Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2022, 03:05 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tetenal Magic-Box C-41 and E-6

I don't know if Tetenal will bring back the Magic-boxes, but they are interesting for people who don't shoot as much to buy the 1L kits for 16 or 12 films.

Normally they show only timings for one film and don't give an advise on how many they can develop, but I have successfully developed 4 C-41 films and 3 E-6 films with each box.

Here are the timings :

Attached Images

12-07-2022, 09:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fotoimpex is currently selling Magic Box C41 developer.
12-07-2022, 10:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might check out the Freestyle and Cinestill sites if you're looking for alternatives to Tetenal. They have some C-41 and E-6 kits that make reduced volumes.

Color Chemicals | Freestyle Photo & Imaging

https://cinestillfilm.com/collections/laboratory-supplies/_color
12-09-2022, 01:49 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Fotoimpex is currently selling Magic Box C41 developer.
Yes only C-41.
I sent a message to Tetenal asking when they will bring the Magic-boxes back. The answer from the sales & business manager was : not at all for now.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
You might check out the Freestyle and Cinestill sites if you're looking for alternatives to Tetenal. They have some C-41 and E-6 kits that make reduced volumes.
Yes but you need at least 12 rolls and the price is not the same too (< 16 € for a Magic-box).

12-09-2022, 06:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote

Color Chemicals | Freestyle Photo & Imaging

https://cinestillfilm.com/collections/laboratory-supplies/_color
I bought a small kit of the CS C41 and it was great, I hadn't developed color in decades and my daughter asked me to teach her how.
We developed 6 rolls with it.
12-09-2022, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

The kits for one roll are relatively pricy, so I think they are not sold well. Tetenal went through a failed restructuring in 2019 but were saved by a management buyout from Tetenal employees. Curiously the first new products they introduced after that were the MagicBox for C-41 & E-6 film kits (and RA-4 colour paper). I think they are keen to concentrate on popular products.

The Parvovin and Superfix tabs for B&W are a much better product, they can be stored almost indefenetively and are for the same category of low volume users. But I don't know if that is technically possible for color.

Ilford has something similar (also B&W), the Simplicity Starter Pack. All of that to lure beginners into home developing. I would be surprised though if Simplicity is running well, if you compare that to the Tetenal tabs.

I read an article lately [1] where shops are saying they have enormous backlogs in selling rolls, notably to younger users who are accustomed to smartphone photography, and darkrooms are re-erected on schools. So film photography is going well.

[1] Lege schappen en hoge prijzen: het fotorolletje is niet aan te slepen
Please translate from Dutch if you want to read it.
12-12-2022, 01:21 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The kits for one roll are relatively pricy
But for 4 or 3 rolls they are not so pricy...

01-14-2023, 12:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

On the Tetenal website - Technical information and downloads [1] - I see a reference to 'new' C41 tabs, with a user guide as PDF. Notice these are not the well known Parvofin and Superfix tabs for B&W. Curiously the C-41 tabs are absent in their own shop, and I can't find them anywhere else.

[1] https://tetenal.com/en/technical-information-downloads/
01-16-2023, 02:19 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
On the Tetenal website - Technical information and downloads [1] - I see a reference to 'new' C41 tabs, with a user guide as PDF. Notice these are not the well known Parvofin and Superfix tabs for B&W. Curiously the C-41 tabs are absent in their own shop, and I can't find them anywhere else.

[1] https://tetenal.com/en/technical-information-downloads/
That's good news ! I hope they will do the same with E-6 !!!