Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
24 Likes  #1
Pentax Lens Disassembly Database
Posted By: Chaos_Realm, 03-22-2012, 05:04 PM

Hi all,
I have recently been on the hunt for dis-assembly guides for the purpose of dust removal etc. They seem to be turning up in various places across the forum, so I plan on creating a list of all the Pentax lens disassembly posts here. I will categorise each lens like they are in the 'lens database' and you should be able to see which lenses have a guide and which do not. If I come across multiple guides then I will list them all under that lens so there is coverage or alternative explanations. And hopefully with your help we will be able to put together a substantial resource for the DIYer's here, although I do realize some lenses will never have an owner brave enough to strip down themselves due to the shear value. I know this will take quite some time but I think it will be worth it. I have restricted time at this point but I want to get the ball rolling. So here is what we have:

NB: Currently this tread is only for Pentax K-Mount & M42 Screw-mount lenses. Maybe once this has developed a bit I might look at introducing other pentax Mounts and or third party lenses and permitting time (and success of this resource) a cleaning guide with tips on tools and techniques. I am trying not to bite off more than I can chew for the moment so we will just stick with lenses listed below.

Digital Era K-mount Lenses Film Era K-Mount Lenses
M42 Screw Mount Lenses

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-13-2023 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added takumar-bayonet-28mm-f2-8 partial disassembly
Views: 216,855
03-26-2012, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
For those who have mentioned getting refrences to cleaning tips and sources for tools etc, i have come across a rather descriptive article on repairs. I personally think its worth the read.
Matt's Classic Cameras: Repair Tips

Last edited by Chaos_Realm; 09-13-2013 at 02:28 AM.
03-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Great idea ... merci

Bonjour,

Thanks for your initiative and efforts here ... looking forward to future enhancements. If you ever come across any Tamron Adaptall-2 info, could you post a fleeting message ... I have started another collection here along with my Pentax stuff (M's, A's & starting now w/Taks) ...

Merci encore et salut, John le Frog
03-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeh no worries, I don't think there was any just yet. I'll keep and eye on it though.

08-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
18-55 II Disassembly/Reassembly

Hi,

I posted a sequence of images and instructions for disassembling and reassembling the kit lens:

Pentax 18-55 DA II Disassembly/Reassembly - a set on Flickr

This is a great lens in many ways: great optical quality, excellent macro capability, and cheap and commonly available. The DAL plastic mount version has the exact same optics, and even has quick shift with the release-button trick! Unfortunately, quality control is a crap shoot. I've had five of these things, 3 of which were new. Of the new ones, I've seen loose helicoids (such that the image "shifts" visibly as you rack focus), as well as grease and wipe marks INSIDE the front optical group. WTF. Luckily, the parts between DA II and DAL versions are completely interchangeable (white kit lens + metal mount combo is quite nice).

Anyway, hopefully this information will be of help to others.
09-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have a SMC Tak 35 which I need to open to do some work. The instructions linked from the first entry look very useful.

BUT the vanity ring on the front seems to be rather tighter than I expected (based on my other diassemblies). Any clues for how to grip it tightly enough to get it off? BTW: there does not appear to be any damage or anything else which would make it difficult to remove.
10-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I assume you're already using a rubber bung or something similar to try and remove the ring.

There are four options:

1.) You can try using a small thin strip of double-sided tape (really sticky type) between the ring and the rubber bung. This is the safest method.

2.) There's a chance that something like Locktite has been used, in which case you can try heating the ring gently using a hairdryer to loosen the cement. Do not overheat! Do not subject the lens to sudden change in temperature as there's a chance that the glass will crack.

3.) Small amount of solvent like ethanol seeped into the thread area may help to dissolve the cement. However, be very careful not to use harsh solvents like acetone or paint remover. Once you use this method, you'll want to make sure to remove the ring so that you can clean up any excess solvent that may have entered into the lens assembly.

4.) As a last resort, you can drill two small holes in the ring and use a caliper-like tool to remove the ring.

DISCLAIMER: Use the above information at your own risk. Whilst I have used these techniques with great success, I can not guarantee that you'll succeed and I will not be held responsible should you damage the lens or cause harm to yourself or your surroundings.

BE ESPECIALLY CAREFUL IN USING HEAT NEAR SOLVENTS!

NOTE: Some lenses require partial dis-assembly before vanity/dress ring can be removed. e.g. K50/1.2, A50/1.2 etc. Actually, these do not have vanity/dress ring. The inscriptions are engraved on to the retaining ring of the front element. Attempting to forcibly remove the ring without first dis-assembling the lens will result in damage, so be careful.

Last edited by tom1803; 10-24-2012 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Added some more information.
10-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tom1803 Quote
I assume you're already using a rubber bung or something similar to try and remove the ring.

There are four options:

Thanks.

I have been a bit busy recently and not had time to settle to do a job like this which I anticipate to take a few hours by the time I get set up and do it. I just had two weeks traveling.
10-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
Forum Member

I disassembeld my A 400mm 5,6 into 3 parts today. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/203304-how-cle...ml#post2149605
10-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers for that one Phaser.. I'll add it in.
01-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #11

Found and used this:
I (fully) dismounted my FA 28-70/4
03-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi, you may also want to add my Takumar 55/1.8 greasing instructional.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/maintenance-repair-articles/217082-takuma...egreasing.html
03-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Here's DA 21/3.2 Limited
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Disassemble the DA21 Limited (and the Secret of the QSF Mechanism)
03-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, it's not often we see modern lenses pulled apart.
05-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
Forum Member

This looks like a great resource! Thanks for taking the time to do this. The bit of info in the post by "tom1803",in the note section, was also helpful for me. Thanks again.