Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2022, 11:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

APS-C Scanning Lenses

I tried flatbed scanning many years ago and didn't like it, so I'm trying DSLR "scanning" my grandfather's negatives. He left me ~500 rolls of 35mm and 120 when he passed away in 2009. I'm aiming to do a quick and dirty digitalization using my Pentax KP, then I can drop some flash drives in the mail to my dad and his siblings......

I'll also occasionally "scan" the little bit of B&W that I shoot and develop myself.

The only macro that I currently own is a Pentax-A 100 F4 Dental Macro, and it's definitely not the ideal lens for the task at hand.....

I'm trying to gauge which of the below lenses is going to be a better option for quick+dirty copy stand digitalization with an APS-C DSLR.

Pentax-D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro
HD Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro

06-08-2022, 11:59 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
I tried flatbed scanning many years ago and didn't like it, so I'm trying DSLR "scanning" my grandfather's negatives. He left me ~500 rolls of 35mm and 120 when he passed away in 2009. I'm aiming to do a quick and dirty digitalization using my Pentax KP, then I can drop some flash drives in the mail to my dad and his siblings......

I'll also occasionally "scan" the little bit of B&W that I shoot and develop myself.

The only macro that I currently own is a Pentax-A 100 F4 Dental Macro, and it's definitely not the ideal lens for the task at hand.....

I'm trying to gauge which of the below lenses is going to be a better option for quick+dirty copy stand digitalization with an APS-C DSLR.

Pentax-D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro
HD Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro
With my APS-C setup I use a D FA100/2.8 for 35mm negatives, and a Sigma 50/2.8 EX DG for 120. Ideally, you want to achieve a reasonable working distance from your negatives, as this minimises geometric distortion from imperfect alignment between lens and film. I guess you could get away with using a 50mm macro for both, but for the 35mm negs I think the working distance would be quite short. I wouldn't bother with the 35mm macro... You'll just need to get too close, in my experience...
06-08-2022, 12:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I scanned negatives with Pentax K-01 camera and Pentax DA 35 limited lens. It was OK apart of the fact that because of short distance (wide angle) light reflection from the film holder separator affected frame edges. It took me some time to figure out root cause. See this thread: Overexposed Left Edge on the My MX - PentaxForums.com
Eventually I removed one separator from film holder to be sure that scanned frame is not affected by that reflection.

Last edited by jumbleview; 06-08-2022 at 01:52 PM.
06-08-2022, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As it happens, I'm going down the same path as you. See my post from a couple days ago: Nikon ES-2 - like device for digitizing slides? - PentaxForums.com

In my other post I have a link for a device that mounts to a macro lens to hold and align a negative or slide at the proper focus distance. I used this calculator to determine what lens will work best: Calculator for copying slides with a camera and macro lens, computing results of image size, magnification and resolution

Based on this calculator, the 35mm Macro Limited should work at a distance equivalent to 0.65X magnification. The 35mm Macro Limited is specified at 1:1 magnification with a minimum focus distance of 14cm (this is measured from the sensor plane). So around 21.5cm should be the proper focal distance for 0.65X.

I also have the 50mm DFA Macro. That has a 20cm minimum focus distance at 1:1 magnification, which means it would require nearly 30cm focus distance to achieve the 0.65X magnification.

Given the sensor plane to camera mount distance of about 42mm, and the lens length of 60mm, the extension tube for the slide holder would still need to be nearly 20cm. I don't know if the tubes provided are long enough, but I'll find out.

I purchased the slide/film copier and should have it by the weekend. I'll let you know how it works.

Last edited by cdw2000; 06-08-2022 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Updated focal distance calcs for the 35mm lens based on jumbleview's correction.
06-08-2022, 01:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
. The 35mm Macro Limited is specified at 1:1 magnification with a minimum focus distance of 10cm (this is measured from the sensor plane).
The 35mm Macro Limited has a minimal focus distance 139 mm (measured from the sensor plane). Not 10cm.

Last edited by jumbleview; 06-08-2022 at 02:06 PM. Reason: removed point regarding magnification on aps-c
06-08-2022, 07:06 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
minimal focus distance 139 mm (measured from the sensor plane)
And 117mm of that is the camera and lens, leaving you only about 21mm of working room off the end of the lens,

being as you don't need 1:1 for either 35mm or any format of 120 film to copy onto APSc, any of theses lenses should work,
myself I always like to use the longest lens I can for any kind of copy work. It's easier to work, and you don't get in your own way as much.
You say you have an A100/4 macro, but are having issues with it. If that is in good shape, it should be good for this task, what issues are you having with it?
06-08-2022, 07:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
The 35mm Macro Limited has a minimal focus distance 139 mm (measured from the sensor plane). Not 10cm.
Thanks for the correction. I thought I read 10cm off the review page. So the focus distance becomes about 21.5 cm for 0.65X magnification. I just measured my lens and I get about 65mm from base to front of lens housing when focused to 1:1.5. Sensor plane to camera mount is about 42mm so distance from sensor plane to front of lens is about 10.7 cm. Therefore extension tubes need to extend about 10.8 cm for 0.65x magnification. Should still be doable with the film holder setup I purchased.

06-08-2022, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On my K70, I am currently using a Tamron SP 90mm Macro and a Pentax FA 50mm Macro depending on the print size.
06-09-2022, 12:31 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your A100/F4 is perfect on a APS-C camera. I scanned a lot with the M version of it on the K-01. Since I have the K1 I use the DFA 100 macro F2.8 for it because this is 1:1. Last week I scanned a rol of Ektar 100 with great results.

A few years ago I did a thread on the methodology, this is still the way I do it and it works perfect for me. Equal or even better than my old Nikon Coolscan delivered.

My best methodology for film scanning with RAW-camera - PentaxForums.com
06-09-2022, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Henrico Quote
Your A100/F4 is perfect on a APS-C camera. I scanned a lot with the M version of it on the K-01.
I agree. The A100/4 on APS-C will offer a very comfortable working distance for 35mm, and at f/8 it'll provide good performance and the necessary depth-of-field to allow for small alignment inaccuracies. For 120, it would probably require a greater working distance than many copy stands would allow, but it's worth a try...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-09-2022 at 02:37 AM.
06-09-2022, 10:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Henrico Quote
Your A100/F4 is perfect on a APS-C camera. I scanned a lot with the M version of it on the K-01. Since I have the K1 I use the DFA 100 macro F2.8 for it because this is 1:1. Last week I scanned a rol of Ektar 100 with great results.

A few years ago I did a thread on the methodology, this is still the way I do it and it works perfect for me. Equal or even better than my old Nikon Coolscan delivered.

My best methodology for film scanning with RAW-camera - PentaxForums.com
The working distance was the biggest issue. The super cheap “Amazon” copy stand wasn’t tall enough and leveling the ball head in my tripod wasn’t quick.

I was also having issues focusing, but that’s a me thing.

---------- Post added 06-09-22 at 01:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I agree. The A100/4 on APS-C will offer a very comfortable working distance for 35mm, and at f/8 it'll provide good performance and the necessary depth-of-field to allow for small alignment inaccuracies. For 120, it would probably require a greater working distance than many copy stands would allow, but it's worth a try...
I felt I had to crop more than I wanted with 35mm, but 645 had a larger working distance w/ minimal dropping
06-09-2022, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I was also having issues focusing, but that’s a me thing.
It's worth practicing. Even though I use AF macro lenses, for close-up work like this - especially digitising negatives, where elements of the scene within the negative may be in or out-of-focus - I focus manually in magnified live view. Stopping the lens down to f/8 will provide sufficient depth-of-field that small focusing errors will have minimal impact on detail - and bear in mind, even AF isn't always 100% accurate

I felt I had to crop more than I wanted with 35mm, but 645 had a larger working distance w/ minimal dropping
I think a 50mm macro might be your best single-lens option for 35mm and 120 formats. As I said, I use a 100mm and 50mm for each respectively, but I think you'd get away with just a 50mm...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-09-2022 at 02:13 PM.
06-09-2022, 06:30 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
having issues focusing
consider getting a macro focusing rail,
at closer distances, focus shifts faster by using the lens, a rail allows you to move the camera and lens together to controllably fine focus.
06-14-2022, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So here's my experience using this: amazon.com: JJC Photo Slide and Film Digitizer Converter with 10-Levels Brightness LED Backlight for 35mm Slide and Negatives Copying Scanning to Digital for Select Canon Nikon Sony Macro Lenses : Office Products?tag=pentaxforums-20&

My distance calculations did not work out. As others pointed out, the 35mm Macro Limited was definitely not suitable due to working distance. With the 100mm Macro, with all extension tubes attached, the device was just a smidge too short to get the entire 35mm frame without some cropping. The 50mm macro works well using just one extension tube. The downside is that since this whole contraption attaches to the lens filter thread and hangs off the end of the lens, the lens barrel tends to droop unless you mount your camera on a tripod and point it downward. Then the lens tends to suffer from focus drift since gravity is working on it, and, at least with my copy of the lens, the front barrel is a bit loose and wobbly and the focus clamp no longer holds it.

Conclusions: I did manage to get sharp copies of my slides with the 50mm macro; and I do think they came out better than scanning with my Epson V600 flatbed scanner. In hindsight, it might have been better to just purchase the light source (which is pretty good) and rig that up with with the camera on a macro focusing rail as K-Three suggests. The light source conveniently has a 1/4" tripod thread so it lends itself to such a rig.

What I need is a rail with tripod screws on either end that can be adjusted for distance and height. I would mount the light source on one end and a macro focusing rail on the other. Does anyone make such a thing?

Last edited by cdw2000; 06-14-2022 at 05:14 AM.
06-14-2022, 05:38 AM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
So here's my experience using this: amazon.com: JJC Photo Slide and Film Digitizer Converter with 10-Levels Brightness LED Backlight for 35mm Slide and Negatives Copying Scanning to Digital for Select Canon Nikon Sony Macro Lenses : Office Products?tag=pentaxforums-20&

My distance calculations did not work out. As others pointed out, the 35mm Macro Limited was definitely not suitable due to working distance. With the 100mm Macro, with all extension tubes attached, the device was just a smidge too short to get the entire 35mm frame without some cropping. The 50mm macro works well using just one extension tube. The downside is that since this whole contraption attaches to the lens filter thread and hangs off the end of the lens, the lens barrel tends to droop unless you mount your camera on a tripod and point it downward. Then the lens tends to suffer from focus drift since gravity is working on it, and, at least with my copy of the lens, the front barrel is a bit loose and wobbly and the focus clamp no longer holds it.

Conclusions: I did manage to get sharp copies of my slides with the 50mm macro; and I do think they came out better than scanning with my Epson V600 flatbed scanner. In hindsight, it might have been better to just purchase the light source (which is pretty good) and rig that up with with the camera on a macro focusing rail as K-Three suggests. The light source conveniently has a 1/4" tripod thread so it lends itself to such a rig.

What I need is a rail with tripod screws on either end that can be adjusted for distance and height. I would mount the light source on one end and a macro focusing rail on the other. Does anyone make such a thing?
You may have read it previously, but some months ago I created a thread detailing my own setup and the decisions behind it. That setup has worked out really well for me, and I'd recommend anyone at least consider something similar as one option for DSLR / mirrorless digitising of negatives...

Creating a DSLR-based film negative digitising rig - PentaxForums.com

Since posting that thread, I added a Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro for 120 negatives, which provides an ideal working distance on APS-C...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-14-2022 at 06:16 AM.