Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2023, 04:27 PM   #16
Unregistered User

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Resolution and sharpness are related, but not the same. You might have a mushy-toned print or negative that actually has decent resolution, simply sharpening it in post-processing with make it seem sharper-to a point, don't go too far. A low resolution print or negative can be helped a little with overall contrast, but you won't get any more detail.

04-26-2023, 07:31 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I disagree that 4k is "high resolution" for a still image... and many of the old cameras shot enormous negatives with loads of potential.

If you have those large negatives, it may be worth it to scan them at high resolution (or shoot them with your modern digital camera).
For black and white, that process is simple... for color, it gets a lot more complicated, especially if the film has color shifted (spoilers: it has).

If all of your negatives are 35mm, there are many labs that can do the service affordably, or you can do it yourself with a SLR and a macro lens...

And in every case, there is more to get from the negative than shows up on the print...

Once you have a digital file, you can do all kinds of fun things with the image... or you can pay someone at a lab to do it... but then it is simple to print at home or at a lab.

-Eric
Indeed - scanning a negative with most cameras is tricky due to color inversion - it isn't simple to correct.
04-27-2023, 09:01 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Indeed - scanning a negative with most cameras is tricky due to color inversion - it isn't simple to correct.
but one issue is that some cameras did come iwth built in conversion software nikon

But there are software to get
04-27-2023, 09:45 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Urnamaster13 Quote
How to get that 4k resolution? By scanning negative or some other conversion by print lab ?
A film scanner will need a true scan resolution around 3000+ dpi to scan a 35mm film frame at 4k resolution. No commodity scanners scan at that resolution and the ones that do will be expensive. Many scanners advertise much higher resolution but that is interpolated resolution that just enlargers the image and doesn't capture anymore detail.

04-27-2023, 02:13 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urnamaster13 Quote
Hi, i am not very informed about film developing.

i have some old film negatvies which were devloped many years ago. If i want to get new prints from them, is it possible to have them enhanced in resolution or clarity in anyway ?

The films would be consumer grade 100 iso kodak films, shot on point and shoot cameras.

Should i scan the old photo prints and try to ehance them digitaly ?
If the negatives are B&W you could buy some Kodak Film Intensifiers off ebay such as these: Box Of 10 Kodak Chromium Intensifier Vtg 10 Unopened Packets CAT 169 1476 | eBay, but these are really nasty chemicals and I would not recomend anyoneusing them, unless they know what they are doing. If the negatives are color, then your only choice(as far as I know) is to scan them and then manipulate them using some sort of software. Some scanners use software like Silverfast that lets you enhance images while you scan. This is great if you have to scan a lot of images. As far as 4K, I think we are talking apples and oranges here ?

Last edited by hjoseph7; 04-27-2023 at 02:22 PM.
04-27-2023, 02:13 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
A film scanner will need a true scan resolution around 3000+ dpi to scan a 35mm film frame at 4k resolution. No commodity scanners scan at that resolution and the ones that do will be expensive. Many scanners advertise much higher resolution but that is interpolated resolution that just enlargers the image and doesn't capture anymore detail.
My CanoScan FS4000US will go to 4,000DPI without interpolation, but that's 20 years old and difficult to find ... it gives something like a 20 megapixel useable scan, nearly 6000x4000 overall, so a scanner with 3,000DPI should go to 4k resolution without problems, but I've not needed to research the marketplace so I've no recommendations.
It's well worth looking for some older s/h hardware, especially if it's only for a one-off job.
The re-sale price, once you're finished with it, is likely to be close to what you paid for it.
Just make sure it's compatible with your operating system and it comes with appropriate drivers/software ... if you need to start licensing third party software, Vuescan for instance, the exercise can get rather more expensive.
04-27-2023, 03:27 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
... so a scanner with 3,000DPI should go to 4k resolution without problems....
You are telling me what I already said.

04-27-2023, 06:52 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m not sure why a scanner would be the method of choice when shooting it with a dslr is likely easier.
04-27-2023, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I’m not sure why a scanner would be the method of choice when shooting it with a dslr is likely easier.
I didn't say it was. The OP mention a film scanner. I gave him some criteria a film scanner would need to have for a 4k size image.
04-27-2023, 07:34 PM   #25

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
i did not know about film scanner, in past i have taken the prints and scanned them using home scanners.
Reading in news about old film restoration/converting old movies to 4k is what motivated me to explore it further.
04-27-2023, 08:24 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't say it was. The OP mention a film scanner. I gave him some criteria a film scanner would need to have for a 4k size image.
Ah! Sorry I misunderstood. The one advantage for some scanners in the past was the software - but I don’t know that the software has been kept modern enough to use on current systems.
04-28-2023, 12:43 AM   #27
Pentaxian

You are telling me what I already said.
Merely agreeing with you

---------- Post added 04-28-23 at 12:51 AM ----------

Ah! Sorry I misunderstood. The one advantage for some scanners in the past was the software - but I don’t know that the software has been kept modern enough to use on current systems.
Vuescan from Hamrick www.hamrick.com is reckoned to support over 7,000 scanners, is regularly updated (for free) and has film profiles for over 200 different types of film.
Photographing b&w negatives or even colour slides might be easier using a DSLR, once one has the appropriate hardware set up to hold everything accurately in place and have an appropriate lens to do the job, but getting the colour corrections accurate for a photographed colour negative can be quite long-winded, even assuming the availability of appropriate (expensive?) software and the knowledge to use it.

Last edited by kypfer; 04-28-2023 at 12:59 AM.
04-28-2023, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
-snip snip- colour corrections accurate for a photographed colour negative can be quite long-winded, even assuming the availability of appropriate (expensive?) software and the knowledge to use it.
Rawtherapee and then GIMP do a good enough job on this
A Pentax DSLR (K5IIs) with a good ol'Asahi Bellows and Takumar 55 allowed me to recover hundreds of faded negatives and slides from the 60s and 70s
The hardest part was getting consistent light in the background, and using LEDs tends to produce blown blues (go figure)

Last edited by titrisol; 04-28-2023 at 09:50 AM.