Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Athiril Quote
Plustek are bringing out a new model, hold off on the 7500i.

Otherwise, look at a Minolta Dual Scan II, III or IV, (2820dpi to 3200dpi), they should be very cheap in the U.S. if you live there, I've used a Dual Scan II and it achieves its detail.

Dual Scan II should be cheaper than a flatbed too.
I saw the new model (7600i Ai) on the Plustek international Web site. It is not on their U.S. site yet. According to their spec sheet, it uses a "cold LED" light source and takes somewhat longer to do a preview, but is somewhat faster for a scan than for the 7500i.

I have used a DiMage scanner (I think the Dual Scan IV) and was pretty pleased with the results. I supposed I should keep my eyes open for a good deal on one of those as well.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-08-2009 at 08:50 AM.
04-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Flaar

For "real" scanner reviews see this:
Helpful comparative reviews on 35mm slide scanners, prepress flatbed scanners, drum scanners and wide format scanners.
For the silver-spoonless people.. I'd recommend going to the Epson site and getting a refub for half the price of new......
Clearance Epson Scanners - Epson Clearance Center - Epson America, Inc.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63068980
04-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Using multiple passes to compress dynamic range is a capability that I want. Do you need Silverfast to do this or is the Nikon software sufficient?
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i heard this wasn't as useful as described, someone back me up on this?
I use Silverfast SE Plus with ME option (Ai is overkill if you run results thru lightroom). Nikon doesn't do multiple passes. Otherwise, I like the Nikon software better.

If you intend to use Silverfast SE Plus with ME option w/o any more software from Silverfast (Silverfast would tell you that it is not intended to be used this way...), you may find useful the following two hints:
1. Enable Gamma=2.2 in the 48 Bit HDR output option dialog
2. Convert into sRGB (or AdobeRGB) color space before doing anything else. I use a PS CS3 script applied to a directory to do this in batch mode. Silverfast (the company!!) refuses to output in a standard color format because they want to force you to buy more software from them... They use Nikon's scanner color profile.

As for the efficiency of the Multipass option...

It all depends on the subject, very much like the question if 12 Bit in RAW is superior to JPG.

In slides with a high dynamic range (e.g., sunlight with shadows), I can push the shadows a lot more if I used the multi pass option. I've tested it recently with Velvia which has a steep contrast curve. So, shadows are dark but not grainy in the slide. A single pass Nikon scan obviously introduced noise from the scanner (my scanner scans 12Bit only anyway...).

Because I do a blind scan of my entire archive, I use this option on all images to become "digital negatives".

There are test reports about the issue.

This source ( SilverFast Multi-Exposure :: LaserSoft Imaging ) claims that multi pass increases the scannable Dmax from 3.53 to 4.24 (with a Nikon Coolscan 5000).

For those not knowing Dmax: This means that effective bit depth is increased from 11.72 to 14.08 Bits which is significant. Silverfast shows these two example images on their web site (and my Velvia 50 comparison was similiar):

[Source: SilverFast Multi-Exposure :: LaserSoft Imaging]

Last edited by falconeye; 04-08-2009 at 04:36 PM.
04-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #49
Veteran Member

damn, heather, i had just (conveniently) given up on the idea myself. now i am drooling again..

"http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson V700/page_1.htm"

walking away, thinking of pentax film bodies, my pentacon six, some lenses for it, maybe? a wide angle would be nice, a tele wouldn't hurt AAARRRRGHH!

judging by this review, getting the v500 (which should be about on par with the 4990 mentioned in this review) should be a rather safe bet for most uses. have a look at the link.

ps: a quick search reveals the v500 is supported in linux, not sure about the v700, for whomever it migth matter to (it does to me).

Last edited by nanok; 04-08-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: broken link
04-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I use Silverfast SE Plus with ME option (Ai is overkill if you run results thru lightroom). Nikon doesn't do multiple passes. Otherwise, I like the Nikon software better...
Thank you falconeye! This was very helpful.

Steve
04-10-2009, 05:01 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
judging by this review, getting the v500 (which should be about on par with the 4990 mentioned in this review) should be a rather safe bet for most uses. have a look at the link..
I'm kind of leaning back towards the V500 now. If I need something to be scanned at a really high resolution, I can get it done at the local pro camera shop or send it off. If I could find a dedicated film scanner with ICE in the $200 range, I still would be open for that.

Besides, I've toyed with the idea of trying medium format sometime down the road.

Heather
04-10-2009, 05:07 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Another (qualified) thumbs-up for the affordable Konica Minolta Dimage DualScan IV:
  • fine detail (3200dpi);
  • multiscanning to 16x;
  • 16-bit;
  • batch scanning;
  • good software;
  • small footprint;
  • USB2;
  • highly durable (had mine for more than five years without a problem);
  • quality film holders ...
only downsides that I can see: a tendency towards magenta that is easily rectified, no ICE, negatives tricky to get right. I'd definitely get this in preference to earlier models of the same scanner. It should be readily available at bargain prices second-hand.