Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Stuck lens on KX
Posted By: gbh, 09-11-2011, 09:17 AM

I just joined this site and also just bought my Pentax K-X DSLR camera. The Advertising indicated that I could use my old manual lenses, so when I mounted my zoom lens on the KX this morning I found that I cant get it all the way on, nor can I get it off. I have read several posts on the subject and determined it must be the dreaded Ricoh Pin. I have tried everything that I found on the net, except for sawing the lens off and overpowering the lens. It appears that my Ricoh Pin is the long pin and not the ball type. I have tried for over an hour to work it down with a feeler gage with no success. Has anyone had this happen with the Ricoh pin being the long type and were successful in getting the lens off. If so, please let me know how to do it PLEASE.

George
Views: 7,698
05-25-2012, 04:10 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
george,
my good friend -- i owe you a drink
your method WORKED -- i used a nylon strap version, used by mechanics to romove oil filters from engines
worked like a charm !!!
thank you

and for those 'Ricoh-Pin' advocates out there -- the stuck lens was NOT a 'ricoh-pin' type -- and i DID have the red dots lined up properly (i was worried about that)

george, this was YOUR solution -- 'post' it as a solution -- you deserve the credit

Rob

05-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob-48 Quote
george,
my good friend -- i owe you a drink
your method WORKED -- i used a nylon strap version, used by mechanics to romove oil filters from engines
worked like a charm !!!
thank you

and for those 'Ricoh-Pin' advocates out there -- the stuck lens was NOT a 'ricoh-pin' type -- and i DID have the red dots lined up properly (i was worried about that)

george, this was YOUR solution -- 'post' it as a solution -- you deserve the credit

Rob
Hey Rob-48: Brute force isn't a solution. It is a desperation move.

We'd all love to see a photo of your Sirius (WTTW, backward-compatibility means Pentax=branded lenses) mount and your K-01 face plate.

FWIW, I've had no problems mounting nor unmounting any of my 20+ Pentax-branded lenses (or the Pentax-branded M42 adapter) to my K-01. If yours has some kind of assembly fault, well, that won't be the first time that kind of thing has happened.

But I would first suspect, using Occam's Razor, (the simplest cause is the most likely cause) the depth of the ears on your Sirius lens mount is not-quite-spec for the thickness of the K-mount on your K-01.
09-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #18

I experienced the same problem last night.

My nephew gave me his old Pentax film lens, Albinar ADG 70-210. The aperture ring had the letters "(A)P" and "KR"; therefore, it is a Ricoh lens made for Pentax. I attached it to my Pentax K-5 and discovered that it was not compatible because the display panel had the blinking 'F__'. After trying AF, C, and MF settings and none failed to work, I decided to remove it and found that it was stuck. My son and I could not detach the lens after more than 5 hours!!! Internet google showed many solutions and this one worked for me as well for many others.

1) I bought a feeler gauge ($6.99) from an auto parts store.

2) I put the camera in AFS focusing mode.

3) Holding the camera body in my lap (the Pentax logo facing me), I pressed the button on the lens' aperture ring and turned it counterclockwise until it could not go any further. It was about more than 1/4 turn.

3) Still pressing the lens release button on the camera body with my left hand, I inserted the feeler gauge (0.003) into to the gap between the lens and the camera body. I pushed the gauge in as far as I could (almost 3/16 of an inch). Then I moved the gauge around the collar of the camera lens to feel for any blockage.

I encountered two blockages:
a) The first one was very close to the lens release button. This one was from a pin on the camera body. It was responsive to the lens release button, i.e. it retracted when this button was pressed. Therefore, I did not have to worry about it.

b) The second one was at the 5 o'clock position. As soon as I felt it, I pushed the feeler gauge blade further to cause this pin to retract and then left the blade there while turning the lens counterclockwise to remove it. Voila! The lens came off! Thanks so much to everyone who shared their solutions to the problem. That makes the internet great and the internet makes the world a better collaborative place :-)
09-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LukeSkywalker Quote
The lens came off! Thanks so much to everyone who shared their solutions to the problem. That makes the internet great and the internet makes the world a better collaborative place :-)
Glad you were able to free the lens from your camera. There are many people who would downplay the "Ricoh Pin" hazard and many Ricoh mount lenses that work fine on auto-focus Pentax SLRs. Even so, it only takes one bad experience to hammer home the point that one should be very wary before mounting a Rikenon-P or any lens labeled "KR". Better yet, check for the pin!

Steve