Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2021, 07:13 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Delta 100 and T-Max films are both the newer T-grain films unlike the old cubic grain film found in Tri-X and HP5+/FP4+. I've have shot a lot of 400TMY.

Yup, got it. For most of my shooting I find I prefer the older emulsions. They just seem to have more depth and character. But I admit to having limited experience with the T-grain films, and most of it has been mediocre and I haven't been wowed. However, now that I am doing some digging into how to get more character out of them, I'm getting the sense that I just didn't develop them the right way. E.g. for Delta 100 I only used Perceptol @ 1+1 (my preferred developer for landscapes and nature), which gives very fine grain and softer contrast. It's just not a good match for this film I think. No wonder I didn't like it. It seems to need D76/ID11 for more guts. Likewise our discussion of Tmax - more agitation man!

The renewed interest in these films is that I want to shoot more with my 35mm cameras, and get the best possible sharpness and fine grain from the negs, while still maintaining that classic film character. That, and I am looking for an alternative to PanF as my primary landscape film. It's a wonderful emulsion and capable of beautiful results. But it's finicky about storage, esp. after exposure - it has to be developed pronto. That kind of handling doesn't always suit my lifestyle, and I'd like something more forgiving.

Fun journey....hope it works out.

11-13-2021, 06:48 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Question for Mike- are you JUST developing film or do you intend to also do wet prints (vs. digital scan and print)? If so, I will suggest a tank for photo paper. Development is then much like using a film tank in full light rather than staring into a pan using red light. I found development of prints using a clock was MUCH better than what I THOUGHT I was seeing in the pan.

For what it is worth, I sold my wet lab equipment a decade ago after it sat boxed up for most of a decade. Digital tools are great, but dodging & burning below an enlarger head is pure artistry.
11-13-2021, 11:56 PM   #48
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Question for Mike- are you JUST developing film or do you intend to also do wet prints (vs. digital scan and print)? If so, I will suggest a tank for photo paper. Development is then much like using a film tank in full light rather than staring into a pan using red light. I found development of prints using a clock was MUCH better than what I THOUGHT I was seeing in the pan.

For what it is worth, I sold my wet lab equipment a decade ago after it sat boxed up for most of a decade. Digital tools are great, but dodging & burning below an enlarger head is pure artistry.
At present, Jim, I'm only looking to develop film as part of a hybrid analogue / digital workflow. I'm just getting started with film photography and I'm entirely inexperienced in the variety of films and range of developers and techniques to process them with. Given that I don't dedicate a huge amount of time to the hobby, it'll take me some time to become proficient in just a small subset of these, so I figure I've plenty to be getting on with for now.

I won't deny, though, the thought of creating my own wet prints is enticing. I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility in years to come...
11-14-2021, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #49
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Folks, I wanted to thank you all for your input. I've now equipped myself for developing, and I'm only waiting on delivery of some developer and fixer chemicals which I should have by the middle of the week. I'm all set... and now the real fun begins

11-14-2021, 07:01 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Digital tools are great, but dodging & burning below an enlarger head is pure artistry.

That, the Sabattier effect (solarisation) and the lingering odour of the chemicals is what I miss most
11-14-2021, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A long list of products. I keep mine simple and it works fine for me.
A Yankee II developing tank
I use Diafine for development, no need for a stop bath, not temperature or time sensitive.
A daylight loading bag to spool my film on the reel
a Set of film clips to dry with.
Been using this for over 40 years with great success.
11-14-2021, 09:58 AM   #52
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Denver Quote
A long list of products. I keep mine simple and it works fine for me.
A Yankee II developing tank
I use Diafine for development, no need for a stop bath, not temperature or time sensitive.
A daylight loading bag to spool my film on the reel
a Set of film clips to dry with.
Been using this for over 40 years with great success.
Indeed, it is a long list... but I have everything now, so I'm ready to rock 'n' roll. I'd be interested to try Diafine at some point. Perhaps once I've gained some experience with my chosen Rodinal (actually, Fomadon R09) and Ilford Rapid Fixer...