Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2023, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Films

I’ve had about 24 hours to think about films since Ilford announced their new color film.
https://robertscamera.com/harmanphoenix?utm_campaign=1006632_Phoenix%20Launc...,64D2K,2GBFO,1

For now, I plan to use B&W film in my Pentax “Super Program”, and some color film in my Olympus Infinity - once the new Pentax compact camera comes out, I’ll purchase it and probably use it with color film, but my Pentax KP will remain my main color camera. Film Manufacturers have been roiled by bankruptcies, but I believe the major films available to me are descendants of the films I was using fifty years ago, and I’ve been able to gain personal experience with many of the newer films produced by Kodak and Ilford. Ilford says this new film is “experimental” - they are learning as they go along - so right now I will use their B&W films as I see fit, but I’m going to use Kodak color films almost exclusively as Ilford learns about color. My KP is set for ‘natural’ JPG development, and I don’t see any reason to use a film which - even under some conditions - might give me ‘vivid’ results.

Last edited by reh321; 12-02-2023 at 05:46 AM.
12-02-2023, 06:22 AM   #2

A new color film announcement is welcomed.

Maybe I'll finally get my Minolta X-700 CLAd. Should have done it when Terry's Camera Repair was still in business (retired Minolta tech).
12-02-2023, 08:06 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I’ve had about 24 hours to think about films since Ilford announced their new color film.
https://robertscamera.com/harmanphoenix?utm_campaign=1006632_Phoenix%20Launc...,64D2K,2GBFO,1

For now, I plan to use B&W film in my Pentax “Super Program”, and some color film in my Olympus Infinity - once the new Pentax compact camera comes out, I’ll purchase it and probably use it with color film, but my Pentax KP will remain my main color camera. Film Manufacturers have been roiled by bankruptcies, but I believe the major films available to me are descendants of the films I was using fifty years ago, and I’ve been able to gain personal experience with many of the newer films produced by Kodak and Ilford. Ilford says this new film is “experimental” - they are learning as they go along - so right now I will use their B&W films as I see fit, but I’m going to use Kodak color films almost exclusively as Ilford learns about color. My KP is set for ‘natural’ JPG development, and I don’t see any reason to use a film which - even under some conditions - might give me ‘vivid’ results.
I have been very happy with Kodak Ektar in my film camera. It is not as contrasty as slide films, and it scans very well in my Plustek OpticFilm 8100.

I certainly welcome a new color film. I might have to give it a try!
12-02-2023, 09:20 AM   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
definitely any new film announcement would be welcome!
colour film is especially expensive and difficult to find in stock where I am.
for me, film will be for jus BW, I tried colour, but its a lot different chemistry and finicky with temperatures.
part of the fun for me is that I get to develop too at home its a lot of fun to put on a movie and load up the film into the reels and pour the chemistry etc..

12-02-2023, 09:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gregnski Quote
I have been very happy with Kodak Ektar in my film camera. It is not as contrasty as slide films, and it scans very well in my Plustek OpticFilm 8100.

I certainly welcome a new color film. I might have to give it a try!
I also have a Plustek OpticFilm 8100, but I’ve found I can adjust the Silverfast software so that my slides scan well.
12-02-2023, 11:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I also have a Plustek OpticFilm 8100, but I’ve found I can adjust the Silverfast software so that my slides scan well.
Another user , good enough to view old negatives on computer, but for prints I still prefer the film source.
12-02-2023, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I looked at several photos from the new Phoenix color film while at a local lab yesterday. I'm excited for new film to be released. It's a bit too saturated and grainy for my taste, and it doesn't have as much latitude as some other color films I use. However I'll still support it and buy a bunch because Harman states it's a limited edition film (first sentence under Features: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1790521-REG/harman_photo_1182094_harm...981&). I'm hoping any new film is popular enough it doesn't have to be a limited edition.

I shot a roll of Kodak Portra 160 VC last night. Because it's Vivid Color, it will be a good comparison with the oversaturated colors in the new Phoenix once I shoot a roll of it too.

12-02-2023, 12:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I shot a roll of Kodak Portra 160 VC last night
I liked Portra 160 VC when it was available, but liked Ektachrome 100 VS even better. If you can find some freezer expired stock it's worth trying.

Phil.
12-02-2023, 01:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They say it's not an Ilford film, it's from Harmon, which is slightly but not extremely different. In any case, it looks like an interesting film, but one that is maybe a bit too far towards being an "effects" film for my liking. Not like a Lomo color shifting color film, but not to be considered extremely color accurate like Portra. I'm wondering what it looks like when rated at EI 100 or 125 instead of 200 as they recommend.

I might pick some up but only after I burn through the color film I've stockpiled. I don't really care for color film, personally, and agree on using a digital camera for color image purposes.

I'm wondering how it will react to use with one of the low cost color developer kits out there instead of Harmon's chemicals, assuming Harmon sells a C-41 developer kit. I don't know iff that's part of the plan or not.
12-02-2023, 08:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love you Ilford, but...

The new Harman Phoenix 200 C-41 color negative film is reportedly a Svema clone.

I'll pass.

Chris
12-03-2023, 07:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The new Harman Phoenix 200 C-41 color negative film is reportedly a Svema clone.

I'll pass.

Chris
The Internet told me “Svema” is a combination of two Russian names {irrelevant}, was made in Ukraine {a chemist could have moved}, and was ‘grainy’ {fits}.
12-03-2023, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I liked Portra 160 VC when it was available, but liked Ektachrome 100 VS even better. If you can find some freezer expired stock it's worth trying.

Phil.
Okay, I haven't used Ektachrome 100 VS, although I have used the non VS. I just bought a cold-stored five-pack of the VS in 120.
12-03-2023, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I just bought a cold-stored five-pack of the VS in 120
Here's what you can expect, with the E100VS colour saturation. (KX & K50/1.4 & K50/4 Macro)

Phil.
12-04-2023, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Harman Phoenix 200 has been designed and produced all in house at Harman's Mobberley plant : https://www.harmanphoto.co.uk/phoenix
12-05-2023, 12:13 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am considering getting a couple of rolls of Harman's Phoenix for my Super A and Tokina 20-35mm f2.8 / M50 f1.7 to play with.

I thought there would be more excited chatter about this film, it's not perfect but hey, it's new.

This will be my good light film for the winter sun, when we get some or Christmas lights.