Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2021, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm definitely going to try stand - or, rather, semi-stand - development... but I've decided I'm going to wait until I expose a roll of that HP5+ I have in the freezer. I've seen some great results with HP5+ and Rodinal using semi-stand, and I've heard this film and developer combo works better with this approach compared to regular development. Until then, I'm going to stick with regular development and build up a little experience, learn to understand the results I'm getting and why, and see if I can improve those results through a combination of exposure, development time, agitation etc.
You'll probably eventually run across some folks who say that HP5 and semi-stand with Rodinal is one of the worst choices you can make in developing. Personally I've done it a few times and haven't found anything negative in the results, but they might be a little grainy and, I dunno, generic? From my reading so far, there may be some better developers for HP5 out there than Rodinal, I haven't used HC110 but I know of some folks who get very good results from it. This guy over on Rangefinder Forum is a really good developer of B&W, he has used Rodinal on HP5, but usually uses something else. The HP5 thread over there will probably provide you with some good info, people usually post their recipes with the results.

Good luck! The great thing about HP5 is that you really can't "break" it, it will provide acceptable results however you develop it. My personal advice is: unless you need the compensating action of semi-stand on the negs, you're probably going to find semi-stand is a bit ho-hum, plus kind of boring and time consuming.

12-05-2021, 12:22 PM   #47
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
You'll probably eventually run across some folks who say that HP5 and semi-stand with Rodinal is one of the worst choices you can make in developing. Personally I've done it a few times and haven't found anything negative in the results, but they might be a little grainy and, I dunno, generic? From my reading so far, there may be some better developers for HP5 out there than Rodinal, I haven't used HC110 but I know of some folks who get very good results from it. This guy over on Rangefinder Forum is a really good developer of B&W, he has used Rodinal on HP5, but usually uses something else. The HP5 thread over there will probably provide you with some good info, people usually post their recipes with the results.

Good luck! The great thing about HP5 is that you really can't "break" it, it will provide acceptable results however you develop it. My personal advice is: unless you need the compensating action of semi-stand on the negs, you're probably going to find semi-stand is a bit ho-hum, plus kind of boring and time consuming.
Thanks for that One thing I'm learning about the film community is that for every person who says a particular film / developer / development method doesn't work well, there's another who says it does. At some point, I'm going to start trying things out to satisfy my curiosity and make my own mind up... but that's something for the future when I have a bit more experience
12-05-2021, 01:35 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, for sure it's best to try things yourself. There are film shooters who keep using the same "accessible" developing for a long time, even when their competence gets to be quite capable, just because they don't experiment and instead take the internet's word for things. I know, 'cause... I'm sort of one of them. Hahah.
12-06-2021, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks for that One thing I'm learning about the film community is that for every person who says a particular film / developer / development method doesn't work well, there's another who says it does. At some point, I'm going to start trying things out to satisfy my curiosity and make my own mind up... but that's something for the future when I have a bit more experience

Good insight Mike. And you're bang on about others touting or panning particular film/developer combos -- everyone has an opinion about what works best for them, and many of those people want to influence your own choices. It can be hard to separate out solid sage advice from the purely subjective, especially if you're just starting out. This is a hobby in which personal taste and aesthetics play a major role, so you have to sort out which bits of advice stray into that area (e.g. "too much grain"; "too little shadow detail"), and which are simply pragmatic (e.g. "you will get bromide drag in stand development and ruin your film").

Keep at it. And as said, keep it simple!

I think that lens in your Agfa can produce quite good results. I have not used an Agnar lens (which I think is the one in yours), but I have an Apotar triplet in a Billy Record and an Isolette, and I must say they are wonderful. One of my favourite lenses, actually. Not the sharpest I own, but the tonal rendering and 3-dimensionality are just fantastic.
Those old triplets are rather prone to flare, though, so a lens hood is highly recommended.

Last edited by Viking42; 12-07-2021 at 06:26 AM.
12-06-2021, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
you have to sort out which bits of advice stray into that area (e.g. "too much grain"; "too little shadow detail"), and which are simply pragmatic (e.g. "you will get bromide drag in stand development and ruin your film").
Very well said.
12-07-2021, 06:28 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always use standard development with inversion/agitation.
I have never been interested in stand development.
Perhaps I am too impatient.

Agfa APX100 film in Agfa Rodinal developer was one of my favorite combinations.

For faster films HC110 gives me better results.
I haven't tried Ilfotec HC but I'd expect it to be quite similar.

Chris