Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2022, 07:58 PM   #1

Waddayamean, only 2 negatives?!

I use an Epson GT-X980 to scan 6x7 negatives. However, the holder has a 20cm limit, so only 2 negatives can be scanned at a time. On the other hand, the film sleeves have only 4 rows, so I have to either cut the negatives into groups of 1 and 2 or use 2 sleeves per roll of film. Anybody know of an Epson negative holder that holds 3-6x7 negatives?

05-23-2022, 12:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I heard that some people have put the film directly on the glass with EpsonScan software. Never tried it.
05-23-2022, 12:14 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Lomography Digitaliza 120 has a scanning window of ~185mm, so it's not wide enough to display three 6x7 shots simultaneously - however, because of the way film is held or fed into it, you're not limited as to how you cut your strips (in fact, you can feed uncut film through it if you wish). You'd just need to reposition the strip to scan the third frame.
05-23-2022, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I heard that some people have put the film directly on the glass with EpsonScan software. Never tried it.

I put the negs directly on the glass (emulsion side down) with my cheapo Epson V370 and the EpsonScan software, with the plastic holder just laid on top to keep them flat. The results are much sharper than using the frame as designed and Newton rings haven't been a problem. But you need to be careful not to slide the film around on the glass or you can get scratches.

I doubt it would make any difference on a scanner with adjustable focus though.

The OP could try putting the 6x7 negatives directly on the glass and holding them flat with a piece of anti-Newton glass. I tried that approach with a piece of ordinary picture frame glass, with lines marked on the glass as a guide to positoning the film, and it worked well apart from the inevitable Newton rings.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 05-23-2022 at 01:56 AM.
05-23-2022, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Conrad Saya Reina Quote
However, the holder has a 20cm limit,
Yep...that is pretty obvious from available product information from Epson. That said, you might be interested in two row holders from betterscanning.com...

Custom Film Holder for Epson V700 V750 V750-M

Steve
05-23-2022, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I tried it. The negatives come out blurry.

---------- Post added 05-23-22 at 07:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The Lomography Digitaliza 120 has a scanning window of ~185mm, so it's not wide enough to display three 6x7 shots simultaneously - however, because of the way film is held or fed into it, you're not limited as to how you cut your strips (in fact, you can feed uncut film through it if you wish). You'd just need to reposition the strip to scan the third frame.
I'm going to give it a try. Thank you for telling me about it. Not available on Amazon, but is available on BH Photo. Here are two video links on how to use it:
05-23-2022, 10:23 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I put the negs directly on the glass (emulsion side down) with my cheapo Epson V370 and the EpsonScan software, with the plastic holder just laid on top to keep them flat. The results are much sharper than using the frame as designed and Newton rings haven't been a problem. But you need to be careful not to slide the film around on the glass or you can get scratches.

I doubt it would make any difference on a scanner with adjustable focus though.

The OP could try putting the 6x7 negatives directly on the glass and holding them flat with a piece of anti-Newton glass. I tried that approach with a piece of ordinary picture frame glass, with lines marked on the glass as a guide to positoning the film, and it worked well apart from the inevitable Newton rings.
I used to put my 35mm negatives on the scanner glass with a strip of glass over them, but the results were unfocused and muddy.

06-08-2022, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I bought one. It works perfectly. No more need to cut a strip of 3 negatives into a group of one and another of two. Thank you very much for the suggestion!
06-08-2022, 02:49 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Conrad Saya Reina Quote
I bought one. It works perfectly. No more need to cut a strip of 3 negatives into a group of one and another of two. Thank you very much for the suggestion!
Oh, I'm delighted to hear that! Thanks very much for letting me know