Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help with lens selection

My wife and I would like to get a second lens to compliment (or replace) the kit lens. The two logical choices appear to be:

Pentax 50-200mm and the new Pentax (or Tamron) 18-250mm. Here's what I have come up with so far:

50-200: Advantages: price, size, same filter size, would be no overlap, reasonably good IQ
Disadvantage: changing lens may mean losing picture, extra lens to carry around, slower at wide-angle end by half a stop

18-250: Advantages: more reach in both directions, one lens does all, convenient for traveling
Disadvantages: price, slower at telephoto end, different filter size

Our circumstances are such that we are tending towards the 18-250. We travel quite a bit and having one lens would be advantageous. Now, I recognize that this could prove a problem in low light so eventually we might be forced to go with a second lens (prime) for this. As for weight, this lens about equals the kit and the 50-200 so that equals out. I'm not sure which would be better IQ wise but I suspect the 18-250 might have an edge here.

So, what do you think? I'd appreciate some insight here. Maybe I'm missing something important. I've toyed with the idea of the Tamron 70-300mm as an alternative to the 50-200 Pentax. But again, this would mean... carrying both the kit and the Tamron (which might not be such a bad idea... it's just that the new Pentax and/or Tamron 18-250 is very desirable).

Thanks.

10-22-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
My wife and I would like to get a second lens to compliment (or replace) the kit lens. The two logical choices appear to be:

Pentax 50-200mm and the new Pentax (or Tamron) 18-250mm. Here's what I have come up with so far:

18-250: Advantages: more reach in both directions, one lens does all, convenient for traveling
Disadvantages: price, slower at telephoto end, different filter size

Tjhanks.
There is one very important advantage of the 18-250mm: your sensor stays clean. You are not changing lenses all the time.
Of course it depends where you are going. In Canada dust is less of a problem than in the Sahara (I presume).

- Bert
10-22-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good one, Bert. I hadn't thought of that and living right dab smack on the ocean where we receive a lot of salt spray in the air, you would have thought it would have occurred to me. See... I knew you guys would have more insight.

Any other ideas, folks? I need your help here.
10-22-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
Good one, Bert. I hadn't thought of that and living right dab smack on the ocean where we receive a lot of salt spray in the air, you would have thought it would have occurred to me. See... I knew you guys would have more insight.

Any other ideas, folks? I need your help here.
Don't forget the purchase of the 18-250 would allow you to recoup some cost via the sale of the kit lens for a few dollars, were you to be so inclined.

10-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
baw

Re: Lens choice

I recently bought the Tamron 18-250 and it's a very good and useable lens imo.
The specialty lenses will allways be a bit sharper, need less light etc.etc. but for every day use go for the 18-250.
On my last holiday I made over 95% of my images with it, the rest with the 12-24.

My kitlens and Tamron 70-300 don't get much excercise lately.

See this album for some samples.
10-22-2007, 08:38 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi JamesD

I purchased my Tamron 18-250mm Di II in conjunction with a K10D body some months ago and have been highly impressed.
We shall have to wait for a comparative test between the Tamron 18-250mm and the forthcoming Pentax variant in order to establish which of them is optically/mechanically superior to one another. Incidentally, have Pentoya set a realistic release date for their version of this lens, otherwise it could easily be many months away ?
Anyhow James, you might like to click on the two links below for some further discussion on the subject, which I hope may be of some interest ?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/10438-tamron-1...real-good.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/12174-tamron18-250...-question.html

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 10-22-2007 at 09:14 AM.
10-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Richard... Ben...

Thanks for the comments and the links. I've read through the other threads and taken a look at the images you both have recorded. I'm very impressed with what the Tamron can do. I'm beginning to be swayed by the 18-250 over the 50-200 Pentax.

However, I'm still open to other opinions and I've two more questions.

1) Will the Pentax 18-250 (which I understand is more or less a clone of the Tamron) have anything that will make it more desirable than the Tamron (other than its green circle stripe)? In other words, will its coating be any different?

2) The issue of rapidly decreasing speed at higher telephoto ranges causes me to wonder. Someone else mentioned that he thought the lens would be strictly for daytime use and of little use in low light situations. Is this true in your experience? We have a lot of gray days on the coast here so I'm wondering.

Thanks again.

10-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi JamesD

On your first point, who knows ? The Pentax will probably come with some variant of their SMC coating, but this is purely supposition on my part so you will naturally have to exercise some patience until they actually release details of it.
Incidentally, you haven't mentioned which DSLR body you're using or whether it has Image Stabilization or not ?

On your second point when you stated that:

"Someone else mentioned that he thought the lens would be strictly for daytime use and of little use in *low light situations".

Well try these images that I took for size. All three shots were hand-held, the first one taken outside, the second inside using the built-in flash and the third and final one WITHOUT flash. Comments & criticisms welcome !

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/97397-post5.html

Thus far I've not found *this a major problem, but others might see things slightly differently. It purely depends on precisely how many indoor photographs you are likely to take and how steady you can hand-hold your DSLR !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 10-22-2007 at 05:19 PM.
10-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Once again, Richard, I'm impressed with the ability of this lens. I would certainly be more than satisfied with them.

As for my own camera... both my wife and I have our own k10d cameras which came with the kit lens. We've only had them for two weeks now and are still getting to "know" its foibles and its strengths (which are many).

As for indoor shots... we're likely to take very few. Neither of us is big on indoor photography and we have small, prosumer cameras to fill in for that type of shooting. They're smaller, less conspicuous and have served us well over the past few years. Most of our shooting with our k10d cameras will be during our trips, our weekend outings and so forth.

We're currently planning our next trip (September) to Hawaii (been there twice now and it continues to call us back) and we want to travel reasonably light. That is why a "one lens" fits all would be a welcome addition to our current kit.

I'm in no real hurry on this so I'm willing to wait for the Pentax's release and to make comparisons then. Besides, perhaps it will have rebates down the road and/or the Tamron will lower in price. Hey.. I'm not averse to saving some money when I can.

It's increasingly becoming apparent that the 18-250 would be preferable to the 50-200 zoom. I've yet to hear anything to the contrary and that is also the direction in which I am leaning. I also like the idea of not having to change the lens frequently.

Any other comments?
10-22-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
baw

Re: Lens choice

QuoteQuote:
2) The issue of rapidly decreasing speed at higher telephoto ranges causes me to wonder. Someone else mentioned that he thought the lens would be strictly for daytime use and of little use in low light situations. Is this true in your experience? We have a lot of gray days on the coast here so I'm wondering.
Have a look at this shot:

(heavy rainshower, totally overcast skies)

Aperture f7.1, shutter 1/250s, ISO 400, FL 200mm. and handheld.
Pretty dull weather imo....
10-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi James,
My 20 cents worth.
Despite owning a growing collection of lenses, I would say go with the 18-250 (with either sticker on it), buy a monopod, shoot in RAW and then you can make what ever adjustments to light that you want to....oh, and buy some extra SD cards.
You will not regret the one lens option when travelling.
Cheers
Grant
10-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

A good word for the Pentax DA 50-200mm zoom - it is relatively inexpensive, compact and light - and one of the best zoom kit lenses around - or at least that's what Popular Photography magazine said about the Samsung "clone"/version of the same lens -

Lens Test: Schneider-Kreuznach D-Xenon 50-200mm f/4-5.6 AF
Full test of Samsung's Schneider-Kreuznach D-Xenon 50-200mm f/4-5.6 AF lens.
July 2006

The Tamron 18-250mm (and its soon to be available Pentax version) is also pretty highly regarded -

Lens Test: Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II Macro
How to zoom from 28mm to 388mm (equivalent) with a singular digital-only lens.
May 2007

Comparing the respective SQF (Subjective Quality Factor) charts the Pentax at similar focal lengths seems to be better than the Tamron -
but I doubt that the differences are that obvious in general photography.
Although I must say I have been very pleased with the results from the Pentax 50-200mm

The main obvious advantage is not having to change lenses -
and I have found on occassions that I wish I had an all-in-one lens like the Tamron.

But weighing against it - is weight and size on camera (although the Tamron is compact for what it is) affecting handling, and price.

In the end because of price I have the two Pentax "kit" lenses -
but if money was not a consideration I would have the Tamron or Pentax "clone"/version
10-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Hi again JamesD

Your point stating that:

"I also like the idea of not having to change the lens frequently".......is a very valid one. Taking those informal wedding photos was a genuinely liberating experience for me and it's a wonderful thing to concentrate solely on framing pictures, whilst being freed from the tyranny of swapping lenses over. I simply wish that this type and quality of lens had been available forty years ago, when I first started taking photography seriously. The concept of a compact all-in-one 'walkaround' lens was virtually an impossible dream at that time, but I still possess my venerable Olympus-mount Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm macro-zoom which was the nearest equivalent I could then get. It weighs an absolute 'ton' by comparison with my 18-250mm and as far as transportability is concerned, there's simply no contest..........the Tamron wins hands down every time.
Try one of these modern marvels if you can and I'm convinced that you won't be disappointed !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 10-22-2007 at 06:00 PM.
10-22-2007, 07:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Richard, for all your help and suggestions. And thanks to everyone else. I don't want to belabor this and make it more difficult than it need be. Besides, I'm certain we've all faced this lens quandary at one point or another.

In all probability, we'll opt for the 18-250mm. Whether the Pentax or Tamron version we'll just have to wait and see. Thanks again. I believe my mind is made up.
10-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I took this using an old 80-200mm single barrel zoom with no auto functions. Don't discount the ability to use some really interesting old glass as well. (Not to muddy the waters.) I wanted to experiment with some action shots, and this car was traveling at about 30MPH going around a 90 degree corner. I could be more pleased with the focus though. In looking at it, I think it lost a lot of quality in the .jpg compression but I'm still happy with the lens. The limitations are mine.

I would like to upgrade to an auto lens, but I'm still having fun with my old stuff and I've got everything from 18-200 covered with them.

Last edited by code4code5; 10-23-2007 at 10:06 AM.