Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2010, 06:54 AM   #16

Or there's another simple trick that I've used in the past. Pick up an old Mac just to run the scanner. The older Macs (before the iMac ) all have SCSI ports built in, and the OS handles it quite well. Just make certain to get one with an ethernet connector, as the old Macs don't handle USB. Use the Mac to scan in the images, and then move them to a modern computer for editing. It's slow, but it does work.

06-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wes Medlin Quote
Or there's another simple trick that I've used in the past. Pick up an old Mac just to run the scanner... Use the Mac to scan in the images, and then move them to a modern computer for editing...
Yup, this is what a lot of people do with old drum scanners and pro-flatbeds. I have a Eversmart Jazz+(link to one in the second post) and I run it with a G4. Originally it was OS9 and SCSI, but now I run it in OSX with a SCSI-Firewire adapter. I run the Mac headless and VNC into it whenever I need to scan. This is nice because I can use any computer that is connected to the network, from anywhere in the house, and it takes up very little CPU or memory on my main computer(s).