Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Installed v3.24 for win7 on my xp machine. It seems working. I am not sure what are the improvements over the older version.

12-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the 4490 and like it, though I do have a couple of issues:
Especially with mounted slides, the driver arbitrarily crops in -- quite a lot. The work around, as stated above (in regards to 120 film) is to toggle off thumbnail and manually crop in to the full frame.
The other drawback is how seemingly fragile the carriers are. Though mine are holding, sooner or later, I'm fairly sure they will give out in some fashion. As far as I can tell, there are no replacements available
12-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Has anyone tried ANR from
Using the 35 mm Anti Newton Ring Glass ANR Insert ?
12-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Joe I changed the film size and did what you said. I got two perfect negative scans and the other problem I had went away.

I just downloaded the newest driver too. I was over there about a month ago to see if they had a new one, but at that time they still had the one I have now, 3.04A.

FWIW, I always scan in Professional mode.

12-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c a sugg Quote
I have the 4490 and like it, though I do have a couple of issues:
Especially with mounted slides, the driver arbitrarily crops in -- quite a lot. The work around, as stated above (in regards to 120 film) is to toggle off thumbnail and manually crop in to the full frame.
The other drawback is how seemingly fragile the carriers are. Though mine are holding, sooner or later, I'm fairly sure they will give out in some fashion. As far as I can tell, there are no replacements available
Considering your comment about the fragile carriers, I thought, "What if my carriers were broken beyond repair, and I could not find replacements, would I still be able to use the V500?" So, without using the carriers, I started placing 35mm negatives in the center of the glass in two rows. I noticed that the glass window in the top is full length, so I found I could easily fit 12 35mm negatives in the scanned area. I tried a scan, and it did not automatically find the frames in "Thumbnail" mode. However, by turning off thumbnail mode and manually selecting the frames with the marquee tool in the preview window, it had no problem scanning all the negatives. They came out fine, but the film did not have very much curl so laid fairly flat. Ideally, I think I would make a holder using some poster board and maybe a transparency film to hold the negatives flat if they are badly curled. Or better yet, just carefully cut out frames from the cardboard which will mimic the stock film holder, but allow for 12 negatives rather than 8.

This scanner may be more versatile than I thought - 12 35mm negatives at a shot is pretty good for volume processing!

-Joe-
12-29-2009, 05:18 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I tried making a cardboard neg holder. It didn't work. It scanned the whole thing but the images were not there. There was a black square and that's all I got. I have laid the negatives directly on the glass and that's how I was scanning them before I took your advice Joe.

Some of these negatives I have are 120 and some are 220. Also have some 127s.

Laying them on the glass can cause distortion too, I've been told. I didn't see any when I was scanning them that way.
12-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #22

I have the 4490 Photo scanner and need to know what are the best settings for
35mm slides. I have many slides from Thailand that I took in 1968 and need to get the best results possible.

Here is a sample slide that I scanned.

Attached Images

02-15-2021, 03:37 PM   #23

12 years later

Wow, so 12 years later I come up on this thread. I dug up my old 4490 scanner from the basement and brought it up because I had some negatives to scan. Amazing that there are still drivers for Windows 10 and the scanner works great. I always liked the slide/negative capabilities of this scanner.
Attached Images