Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2022, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

reusable cassettes

All i see is the same rebranded Kalt cannisters,, the plastic ones with the felt coming off non stop.

THe metal ones have become vaporware.

Ultrafine metal cassettes out of stock, their plastic ones dont seem to be kalt as they claim an unslotted center spool.

Lots of people on ebay and etsy selling used film cans that they took apart in order to develop a roll of film at home.

Dpes one simply buy the crappy felted ones, and refelt them?

01-14-2022, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might try Ultra Fine photo warehouse for alternative options.

Bulk Film Loading Supplies - Photography
01-14-2022, 02:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I really appreciate this. I also noticed how the felt on plastic cassettes have just fallen apart on first use with my photo students. I will definitely try the metal snap caps with Ultrafine. I suspect regardless of the plastic branded Kalt, Arista, Samigon, etc, they are all made by the same company and have the same issues.
01-14-2022, 04:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Until a few years ago Kodak marketed good quality metal reloadable 35mm cassettes branded "Kodak Snap Cap 135 Magazines".

These still turn up on eBay and from other online sellers. Suggest it may pay to add snap cap(s) to your search terms.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 01-14-2022 at 06:36 PM.
01-14-2022, 05:41 PM   #5

I might still have a box of maybe a dozen metal ones bought in the 70s-80s. I remember when you could go to a camera/photo processing shop and they would have a bin full of recycled empty cassettes free for the taking for the bulk loaders.
01-14-2022, 08:42 PM   #6
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i used the reusable plastic cassettes for some time until I realized that grit would occasionally get in the felt lips and scratch the film. Once I realized that I stopped using them (and bulk loading my film).
01-14-2022, 11:28 PM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
ultrafine only has the plastic ones

in enlarged photos on various retialers like amazon, it seems as if they used a woven tape to hold the felt on..

would it be possible to use reguler felt, or felt from torn down film cassettes i have ripped up for developing at home?

the film cans i have taken apart, the removable lid always gets mangled

01-15-2022, 01:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I haven't done film photography for a long time, but I remember Ilford cassettes being totally reusable.
Maybe treat yourself to a can of FP4 as a trial, then buy a few more if they're suitable?
01-15-2022, 09:28 AM   #9
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I haven't done film photography for a long time, but I remember Ilford cassettes being totally reusable.
Maybe treat yourself to a can of FP4 as a trial, then buy a few more if they're suitable?
all the Ilford film i have used has been made in the last 3 years hasnt been easy to open. I believe 90% still had lids that couldnt be reused...

or do i need to find the "special" plier style cassette opener sold by Kaiser to open them?

I know that Ilford is supposedly making the REUSABLE metal film cassettes sold by FOMA BOHEMIA in CZ, and the cassettes they roll film into for retail. I have used Foma film and it wasnt in a typical reusable cassette.
01-17-2022, 08:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the 1980s Ilford 35mm films came in an excellent reusable all-metal cassette.
I bulk-loaded then and never had to buy additional new reloadable cassettes.

A member of another photo forum reports that the FSU 35mm metal cassettes
are of very good quality, however I have no personal experience using them.

Hopefully Photo Warehouse will have all types in stock again soon...

Chris
01-17-2022, 11:05 AM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
Sent an email to ilford about the tales of them making the FOMA BOHEMIA reloadable cans, it was denied of course.