Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2022, 04:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Home for a color enlarger?

Over 10 yrs ago I picked up a color enlarger and never used it. Basically ~ someone who was shifting to digital only. I still shoot film but get pictures developed other places - I do some B&W and color developing at home. Anyways - trying to find a new home for a color enlarger since I don't see myself getting into this aspect. Does anyone develop color film at home anymore?

08-14-2022, 04:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle94VT Quote
Over 10 yrs ago I picked up a color enlarger and never used it. Basically ~ someone who was shifting to digital only. I still shoot film but get pictures developed other places - I do some B&W and color developing at home. Anyways - trying to find a new home for a color enlarger since I don't see myself getting into this aspect. Does anyone develop color film at home anymore?
Some people turn enlargers into a copy stand also.
08-14-2022, 05:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle94VT Quote
As you're a site supporter, I'd suggest doing an advert in the Marketplace.
08-14-2022, 06:03 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

A more targeted question would be does anyone make color wet prints anymore. while I do develop color film at home on occasion, I don't make color prints anymore even though I have a color enlarger. But color enlargers make for a good BW enlarger too with variable contrast paper because you can dial in your paper grade with the color head.

08-17-2022, 09:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

About a decade ago I tried to find new homes for my 2 Beseler 45 enlargers, one with a colour head, the other with a Zone VI cold light head. The sad fact was that shipping an object of that size and weight was more than the equipment was sellable for, and I was unable to find a local buyer. Both ended up at the local landfill.
08-17-2022, 05:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-15 years ago I tried to give away a complete functioning enlarger on Craigslist, free for pickup.
Someone emailed to say they'd take it - but only if I would throw in free delivery!

Today with the resurgence of interest in film photography it shouldn't be too hard to find a buyer for yours.
However I'd keep it. As as mentioned a color head is very handy for black and white printing with variable contrast papers.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-19-2022 at 02:47 PM.
08-18-2022, 11:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can print B&W with a color head just fine, in fact easier, as you can dial in contrast vs. needing to use lens filters that can get damaged and lost.

Finding someone to actually pay you for it might be the problem. They're impractical to ship due to size and weight, so you're restricted to your local market.