05-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

dedicated, nikon coolscan

05-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
to scan or not to scan

sounds a little like shakespear doesn't it?

Actually, I sold my darkroom when I went digital, so that somewhat forced me as to what I do, I scan negs.

The real issue is whether you do straight prints or do a lot of work with dodging and burning, or masks, or with variable contrast paper, or double exposures.

Any of those things can make you want to scan the finished product as opposed to the negative only because you may have worked rather hard on getting the print to look like what you wanted.

Having said that however, many of the same functions are possible , and easier to control in a digital photo editor.

I used a minolta dimage II scanner which was a little slow, but did not fail even with 20,000 scans. The reliability was impressive
05-27-2009, 05:50 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
dedicated, nikon coolscan
Yep...that is the conventional wisdom. Unfortunately, the rumor is that Nikon is nixing their scanner line-up. Plustek might be a good, less expensive option. They have a new model due out later this summer that is supposed to be faster, better, etc..

Steve
05-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Having used the Imacon at work, the Nikon's just seem so... rubbish. That said not every one has a spare $20k for the Imacon.

I have used the Epson flat beds (4880, 4900, v700) to scan negs, they are alot better on B&W and slide then they are on colour neg (that said these days no real point in shooting colour neg anyway) and so long as you hold the film flat i find a 20c piece (AUD) in each corner is enough to hold the neg flat so the only film flatness issues are from camera.

05-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
Having used the Imacon at work, the Nikon's just seem so... rubbish. That said not every one has a spare $20k for the Imacon.
I should have put a disclaimer on my earlier comment to note that the Coolscans are considered to be the best non-commercial option. I had a chance to get an Imacon for only $4k, but figured that the Nikon would probably be adequate.

Steve
05-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Got the Nikon Coolcan 5000 ED Yesterday

Real nice unit...much more compact than I expected. I have not had much time to play with it, but here are my initial newbie impressions:
  • Very compact
  • Nice build quality
  • Confusing software (separate docs on second disk are essential)
  • Very fast scans at all resolutions
  • Very big files at maximum resolution
  • ICE is real cool
  • ICE does not work with B&W negs (not cool)
  • 16 bit B&W results are simply incredible
  • Every little defect on the neg is incredibly visible, even minor scratches on the non-emulsion side. Not a problem with ICE. Without ICE...not so good
Coming from using a diffusion enlarger head, that last point was a bit disappointing. Oh, well...I guess I will be spending hours with the cloning tool...

Steve

(Will post a full review sometime in the future...)
05-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My flatbed Epson Perfection photo 4490 comes with Digital Ice but I'm not familar with this software or what it actually does. Can someone elaborate?

05-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I do both. It's convenient to scan the whole roll, then I print some of them later.
05-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
My flatbed Epson Perfection photo 4490 comes with Digital Ice but I'm not familar with this software or what it actually does. Can someone elaborate?
It detects dust and scratches and via a process using black magic, makes them disappear.

Steve
05-28-2009, 02:38 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The only problem with ICE is that it takes so much longer to scan, like triples the time. Some bigger scans can take up to 25mins.
05-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
The only problem with ICE is that it takes so much longer to scan, like triples the time. Some bigger scans can take up to 25mins.
I have heard that as well, though things seemed snappy enough last night scanning 35mm color negs at 4000 DPI, single-pass.

Steve
05-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #27
Veteran Member

It may have something to do with my computer, it's very old and slow.
05-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
It may have something to do with my computer, it's very old and slow.
That might be a factor. Mine is a quad core beast (vroom...vroom).

Steve
05-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks for the info. My computer isn't old and slow either, but it is not a quad yet, it is only dual core. But I have Windows 7 on 64bit with 4gbs of ram....self built.

I haven't actually used Digital Ice, so maybe I'll give it a try on those dusty negs I have.
05-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Glad to hear you're liking the scanner, Steve. Did you buy the roll adapter and/or are you scanning full strips? Or are you pre-cutting your negs?

I'm still weighing the cost-vs-pain of going with the Nikon vs the Pacific Imaging.