Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
24 Likes  
Pentax Lens Disassembly Database
Posted By: Chaos_Realm, 03-22-2012, 05:04 PM

Hi all,
I have recently been on the hunt for dis-assembly guides for the purpose of dust removal etc. They seem to be turning up in various places across the forum, so I plan on creating a list of all the Pentax lens disassembly posts here. I will categorise each lens like they are in the 'lens database' and you should be able to see which lenses have a guide and which do not. If I come across multiple guides then I will list them all under that lens so there is coverage or alternative explanations. And hopefully with your help we will be able to put together a substantial resource for the DIYer's here, although I do realize some lenses will never have an owner brave enough to strip down themselves due to the shear value. I know this will take quite some time but I think it will be worth it. I have restricted time at this point but I want to get the ball rolling. So here is what we have:

NB: Currently this tread is only for Pentax K-Mount & M42 Screw-mount lenses. Maybe once this has developed a bit I might look at introducing other pentax Mounts and or third party lenses and permitting time (and success of this resource) a cleaning guide with tips on tools and techniques. I am trying not to bite off more than I can chew for the moment so we will just stick with lenses listed below.

Digital Era K-mount Lenses Film Era K-Mount Lenses
M42 Screw Mount Lenses

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-13-2023 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added takumar-bayonet-28mm-f2-8 partial disassembly
Views: 216,804
07-03-2017, 09:06 AM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Fungus spot on rear group. Well, I'll probably just deal with it, but if it were simple to fix, I'd give it a shot.
put up a picture to verify that, if that is the case. It is easy to do.

07-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
View of rear, with iris completely closed down. No spots visible in front of iris.
Attached Images

07-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

View of rear, with iris completely closed down. No spots visible in front of iris.
getting to the lens element is not a problem but, I THINK it is lens separation. Only way to rule it out is to open it up and clean the lens groups involved. It is in a Bad spot ,meaning it will impact the Image quality, So you have nothing to lose, try cleaning it. Start off using Zippo lighter fluid and finish off with alcohol. Also use Kim wipes. Remember to brush then blow then wipe. A friction wrench should be able to loosen it if not then a Lens Spanner wrench . Good Luck OH PS you should be able to remove the rear lens group without removing the Lens mount, hope you read this in time.

Last edited by niceshot; 07-03-2017 at 10:31 AM.
07-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
getting to the lens element is not a problem but, I THINK it is lens separation. Only way to rule it out is to open it up and clean the lens groups involved. It is in a Bad spot ,meaning it will impact the Image quality, So you have nothing to lose, try cleaning it. Start off using Zippo lighter fluid and finish off with alcohol. Also use Kim wipes. Remember to brush then blow then wipe. A friction wrench should be able to loosen it if not then a Lens Spanner wrench . Good Luck
It's got all the fibers and texture that make me think fungus.

My fear is that taking it apart means I won't be able to get it back together. Using the lens a bit, I've seen some impressively sharp shots around F7-8, which lead me to believe that it doesn't influence image quality too much. My guess is that, at worst, it makes wider aperture shots more glowy.

If I were to attempt cleaning, I would very much like to have a parts diagram, at least. I'm sure the 1.7 lens is similar, but not quite the same.

07-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's got all the fibers and texture that make me think fungus.

My fear is that taking it apart means I won't be able to get it back together. Using the lens a bit, I've seen some impressively sharp shots around F7-8, which lead me to believe that it doesn't influence image quality too much. My guess is that, at worst, it makes wider aperture shots more glowy.

If I were to attempt cleaning, I would very much like to have a parts diagram, at least. I'm sure the 1.7 lens is similar, but not quite the same.
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2 Lens Photo - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database here you are
07-03-2017, 10:36 PM   #141

Looks like fungus. With such a nice lens, I'd be inclined to send it to a pro. It looks easy, but they have the right tools. I've been in a few lenses, but I try to stick to the ones that don't cost a lot, in case I have problems. You'll lose the cost of the pro cleaing of that element just by marking up the spanner ring, it seems to me..
07-04-2017, 04:00 AM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ranchu Quote
Looks like fungus. With such a nice lens, I'd be inclined to send it to a pro. It looks easy, but they have the right tools. I've been in a few lenses, but I try to stick to the ones that don't cost a lot, in case I have problems. You'll lose the cost of the pro cleaing of that element just by marking up the spanner ring, it seems to me..
you can touch up lens spanner marks with magic marker, but it is best to use a friction wrench, Also this thread is for people who want to do it for themselves. Although I think that gentleman will probable heed your advice.

07-04-2017, 06:47 AM   #143
Pentaxian

What do you use to clean of the fungus of the inside elements? Zippo fluids? 70% rubbing alcohol?
07-04-2017, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
What do you use to clean of the fungus of the inside elements? Zippo fluids? 70% rubbing alcohol?
I personally use zippo to remove and loosen up every thing first ,then i finish up with 91 percent alcohol from cvs or where ever. You could use acetone then alcohol also but I like Zippo better. Also use Kim Wipes ,and after it drys use bulb blower to remove any lint. But you don't have to be acod about it. Remember less is more when cleaning, lest you could scratch it. Also remember to blow then brush then clean.
07-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #145
Pentaxian

Thanks for that. I thought Zippo fluid might have been too strong and potentially damage the coating on the lens.
07-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #146

For fungus I use hydrogen peroxide, then Zippo lighter fluid, I don't blow off anything if I'm cleaning fungus until I've hit it with the peroxide. I finish with acetone. Just enough on a qtip so it evaporates almost immediately, you don't want acetone running into the seam between a retaining ring and the element. It will remove edge blacking, blacking on retaining rings, and melt plastic. niceshot, if I want to suggest the poster might want to take his lens to a pro, I'll do so.

Last edited by Ranchu; 07-04-2017 at 03:48 PM.
08-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #147
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Thanks for that. I thought Zippo fluid might have been too strong and potentially damage the coating on the lens.
I have heard that some of the older lenses repeated use can damage the coatings, but I have yet to see any ill effects. it probably depends on the particular coating on the lense. SMC has been fine so far.
08-11-2017, 10:30 PM   #148
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think that is a porky. Many materials may age, based on environmental effects on them in storage or in use. But the conditions of use of a lens are petty benign - the photographer must withstand the same conditions, and use is actually quite a short time. Use might expose them to conditions, such as dust and dirt, and the remedial actions might be the cause of deterioration.

Anyone have evidence of the claim of use induced deterioration?
08-12-2017, 11:19 AM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
I have heard that some of the older lenses repeated use can damage the coatings, but I have yet to see any ill effects. it probably depends on the particular coating on the lense. SMC has been fine so far.
The coatings are made of Magnesium Fluoride, so quite resistant. And a lot of service manuals to Lens say to use petroleum ether and alcohol mixture. 70 - 30 mixture
08-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #150
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I think that is a porky. Many materials may age, based on environmental effects on them in storage or in use. But the conditions of use of a lens are petty benign - the photographer must withstand the same conditions, and use is actually quite a short time. Use might expose them to conditions, such as dust and dirt, and the remedial actions might be the cause of deterioration.

Anyone have evidence of the claim of use induced deterioration?
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
The coatings are made of Magnesium Fluoride, so quite resistant. And a lot of service manuals to Lens say to use petroleum ether and alcohol mixture. 70 - 30 mixture

I have not seen any evidence and I use it myself, but I raised the point so that anyone reading can consider it and investigate for themselves. Given I know nothing of the chemical composition of coatings I wouldn't like someone to potentially destroy their lens because "someone on the internet told them to".