Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Digitise film negs with Reverser?

I seem to wasting my time experimenting with digitising old colour film negs with an Ohnar Reverser. I haven't got the focus right (although it should just screw on and be ata set focus?) and the field of view is only of the centre of the neg. When turning on the camera I set the focal length to 50mm. This is just a guess, the Reverser has no information and does FL make a difference anyway? Taking the out of focus results to PhotoShop and inverting the colours doesn't get me very far either. Is this a dead end or is there someone who could guide me to decent results, please. The Reverser was originally purchased to convert slides to negative in my old film days and worked tolerably well although cropped the image a bit. Perhaps its just not suited for the job.

01-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It certainly needs to be in-focus to have usable results! Maybe it's adjustable somehow. A quick google shows one for sale in NZ with instructions.. maybe email them to see if they'll scan a few pages for you!
01-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Negatives have an orange mask that needs to be corrected for, otherwise you'll have a color cast that will need to be fixed later.

You may have better luck taking a picture of the negative or scanning, and converting them in something like VueScan or Silverfast.
01-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks HGMonaro and alohadave. Could not find the aBay item with instructions-perhaps its gone. It's a simple enough gadget- a holder for the neg/slide on the end of an M42 threaded tube that has a tiny lens embedded halfway up. It is meant to be fixed focus when screwed onto the camera but does not seem to be so when attached to the 200D.

As for the orange colour caste I think I'll just have to persevere with PS. Thanks for your replies!

03-10-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I can say witout a doubt that the only correct way to do this is to scan the film with a proprietary film scanner. For low end work the best way is to run out and get a Nikon supercool scan and Vuescan or Silverfast. Then read Scantips.com then scan all your film. Once finished you can sell that scanner on Ebay for 80% of your original investment! For my business I use a nikon supercoolscan 5000ED and the feeder but for large format and Hi-end scans I use a Hassleblad Imacon but the Nikons scans are near perfect all the time.
K