Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
BG2 Grip Teardown and Stuck Pins Fix
Posted By: Jodokast96, 04-19-2011, 09:05 AM

Ok, here goes:

To keep things straight, I kept the screws, etc. removed from each step seperate so I knew what went with what and so they wouldn't end up lost since everything is quite small. I used a coaster, but any small container would work.

Step 1.
Remove the 11 screws holding the top plate, and remove the top plate.

Note the four o-rings. They may or may not stay in place, so be careful not to lose them. You can try to remove them, but if they don't come easily, I'd suggest leaving them be so that you don't damage them.

Step 2.
Flip the grip over and remove the 8 bottom screws. The two outer pieces will now slide apart from the guts.

Step 3.
Remove the 5 screws holding the silver plate in place, and then remove the plate.

Step 4.
Remove these 6 screws. Now this is where you want to be careful, as everything is now being held together by soldered wire connections. If you yank them, you had better be able to use a soldering iron.

Gently lift the upper assembly and remove the grip attachment screw.

Step 5.
The orange wire trace here is just stuck on with adhesive. It can be pulled free from the lower assembly and give you a little more play between the upper and lower assemblies still connected by the soldered wires.

Step 6.
Now you have a choice of how to proceed. If you can access them easily enough, you can remove the screws holding the electrical contacts in place. This will allow you a bit more freedom for handling pieces in the following steps with out fear of breaking the connections. But you do not have to do this. Everything else can still be done with them connected. I've done this without removing them twice in the past (the second time requiring use of a soldering iron DOH!), but this time I'm removing them. Choose whichever you are most comfortable with. *EDIT* Reattaching the contacts on reassembly was not easy. Was a real bear trying to hold everything in position while getting the screw in place. Not sure that I'd go that route in the future.

If you remove them, there is a small piece under the contact with the black wire which isolates it from the connector the grey wire is attached to. Don't lose it.

Also, these two pins will fall out if you on you if you just flip the piece over, so be sure to catch them.

Step 7.
Removing these two screws will give you access to the wire trace that covers the springs.

Again, there are two pins the will pop out, so be sure to catch them.

Step 9.
The cover over the springs is held in place by adhesive. Care needs to be taken not to bend or break it. Also, the springs may launch when removing it. I'm not going any further with mine, as it is currently fine and don't want to press my luck, but once you have access to the springs, you may need to bend them back into shape. Once you have the springs and/or pins straightened, and you are replacing the wire trace cover, the adhesive probably won't have enough strength to keep things in place completely (and is most likely the original cause of the springs becoming dislodged in the first place). I used some of the sticky adhesive found in office supply stores to keep things in place. So far, it's worked, but if you have any alternative ideas I'm open to them. All that's left is to put everything back together.

As an aside, one other little issue I had with the grip was that the OFF/ON/Preview switch was very stiff and would stick from time to time. To fix this, I slightly loosened the 3 screws from inside that hold it in place following Step 2. If you loosen it too much, there is a small BB that will fall out. This BB keeps the switch locked it in the ON and OFF positions. A slight bit of dielectric grease may also work here, but I didn't have any handy. Sorry, no pics of this, as my batteries died.
Views: 7,885
10-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know I'm reviving a super old post here, but I just wanted to say Thank You! I had stuck pins on my K10D grip, and now have a K-1 grip with a stuck pin as well (literally nothing works on the K-1 grip now). Lord will I ever find the free time while the kids and wife are away, I might just give this a shot. Hopefully, all these years of repairing PCs and Laptops have given me the patience & sticktoit that I need to get it done. Cheers!
PS - Yes, I understand the B-DGB6 grip is likely different, but at least now I have an idea of what to keep an eye out for while going through it.