Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2022, 01:21 PM   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Magnets and developed negative film?

I have what is probably a very dumb question that thoroughly betrays my lack of detailed knowledge in chemistry and physics

I'm in the process of designing a product for personal use in digitising negatives, and my current design involves several magnets to hold components together whilst allowing them to be separated and moved / adjusted as required. My question: Can magnets have a detrimental effect on developed negative film, either B&W or colour? If so, could this occur within a short time period (a few minutes or hours), or would it be over much more extended timescales?

Many thanks in advance!

03-07-2022, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Can magnets have a detrimental effect on developed negative film, either B&W or colour?
No. Without going into the physics of magnetism standard Silver halide and development products, along with colour film dyes are completely impervious to magnets.
03-07-2022, 01:38 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
No. Without going into the physics of magnetism standard Silver halide and development products, along with colour film dyes are completely impervious to magnets.
Thank you so much - both for the short, unambiguous answer and for not going into the physics, which would assuredly go straight over my head!! Much appreciated
03-07-2022, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

or the short, unambiguous answer and for not going into the physics
You are lucky it's 7AM here and I haven't had my coffee yet.

03-07-2022, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only caveat is for the defunct APS film format which uses magnetic media to hold exposure info. The data is a nice to have UNLESS you remove the film mid-roll. Then it is used to advance to the right exposure later when reloading it to the camera. Using a magnet on this could scramble the data.
03-07-2022, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Permanent magnet should not affect film. I have a 120 film frame (do not remember vendor) which uses small permanent magnets to lock two parts of frame together.
03-07-2022, 01:56 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The only caveat is for the defunct APS film format which uses magnetic media to hold exposure info. The data is a nice to have UNLESS you remove the film mid-roll. Then it is used to advance to the right exposure later when reloading it to the camera. Using a magnet on this could scramble the data.
Thanks, Brad The tool I'm developing - a film holder of sorts - is for 135 and 120 colour and B&W negative film, so this wouldn't be an issue... but it's still good to know, and an interesting advancement (albeit an unenduring one) in film history...

03-07-2022, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #8

FWIW: The Lomography film holders use magnets to hold the parts together.

https://microsites.lomography.com/digitaliza/
03-07-2022, 01:59 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
FWIW: The Lomography film holders use magnets to hold the parts together.
Yes, I've recently bought both the 135 and 120 versions of the Lomography Digitaliza. My question, although primarily related to the development of my own tool, also relates to my use of the Lomography products...
03-07-2022, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #10

I don't think iron is used in modern films. I think it was used in some of the old plate processes in the beginning of photography. Although I suspect given the red color of some of the color development solutions there may be iron in so of the chemistry.

I don't see any cause for concern except for the above mention mag-stripes on APS film. I think the Kodak Disc cameras used mag-stripes as well.
03-07-2022, 02:13 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't think iron is used in modern films. I think it was used in some of the old plate processes in the beginning of photography. Although I suspect given the red color of some of the color development solutions there may be iron in so of the chemistry.

I don't see any cause for concern except for the above mention mag-stripes on APS film. I think the Kodak Disc cameras used mag-stripes as well.
Interesting. Many thanks for that! [I think Kodak Discs are comfortably outside my range of concern ]
03-07-2022, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When you live in Europe, Conrad has a huge assortment of permanent magnets, round, bars, strips, and screwable.
03-07-2022, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can magnets have a detrimental effect on developed negative film, either B&W or colour?
Once upon a time motion picture film used a "mag stripe"; a strip for the audio track. There should be no effect of magnets on developed film.
03-07-2022, 05:35 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

As others have said, magnetic fields won't affect film.

My only word of caution with the design would be that if there is any roughness in the magnet surface or abrasive dust and the mechanism (or person) pulls the magnet in a way that makes it slide across the film before lifting off, then it could scratch the emulsion or base layer. Neodymium/rare earth magnets can be beastly strong and hard to separate and tend to slide first.

You might also take just a bit of care with iron and steel tidbits -- an errant staple that get sucked in and stuck to the magnet and then clamped to the film might not be pleasant.

I look forward to seeing BigMackCam Magno-Scan-O-Matic 3000 in operation!
03-11-2022, 07:37 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think iron is used in modern films.
A lot of red toners use Iron, or copper as it is significantly cheaper* than seleno/sulfite based gold toners**. And in any case even if the images were toned with iron there wouldn't be enough unbound elemental iron to only be weakly affected by magnets. In order to have any significant effect magnets need a ferromagnetic mass that is roughly equal to or greater than their own.

*Unlike gold, Iron and copper have a detrimental effect on the archival longevity of silver gelatin prints.
** gold chloride and sodium thiocyanate, look up Kodak GP-2. labelled as brown toner however if diluted properly, red tones dominate.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-11-2022 at 08:00 PM.