Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Can I just use coke or water bottles covered with a lot of black tape? IMO those peanuts are a mess, and I got a box of them unused already 3 bucks for a bottle is not cheap - at least for me, and I need three! (dev 1, dev b, fixer) I mean, those are just bottles with funny names (delta datatainer) that don't let light in, right?
Pretty much. If you do use another bottle, make sure to mix the solutions in a full gallon container though; the components in the powder mix do not distribute evenly and if you decide to split the mix into two bottles and then add water you may very well end up with some very screwy developer... Diafine you want to mix and then let rest for a good 24 hours and give it another shake before using it.

10-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #32
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Pretty much. If you do use another bottle, make sure to mix the solutions in a full gallon container though; the components in the powder mix do not distribute evenly and if you decide to split the mix into two bottles and then add water you may very well end up with some very screwy developer... Diafine you want to mix and then let rest for a good 24 hours and give it another shake before using it.
Got it. I'm ordering stuff, and finishing that jug of milk real quick
10-12-2009, 11:18 PM   #33
Veteran Member

not sure old milk containers are a great idea, never seem to be able to clean them properly. I'd use soft drink bottles before milk. I use old print developer bottles for mixed up stuff (develop, stop, fix). Had some of those accordian bottles for years but they eventually started 'absorbing' air. I'd get them out of the cupboard and they had expanded but turn them upside down and they didn't leak! Never was really confident I has washed them out properly either. For mixed film developer (I usually use XTOL which is a powder that makes approx 3.8L) I use old glass fruit juice bottles (you get to drink the juice... just remember to remove existing labels). I keep these in a cupboard in my darkroom so don't care about them being clear glass. Never used Diafine but have read good things about it.

For developing film, I've used two rinses of water for many years (I still use stop bath for prints). I keep track of the number of times I've used the fixer and dump it after a few less uses than the manufacturer recommends. Sometimes I'll test it with a bit of film but usually just go by the numbers.

No idea of the tempeture of your water coming out of your tap, but I use a bucket to temper some water to 20C (68F) to use to mix my developer (diluting my stock) and for 'stop' rinses and either for washing (Ilford method) of before I plug the hose into the tank (lazy water wasting method!). Stops you from recirculating (sudden change in temp can damage your film emulsion) your film or mucking around trying to get the right temp to come out of the tap.

hmm, that turned into a random assortment of thoughts... now what was the question!
10-13-2009, 03:18 AM   #34
Inactive Account

Better than old soft drink bottles are old bottled water bottles.

In fact, bottled water's what I use to mix my chems. Get the same brand, and you're guaranteed consistency. Either that, or use distilled water they sell in either automotive section or the section where the sell irons or laundry sundries.

Better yet, find, if you can, some glass juice bottles. Ocean Spray has big 'uns fulla cranberry juice (surely you'll be able to find some in America.) As a bonus, if you drink it, it's a handy cure for urinary tract infections. And any remaining vitamin C stuck on the bottle'll only speed up your devving...

Don't use milk containers. They're a bit rough, and the fat and other bits from the milk tend to be a bastard to clean off. They never reall get clean.

Another tip: find some Isopropryl Alcohol, preferably the 99% pure stuff, and add about a tablespoon of it to twelve ounces of water. After your film's been through its final wash, rinse it off with this solution before drying. It prevents water spots appearing on the film as it dries. Very handy.

10-13-2009, 03:43 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Diafine is highly reusable
it comes in 2 parts A and B, you have to make sure NOT to mix them

First you put the film in the spiral, then fill with A solution.
Tap the tank once or twice to dislodge air bubbles and wait for 30s or so
Then agitate once every minute
After 4 minutes return solution A to tbe bottle of A

Fill with B, tap the tank and wait
4 minutes return B to the bottle of B

Fill tank with water - agitate - dump

Fill tank with fixer,
tap the tank to dislodge air bubbles, agitate once per minute
after 5 minutes return fixer to bottle

Fill tank with water, agitate dump
repeat 5 times

Open lid
Half fill tank with distilled water, agitate - dump
Fill tank with distilled water, agitate - dump

Hang film to dry

That's great to hear! Diafine it is then
Is it reusable, by the way? JimH suggested not to mix fresh and used chemicals - what about Diafine?
Oh, and will jugs do it for storing? I've seen accordion-like bottles @ freestlye, wonder if they're necessary.
10-13-2009, 03:46 AM   #36
Pentaxian

If you ask nicely the pharmacist may sell you borwn glass bottles for nothing
Also bwown peroxide or chlorine bottles work fine.

Now for film, get the ARISTA brand film, waaayyy cehaper and the same quality

Can I just use coke or water bottles covered with a lot of black tape? IMO those peanuts are a mess, and I got a box of them unused already 3 bucks for a bottle is not cheap - at least for me, and I need three! (dev 1, dev b, fixer) I mean, those are just bottles with funny names (delta datatainer) that don't let light in, right?
10-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glass bottles are cheap on the Web. Look for amber Boston Rounds.

Chris

10-21-2009, 12:04 AM   #38
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh man oh man oh man it WORKED!!!
Yeah!!

Thanks everybody for your advice! You've been really helpful to me! Now I can develop stuff I shoot! Oh yeah!!!

By the way, here are some quick and dirty scans from one strip I made. Hope you like them! More to come tomorrow...

Oh, right... Bronica ETR-Si + Fuji NPH400 (color!) + Diafine
Attached Images

10-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Glad it worked out!
10-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #40
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Least with digital, Photoshop has no unpleasant odours.
04-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #41

please don't dump any chemicals down your drain. even while at art school, and despite having an industrial drain, we still needed to retain chemicals in bins for proper disposal.
05-23-2018, 07:25 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I know a couple of photographers who had to take up residence at Henry's sales staff after developing allergies to darkroom chemistry. My school darkroom had huge exhaust fans over the chemistry tables. But for casual use, I wouldn't expect much in the way of problems. Especially if you are scanning your negs. The large open baths needed for large prints certainly need proper ventilation.
05-31-2018, 07:01 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I like the look of Black and White Photos from negatives. I found your thread interesting as I now have a rare Olfactory Lobe Disorder that was caused by the use of scented cleaning products. I now have Hyperosmia, a hyper elevated sense of smell. As a result I had to remove all chemically scented products from my home. Ugh that means I can probably never experiment with developing my own film unless I have a separate building and wear a mask and gloves and have extreme ventilation.
06-13-2018, 01:07 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shouldn't this *old* thread belong to the "Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom" forum ?
06-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Shouldn't this *old* thread belong to the "Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom" forum ?
It sure does.