Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #241
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by matam Quote
I'm the only one thinking this fl is still good for portraiture on aps-c?
Heck no!

FA 135 f2.8

Last edited by dadipentak; 06-09-2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: the originally posted photo was not with a 135mm lensth a different lens
06-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #242
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matam Quote
I'm the only one thinking this fl is still good for portraiture on aps-c?

ISO 400 f4 1/500s jpg straight out of the camera with "natural" setting (shoot an hdr and then forgot to set raw back)
it's a bit long for indoors. if Pentax finally releases a FF, then it would be perfect.
06-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it's a bit long for indoors
It depends--I've got a big living room and some of my subjects are camera-shy.
06-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Heck no!

FA 135 f2.8

From another long shooter as well. I love shooting portrait with 135mm or 200mm = 300mm in film's term

This one from Fa135mm

Halloween shots

Daniel

06-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh dear, Daniel--your subjects used to be way more attractive! But, of course we agree about the lens.
06-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #246
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Oh dear, Daniel--your subjects used to be way more attractive! But, of course we agree about the lens.

Hi you are Dave of Photonet! No wonder. Thanks.

Daniel
06-10-2010, 12:06 AM   #247
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Oh! it also works well with ext. tubes (F135 + 25mm ext. tube and cropped)
A really beautiful shot ! I have had 60mm of tubes on my CZJ 135 (I have a SMC Tak on the way) and it was just OK - I guess after seeing your shot I should try a smaller ext.

06-10-2010, 06:34 AM   #248
Veteran Member

Took a couple bird shots yesterday with the m 135mm.

06-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ongoing comparison of Tele Lentar, SMC Tak, and Rikenon lenses

this set of photos is part of my ongoing comparison of the 3 lenses I have at this focal length in M42. The lenses are the SMC Takumar F3.5, the Tele Lentar preset F2.8, and Rikenon F2.8

These shots have been done at close to the minimum focusing distance of the lenses, all shots at approximately the same distance. These can be used to compare the bokeh, and colour rendition differences.

the order of the images is Rikenon - SMC Tak - Tele Lentar
First shots at wide open aperture, seem to show as expected more depth of field in the tak due to smaller aperture but the rikenon also seems to have more depth of field than it shoud considering it and the tele lentar are both F2.8 lenses. Bokeh of the tele lentar is also significantly dfifferent than the other two lenses.
Attached Images

06-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Part 2 of comparison

this set of photos is part of my ongoing comparison of the 3 lenses I have at this focal length in M42. The lenses are the SMC Takumar F3.5, the Tele Lentar preset F2.8, and Rikenon F2.8

These shots at F5.6 on all lenses, Bokeh on tele lentar still different from the others RIkenon lens does not appear as sharp as the other 2 and color is marginally different with slightly lower contrast (IMO)
Attached Images

06-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #251
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

part 3 of comparison

Shots at F11
Note these are hand held and SR helped a lot but there still may be some blurring. I opted to keep ISO (in fact all camera settings except exposure obviously) the same for all shots to avoid any confusion.

for me the tele lentar and the SMC tak are very very close in capabilities with the tele lentar offering different out of focus rendering and / or apparently slightly different depth of field. The rikenon is the clear loser.
Attached Images

06-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #252
Veteran Member

thanks Lowell. from what I see, the Tak has a warm color rendering but is the sharpest among the 3 lenses, more contrast and color variation. the Lenthar is a bit between the neutral side and warm color ( a bit the same on a few areas with the tak), center sharpness is great (center pop) and still isolated at stop down. bokeh though is entirely different. I wont discuss the Rikenon since the output looks a bit horrid for my taste.
06-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
thanks Lowell. from what I see, the Tak has a warm color rendering but is the sharpest among the 3 lenses, more contrast and color variation. the Lenthar is a bit between the neutral side and warm color ( a bit the same on a few areas with the tak), center sharpness is great (center pop) and still isolated at stop down. bokeh though is entirely different. I wont discuss the Rikenon since the output looks a bit horrid for my taste.
I agree, but still the rikenon is not bad, compared to how it used to be, but now that I have a good measure, it will be relegated to the shelf, or to someone looking for a cheap 135.

for me, I would imagine the SMC tak to be similar to my K135F2.5 except for obviously th ewide open case.

As an every day 135, I would probably take the Tele lentar only because it is so different in bokeh. In this lens I achived what I wanted in my M42 kit at this focal length, something entirely different than my K135F2.5

what is interesting is the exposure, while it may have varried due to changing in lighting, If I look at the rikenon, and shutter speed and grey scale value, it seems to be 1/2 stop slower than indicated across the board.

the tele lentar is about 1/4 stop slower at F2.8 than it should be, (in fact the SMC tak is the brightest image wide open) but identical to the SMC tak at all other Fstops. ALso interesting i think

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 06-10-2010 at 10:24 AM.
06-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #254
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

These shots at F5.6 on all lenses, Bokeh on tele lentar still different from the others RIkenon lens does not appear as sharp as the other 2 and color is marginally different with slightly lower contrast (IMO)

Lowell, to me, the first two shots look severely mis-focused, especially the first. Looks like the point of focus is well behind the flower. (Or are these 100% crops?)

The focal point being off can affect the way the bokeh is rendered, so comparing bokeh is compromised also if the focal point is different.

06-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Lowell, to me, the first two shots look severely mis-focused, especially the first. Looks like the point of focus is well behind the flower. (Or are these 100% crops?)

It may be that for the rikenon the focus point is roughly the flower stem or back petal as opposed to the closest petal, but stopping doen the lens did not bring the foreground sharp as it should. The lens has produced sharper shots than that in the past, although never as sharp as the tak or the tele lentar. the other thng that really gets me with the rikenon is that it is at least 1/2 stop slower at all apertures than it should be. That plus the color shift, compared to the other two lenses compared make it less desireable for me. I really like the bokeh of the tele lentar.

do you want the rikenon?