Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
24 Likes  
Pentax Lens Disassembly Database
Posted By: Chaos_Realm, 03-22-2012, 05:04 PM

Hi all,
I have recently been on the hunt for dis-assembly guides for the purpose of dust removal etc. They seem to be turning up in various places across the forum, so I plan on creating a list of all the Pentax lens disassembly posts here. I will categorise each lens like they are in the 'lens database' and you should be able to see which lenses have a guide and which do not. If I come across multiple guides then I will list them all under that lens so there is coverage or alternative explanations. And hopefully with your help we will be able to put together a substantial resource for the DIYer's here, although I do realize some lenses will never have an owner brave enough to strip down themselves due to the shear value. I know this will take quite some time but I think it will be worth it. I have restricted time at this point but I want to get the ball rolling. So here is what we have:

NB: Currently this tread is only for Pentax K-Mount & M42 Screw-mount lenses. Maybe once this has developed a bit I might look at introducing other pentax Mounts and or third party lenses and permitting time (and success of this resource) a cleaning guide with tips on tools and techniques. I am trying not to bite off more than I can chew for the moment so we will just stick with lenses listed below.

Digital Era K-mount Lenses Film Era K-Mount Lenses
M42 Screw Mount Lenses

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-13-2023 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added takumar-bayonet-28mm-f2-8 partial disassembly
Views: 216,635
01-02-2015, 12:10 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It appears I no-longer have the capacity to edit this post due to the age of it. Here is a @silver-surfer K50 F/1.2 guide

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/278469-pe...mbly-pics.html

@adam could you extend my ability to edit this post further for ongoing updates?

01-02-2015, 12:52 AM   #62
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
could you extend my ability to edit this post further for ongoing updates?
Done- all members should now be able to edit posts in the article section indefinitely. The standard limit for all other forums has been reduced to 1 year, down from 2 years.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-02-2015, 01:48 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Done- all members should now be able to edit posts in the article section indefinitely. The standard limit for all other forums has been reduced to 1 year, down from 2 years.
Thanks Adam, much appreciated
01-09-2015, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #64
Veteran Member

I have added disassembly instructions for a Super-Tak 55/2. Please add it to the table of contents. Cheers!

01-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing. The original factory adhesive on those distance scales is water soluble. Didn't realize that until I got hold of a factory manual which warned against immersing them in any liquid. I've seen many of those come loose due to getting to damp at some point in their life.

Thanks for contributing to the community knowledge!
02-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
nice stuff
03-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lens spanner

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good lens spanner ? I have found a number of them out there and quite a wide price range. I was just wondering if one of you here, actually working on lenses, can tell me of one that you have been using that is dependable and of reasonable quality ?

03-14-2015, 02:24 PM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good lens spanner ? I have found a number of them out there and quite a wide price range. I was just wondering if one of you here, actually working on lenses, can tell me of one that you have been using that is dependable and of reasonable quality ?

I have the cheaper one that I got from Micro Tools (Europe) and it works relatively well. I also use a caliper at times. J
03-14-2015, 06:31 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I have the cheaper one that I got from Micro Tools (Europe) and it works relatively well. I also use a caliper at times. J
Thank you J. I will check out Micro Tools.
04-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #70

I have an M 1:3.5 150mm. Does anyone know how to remove the front element. Removing the name ring does not reveal spanner holes or notches and I can't locate screws besides those on the mount. Do I have to start with the mount to get to the front element?

Thanks.
Steve
04-12-2015, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #71
Forum Member

Just thought I'd share my experiences taking apart a preset version of the Takumar 50mm f4 macro. In my case the aperture rings had started separating due to a broken screw allowing other screws to wiggle loose. I've written down a guide for this fix along with pictures here.
04-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tickolas Quote
Just thought I'd share my experiences taking apart a preset version of the Takumar 50mm f4 macro
Thanks much for sharing. Haven't owned one of these, so it was really nice to see one opened.

QuoteOriginally posted by millesr Quote
I have an M 1:3.5 150mm. Does anyone know how to remove the front element.
The Takumar 150 is a front-entry design, so it sounds like the M is constructed differently. Here are a couple of ideas of where to look:
- Some models require removing the tailpiece/mount in order to access the fasteners that allow deeper access.
- Some models require racking the focus to minimum or maximum to expose hidden screws.
- There are a couple of models that have screws hidden under the focus ring rubber grip. These models require removing the rubber grip, and then rotating the ring to make the access hole line up with the screws underneath.
04-13-2015, 09:49 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbondo Quote
- There are a couple of models that have screws hidden under the focus ring rubber grip. These models require removing the rubber grip, and then rotating the ring to make the access hole line up with the screws underneath.

Thanks. Not relevant to this thread, but I have a beat up Auto Chinon 28/2.8 M42 that had a rubber grip, now gone, and a hole under it that lines up to a screw head. Did not realise it is probably part of the original design.
04-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
---------- Post added 04-14-15 at 06:20 AM ----------

[/COLOR]If you haven't bought one yet, buy your spanners from SK Grimes. They are easily the best out there, and an absolute steal at $38. These are real, high-quality tools, rather than the chintzy crap that is sold at Micro-Tools. Their excellent stiffness allows for much greater purchase on spanner slots/holes than do any of the flimsy models commonly seen out there.

The only downside to being well-built is that they are rather chunky, so in some cases, you might need something smaller/narrower for particularly tiny rings.
Thanks, I'll give them a look.
04-16-2015, 01:48 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tickolas Quote
Just thought I'd share my experiences taking apart a preset version of the Takumar 50mm f4 macro. In my case the aperture rings had started separating due to a broken screw allowing other screws to wiggle loose. I've written down a guide for this fix along with pictures here.
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Just posted partial disasssembly instructions in this thread for the DA15 for those with problems with focusing issues.

---------- Post added 04-14-15 at 06:20 AM ----------

If you haven't bought one yet, buy your spanners from SK Grimes. They are easily the best out there, and an absolute steal at $38. These are real, high-quality tools, rather than the chintzy crap that is sold at Micro-Tools. Their excellent stiffness allows for much greater purchase on spanner slots/holes than do any of the flimsy models commonly seen out there.

The only downside to being well-built is that they are rather chunky, so in some cases, you might need something smaller/narrower for particularly tiny rings.
Updated to reflect these two threads