Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2022, 11:50 PM   #1
Banned

well, steel or plastic

for tanks adn reels. is steel worth the huge start up cost?

01-11-2022, 12:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Plastic tanks fine.
Invest in a reel with big take-up guides for easy threading.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/122989-REG/Samigon_ESA325_Multi_Forma...981&
01-11-2022, 09:27 AM   #3
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am still using my Nikor stainless steel tanks and reels from 65 years ago.
01-11-2022, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #4

Use what you have otherwise I would start with a Paterson tank and reel. Quite low cost, hight quality and easy to load the reel is.

01-11-2022, 10:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Plastic is much easier and less expensive and if you need the flexibility of developing 35mm, 126, and/or 120/220, plastic is adjustable for three formats. Stainless steel theoretically leaches less chems, but I have yet to see evidence of this affecting film.
01-11-2022, 10:32 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I generally recommend stainless steel tanks unless there is a specific reason to use plastic (I own both). Advantages include durability and ease of cleaning/drying the film reels (persistent problem with the ratchet reels used with plastic tank systems).

Steve
01-11-2022, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that every person new to developing their own film has the same question, as did I.

I first used Paterson tanks and reels in a community college B&W class I took, and then used them in my own darkroom for several years and never had any problems with them. Based on my experience, I always recommended Paterson reels and tanks to others. BTW, I developed some 35mm and a lot of 120 as well as 4x5 sheet film in my darkroom.

Beyond what others have said, my experience is that plastic reels are easier for novices to load and so are probably more beginner friendly, but on the other hand it's reputedly very difficult to load film into wet Paterson reels. Metal reels are reportedly easier to load when wet, and also dry quicker than plastic reels, making them a better choice if you're likely to need to develop more than a couple of rolls of film in a day.

I had a 2-reel tank and two reels, and that was a good fit for how I shot.

In any case, I would strongly recommend you practice loading a reel with an unexposed roll of film a few times before trying it in the dark with a roll of exposed film.

Last edited by wm_brant; 01-11-2022 at 11:48 AM.
01-11-2022, 05:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I prefer stainless steel for a lot of the reasons above. That said, SS is a pain in the ass when I get it wrong, which is often. I've mangled a few rolls. Had to start over many times. Given up in frustration and swapped in a Paterson reel and tank in the changing bag. 120 film is easier than 35mm with SS reels.
01-11-2022, 05:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter

My most used tank is a Jobo 1520.

High quality, expandable, easy to clean and a great simple twist type reel system with no ball bearings etc.
Lots of accessories and can be used with their motorized lifts as well.

Just a great system of high quality, made in Germany.

Oh yeah, Plastic all the way.

https://www.jobo.com/?ecms_lang=EN
01-11-2022, 11:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you process a lot of rolls at a sitting it is easier to wash and dry stainless steel reels quickly.
01-11-2022, 11:12 PM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
originally i had thought about jobo and their line of discontinued paper print drums, but as i am restarting my developing tools I have no issue about patterson or jobo,, All my concerns are the following.

Leakage, is a bad bad thing for me. The AP compact two 35mm/1 120 roll tank leaked badly. At first very little, and then only after the developer was dumped out.. Over time, perhaps 30 rolls of film it went from a few drops , to a steady stream at the end. To the point that i had to keep it inside a plastic bag for containment.

Also, the "best" prints i made were inside that AP compact tank. 5x7. barely fit inside ill admit but it wasnt a long term solution as i never came up with a good way to prevent waterlines on the printing paper.

SO the jobo system is nice, as it would help me get my print drum interest taken care of. And if the jobo claim of making a single tube that can hold 10 spools of 120 format,,,, i could at least do something useful.

But patterson and jobo have never been polite to give me dimensions of their drums.
01-12-2022, 10:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmmaster Quote
Patterson and jobo have never been polite to give me dimensions of their drums.
For film or paper? I didn't realize you were asking about paper drums as I have never seen or heard of metal drums being used for paper processing. Here's a link to the BH website where it clarifies how many roll capacity in a certain format each Paterson, Jobo, Kalt, or Samigon tank.

I've never had a leak issue for film except when a student abused the plastic Paterson with a hairline crack.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Stainless-Steel-Manual-Tanks/ci/760/N/407...981&
01-12-2022, 11:29 PM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
For film or paper? I didn't realize you were asking about paper drums as I have never seen or heard of metal drums being used for paper processing. Here's a link to the BH website where it clarifies how many roll capacity in a certain format each Paterson, Jobo, Kalt, or Samigon tank.

I've never had a leak issue for film except when a student abused the plastic Paterson with a hairline crack.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Stainless-Steel-Manual-Tanks/ci/760/N/407...981&
To clarify, NO one, not manufacturer, nor retailer of Jobo or Paterson developing tanks will give me a measurement of physical sizes of the tanks.

if im lucky they will say "2 rolls of film can be developed at the same time"
01-13-2022, 12:24 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmmaster Quote
To clarify, NO one, not manufacturer, nor retailer of Jobo or Paterson developing tanks will give me a measurement of physical sizes of the tanks.

if im lucky they will say "2 rolls of film can be developed at the same time"
Are you wanting the physical dimensions so that you can use a film developing tank for processing paper? Or so that you can 3D print your own drums? You can still find Jobo and Unicolor drums on eBay.
01-13-2022, 02:04 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don’t know about Paterson but JOBO have a downloadable catalogue on their website www.jobo.com

edit: and retailers like B&H give the package size of the box (or on Amazon you might find actual overall sizes of the tanks). That’ll give you an idea of sizes at least.

Last edited by StiffLegged; 01-13-2022 at 06:02 AM.