Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2022, 09:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What would cause this?

Just got this roll of Kentmere pan 400 back and all the images have this "effect" on them. It's visible on the negatives so I at least know it was not caused by scanning. Is this a result of the processing or something else. It was a brand new roll I had always stored in my fridge. First time having something like this happen.

Attached Images

09-07-2022, 09:59 AM - 6 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

I think he needs a visit to the vet.
09-07-2022, 11:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mgrondin Quote
Just got this roll of Kentmere pan 400 back and all the images have this "effect" on them. It's visible on the negatives so I at least know it was not caused by scanning. Is this a result of the processing or something else. It was a brand new roll I had always stored in my fridge. First time having something like this happen.
Condensation or the emulsion on the film got unstable due to being in the fridge at a too low temperature? I always kept my filmrolls in the fridge in the egg box and at least 24 ours before using I let them acclimatize.
09-07-2022, 11:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

What kind of equipment was this processed in? Is there evidence on the leader/frame spacing/sprocket edges? I'm seeing maybe two flaws - air bubbles and a reticulation/dirty roller/condensation issue.

09-07-2022, 12:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Condensation or the emulsion on the film got unstable due to being in the fridge at a too low temperature? I always kept my filmrolls in the fridge in the egg box and at least 24 ours before using I let them acclimatize.
This specific roll had probably been in my fridge longer than any other I've shot so maybe my fridge is too cold...Most end up in there a month or so on average. Far as I know the temp in there has been/is constant. Maybe I did not let it sit out long enough(for sure not 24hrs) before I shot it.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
What kind of equipment was this processed in? Is there evidence on the leader/frame spacing/sprocket edges? I'm seeing maybe two flaws - air bubbles and a reticulation/dirty roller/condensation issue.

I do not know the equipment used as I bring my film to my local lab. These are the lead frames. I can't make out the same pattern on them. Looking at the neg tho I do think it's visible in the first few frames as well. The film base is quite clear...I can't spot anything between the frames.
09-07-2022, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

#'s 39 & 40 seem to show it. If it's factory sealed it won't sweat inside the fridge. Most times the issue occurs in a haste to shoot. I got caught out with the sweats last week when I had a break from fixing an old Perkins and ran out to the wildlife refuge before the afternoon t-storms fired up and didn't allow enough time for the camera kit to warm from its AC living quarters. When I was selling film bricks out of the freezer we always put a 8 hr min warmup time sticker on them.

That said, with a litlle work it (cat image) would make a nice image/texture to print on some leatherette to re-wrap a vintage camera in, almost rivaling the Red Dotters lizard leather. )
09-07-2022, 01:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Could exposure to high heat after exposure also cause this? Like if I/it sat in my hot car for an hour or so...this might have happened with this roll

09-07-2022, 02:53 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
I think he needs a visit to the vet.
I read this 3 hours ago...I'm still laughing....
09-07-2022, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could be a bad case of reticulation (the film I mean, not the cat). If the developer was too hot a temperature, the emulsion can kind of "boil" and have a look something like this. Where was this film processed? If it's reticulation, you should be able to see the pattern on the emulsion side of the film since the emulsion slightly swells a bit in those areas affected. It can also happen if there's too large a temperature difference from one processing solution to another.
09-07-2022, 03:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Could exposure to high heat after exposure also cause this? Like if I/it sat in my hot car for an hour or so...this might have happened with this roll

I'm not familiar with that film, but heat, sans high moisture, most likely would not make that fluid of a pattern. The one frame #37? is all gray like it could be a heat fog + bubbles +undetermined pinholes and is quite different from the others, with the two noted before having at least two things going on - the mushy reticulated pattern (I don't believe it is a thermal/processing reticulation) showing the mush pattern and drag marks. I'd want to know if the lab used roller transport for processing, otherwise I's say it's film age/storage thermal cycling/sweating when opened.
09-07-2022, 03:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As far as i know it's done using the tank method. The lab outsources to a third party that does it out of their house for B&W.

Now I'm worried about this happening again. I'm going to be extra mindful when I take rolls out the day before I plan on going shooting and make sure not to open the canister during that time either(or before I stick it in the fridge)
09-07-2022, 06:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a strange tiger!
09-07-2022, 07:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian

We did a test this afternoon and couldn't replicate your issue.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12 mini  Photo 
09-07-2022, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Another cause of reticulation is transferring the film from an alkaline developer to a strong acid fixer. Modern films are not very susceptible reticulation from temperature differences but that is no guarantee.