Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2022, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Some advice

Hi,
I have a portrait shoot upcoming, and Id need some advice. I was wondering, whether to go for Kodak Double-X or for a roll of Kodak ColorPlus 200 - just to get that clich film look. Double-X seems pretty straigh-forward to me, however, I was wondering, if shooting the ColorPlus rated at 100 would be of any benefit (pastel-like colours?). What do I need to take care of in development then? (Im a newbie there...). Do you have any tips, examples or experience concerning either the Double-X or the ColorPlus at 100? Ive had great results at 200 so far.
My ambition is to get warm, airy portraits, that are medium to soft contrast, with soft colours.
Thanks a lot!
Jan

04-22-2022, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From my experience, I'd say the Double-X will produce some nice rich and contrasty B-W images.
May I suggest some Portra 160 for portraits? Or if you're indoors, Portra 400?
I find the ColorPlus to be very good, but almost basic. I find the Portra to give that airy, warm, beautiful portraits.
Best luck!
Cheers
04-22-2022, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, I went through a Kodak Colorplus phase a few years ago, shooting about 25 rolls of the stuff over two years. If you're looking for a classic 70's film look, you're on the right path. Warm brown tones, and saturated reds and blues are the results of shooting it at 100. But pastels, no. If that's what you'd like, grab a roll of Kodak Porta 160 instead.

Kodak Colorplus 200 - Day Three on the Juan de Fuca Trail, British Columbia

Portrait shots are always lovely on Portra 400, too. But, if you're looking for pastel colours and a bright and airy atmosphere, I'd still spring for Portra 160, it's just much more subdued compared to its 400 iso sibling which I have always found to be pleasantly punchy.

Porta 400 @ 400 in evening light

I've shot a fair amount of XX as well. Not my jam. The dynamic range is much poorer than other other black and white film stocks. For portraits, I found that its relatively narrower DR yielded blocked up shadows or blown skin tones in anything other than subdued light. YMMV. If you have total control of your light sources, as is often the case for cinema productions, this respooled cinema film could be a good fit. It's not nearly as flexible as Kodak's more consumer oriented b&w stocks, though.

In its place, try a roll of Fomapan 100 classic. It's cheaper for a single roll, has a very wide midtone range (ie: skin tone range), and is a classic film stock that still uses traditional grain structures, unlike more modern T-grain films. Plus, if you want a higher contrast image, you can add contrast when you print your photo. (Less so vice-versa).

Chip on Fomapan 100 @ ISO 80. Developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 9mins. One inversion per minute

But, a great photo has more to do with you as a photographer than the equipment you buy. Most of all, have fun on your shoot and your shots will reflect it! Good luck!

Last edited by Gerbermiester; 04-23-2022 at 11:33 PM.
04-23-2022, 12:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your tips, I'll post some update as son as I have the pictures.

04-23-2022, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Yes with today's choices, Portra 160 will give you a more pastel look. I shoot a lot of BW film but never Double-X to give any advice on that. For a contrasty, 'short-toe' film characteristic results, Rollei RPX 25 and Retro 80 developed in Rodinal will work.

Portra 160, Jobo C-41 Press Kit

Rusty Cars
by tuco, on Flickr

RPX 25, Rodinal 1+50

Legacy Hard Drives
by tuco, on Flickr
04-25-2022, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd suggest Portra also. I used to use Vericolor III back in the day for its wide latitude and I think Portra was its replacement.

04-25-2022, 02:11 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've had surprisingly good luck with Kodak Pro Image 100...
It isn't as portrait-focused as Portra (or the old VPS that preceded it), but I like the results, whether doing people or other things. It's my favorite general-purpose film.
It's not a pastel film (was it the old 3M films that looked like that? or maybe Konica?), but I think the balance is better suited to portraiture than Ektar.

In 120 I shoot a lot of Lomography 100. It's a little pastel-ish, and it definitely has an old-school look that suits people.

And everything Tuco shoots in black and white looks that clean (at least that he shares...). He could probably make 25-year-old TMAX 3200 look like that

I got hold of a couple of rolls of Verichrome Pan 25-ish years ago, just as they were discontinuing it... wow... it was superb for portraits... I can't think of a film today that makes me go "oh, wow" in general like that just from the film alone.

Lately, the biggest uncertainty I've found is in my commercial processing... I'm having a hard time getting consistent results...
I'd suggest, if you're going to process it yourself, that you start with some well-regarded films and tailor your processing to get the results you want. Then stick to that until you decide you want a different look.

Otherwise, when it's processed like I want it to be, I really like FP4 for portraits, and back in the day I loved the old Agfa 100.

-Eric

04-25-2022, 11:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I've had surprisingly good luck with Kodak Pro Image 100...
It isn't as portrait-focused as Portra (or the old VPS that preceded it), but I like the results, whether doing people or other things. It's my favorite general-purpose film.
It's not a pastel film (was it the old 3M films that looked like that? or maybe Konica?), but I think the balance is better suited to portraiture than Ektar.

In 120 I shoot a lot of Lomography 100. It's a little pastel-ish, and it definitely has an old-school look that suits people.

And everything Tuco shoots in black and white looks that clean (at least that he shares...). He could probably make 25-year-old TMAX 3200 look like that

I got hold of a couple of rolls of Verichrome Pan 25-ish years ago, just as they were discontinuing it... wow... it was superb for portraits... I can't think of a film today that makes me go "oh, wow" in general like that just from the film alone.

Lately, the biggest uncertainty I've found is in my commercial processing... I'm having a hard time getting consistent results...
I'd suggest, if you're going to process it yourself, that you start with some well-regarded films and tailor your processing to get the results you want. Then stick to that until you decide you want a different look.

Otherwise, when it's processed like I want it to be, I really like FP4 for portraits, and back in the day I loved the old Agfa 100.

-Eric
Thank you so much! Actually, I've had some really amazing results with ProImage and portraiture, which I didn't expect at all. That's what made me think of the Colorplus.m.