
I sure wish Ilford still made old (non- "Plus") HP5!

BTW the old Ilford cassettes were reusable and excellent for bulk-loading.

Chris
Truthfully, I wouldn't be surprised if Ilford was using the old HP5 formula (or a modified version of it) for smaller companys like Ultrafine that sell their own (rebadged) film

That was one of the reasons I bought it, my G.A.S. turned into C.F.T. (Collecting Film Things), which is now collecting old 35mm film cassettes. I already got a Agfachrome 64 & Kodak Plus-X cassettes, now the Ilford one (well once I shoot it & get it back).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-T113  Photo 
08-01-2021, 01:11 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I never understood why this would be desirable, until I noticed how much more expensive it is to get BW processing from the LCS (their C41 prices are particularly good though, compared to online services at least)
I think you nailed it. When XP2 came out the old camera shops were fast disappearing, being replaced with photo-shops that did automated processing of mainly colour film.
08-02-2021, 12:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
The main reason for the XP2 is that films based on the C41 technology (color films) have a very wide exposure margin of several f-stops, while B&W films have a very limited exposure margin and should be exposed to the point. The Ilford XP2 on the contrary can be exposed in the range of ISO 200 to ISO 800 on the same roll, the individual pictures will have different density and grain, according to the ISO used as base for the exposure.

So far the theory. I still have my XP2s in the box waiting for exposure.
08-02-2021, 08:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
The main reason for the XP2 is that films based on the C41 technology (color films) have a very wide exposure margin of several f-stops, while B&W films have a very limited exposure .
Tabular grain BW films have a wide exposure index too. I have shot 400TMY at EI 50, 100, 400 and 800, for example.
08-02-2021, 03:34 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can't shoot vastly different EI's on the same roll however most conventional BW films have pretty good exposure latitude.

Please, let's not scare away any more potential users!

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-02-2021 at 04:29 PM.
08-02-2021, 06:09 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Kodak says in their 400TX data sheet, for example, that you can shoot it at EI 800 and develop it normally due to its lattitude. That means, yes, on the same roll you can mix shooting at EI 200, 400 and 800 because at EI 200 placing your middle grey exposure up one stop is not that much over exposed for Tri-X most of the time.

Last edited by tuco; 08-02-2021 at 10:04 PM.
08-03-2021, 12:33 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'am sorry for being inaccurate. Of course you can shoot every B&W film on other ISO then the one it is specified for. But you usually have to develop it accordingly.
And of course higher ISO films have a higher latitude, so that one stop overexposure is no problem at all for a ISO 400 B&W. You just should not do that with every B&W film unless you now what you are doing.

The XP2 on the other side can be developed in the C41 standard process and have the full dynamic range of a comparable negative film at ISO 100 as well as ISO 800 and you can set exposure to ISO 1.600 without running in issues as well. I do not believe you can do that with any B&W film.

The XP2 is for people that want a monochrome film and do not want to bother with self development. And for these it is very versatile.
08-03-2021, 05:42 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

We may be getting a bit off topic here from the OP, but back about 20 years ago, local development of B&W as well as color slides were getting hard to find as most places had automated C41 equipment only. That's when C41 monochrome films like Kodak BW400CN were a savior. But then ANY local film processing disappeared about 10 years ago and I am now back to the 70's: mailing my rolls for processing. That means I can go back to true B&W film since I have to mail it anyways. I'd love to, but I don't have the time/space to play with self development.

Thanks,
Ismael
08-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

This Ilford chronology (link) indicates HP5 was launched in 1976 and HP5+ was launched in 1989.
Ilford History and Chronology

In there, there is a link to a pdf of an article on the HP5+ release discussing it, and how it was basically an upgrade to keep up with Kodak's Tri-X as they were the top 2 choices for press use.

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Chronology/HP5+_Photopro_Winter1989-90.pdf

Thanks,
Ismael
Good to see that the developing times between HP5 & HP5+ are the same/didnt change, so when I evetually shoot it & send it out to be developed I can tell the person developing it to use the HP5+ times.