Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
24 Likes  
Pentax Lens Disassembly Database
Posted By: Chaos_Realm, 03-22-2012, 05:04 PM

Hi all,
I have recently been on the hunt for dis-assembly guides for the purpose of dust removal etc. They seem to be turning up in various places across the forum, so I plan on creating a list of all the Pentax lens disassembly posts here. I will categorise each lens like they are in the 'lens database' and you should be able to see which lenses have a guide and which do not. If I come across multiple guides then I will list them all under that lens so there is coverage or alternative explanations. And hopefully with your help we will be able to put together a substantial resource for the DIYer's here, although I do realize some lenses will never have an owner brave enough to strip down themselves due to the shear value. I know this will take quite some time but I think it will be worth it. I have restricted time at this point but I want to get the ball rolling. So here is what we have:

NB: Currently this tread is only for Pentax K-Mount & M42 Screw-mount lenses. Maybe once this has developed a bit I might look at introducing other pentax Mounts and or third party lenses and permitting time (and success of this resource) a cleaning guide with tips on tools and techniques. I am trying not to bite off more than I can chew for the moment so we will just stick with lenses listed below.

Digital Era K-mount Lenses Film Era K-Mount Lenses
M42 Screw Mount Lenses

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-13-2023 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added takumar-bayonet-28mm-f2-8 partial disassembly
Views: 215,773
12-25-2021, 08:01 AM   #196

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Hi all,
I have recently been on the hunt for dis-assembly guides for the purpose of dust removal etc. They seem to be turning up in various places across the forum, so I plan on creating a list of all the Pentax lens disassembly posts here. I will categorise each lens like they are in the 'lens database' and you should be able to see which lenses have a guide and which do not. If I come across multiple guides then I will list them all under that lens so there is coverage or alternative explanations. And hopefully with your help we will be able to put together a substantial resource for the DIYer's here, although I do realize some lenses will never have an owner brave enough to strip down themselves due to the shear value. I know this will take quite some time but I think it will be worth it. I have restricted time at this point but I want to get the ball rolling. So here is what we have:

NB: Currently this tread is only for Pentax K-Mount & M42 Screw-mount lenses. Maybe once this has developed a bit I might look at introducing other pentax Mounts and or third party lenses and permitting time (and success of this resource) a cleaning guide with tips on tools and techniques. I am trying not to bite off more than I can chew for the moment so we will just stick with lenses listed below.

Digital Era K-mount Lenses Film Era K-Mount Lenses
M42 Screw Mount Lenses
Is the Takumar 300 similar to the 500?

---------- Post added 12-25-21 at 10:01 AM ----------

Is the Takumar 300 similar to the 500?

01-11-2022, 12:47 PM   #197

SMC Pentax-A 645 80-160mm f4.5 disassembly manual

Looking for a manual or guide to disassemble this lens. Thanks!
01-11-2022, 03:33 PM   #198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by diforbes Quote
Looking for a manual or guide to disassemble this lens. Thanks!
Does look like any are online, if you have the skill you can disassemble and document everything and leave plenty of witness marks. But if you haven't done this before don't try on this Lens. What is the reason, do you just want to clean the Lens elements?
03-25-2022, 05:11 AM - 2 Likes   #199
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Service manuals for many Takumars
Pentax Super Takumar lenses exploded views PDF

03-25-2022, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Service manuals for many Takumars
Pentax Super Takumar lenses exploded views PDF
Good database!
What I found interesting:
This Super Takumar 50 mm/f1,4 shows the 8-Element version on the picture, but the actual exploded view shows the 7-element version!
But then there is a Super Takumar 50mm/f1,4b

I guess that there were few early (or late early versions?) 50mm/f1,4 Super-Taks, which then had already Thorium in the glass but still the famous infrared focus mark to the right of its numeral 4 on its DOF scale!
03-25-2022, 11:36 AM   #201
Pentaxian

The early Super-Taks were 8 element, the later are 7 with Thorium glass (I have only the late)
The 8 element version was made for a short time only
The SuperTak 7 element has a 6 blade iris, which was changed to 8 for the Super Multi Coated and kept all the way to the FA version

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Good database!
What I found interesting:
This Super Takumar 50 mm/f1,4 shows the 8-Element version on the picture, but the actual exploded view shows the 7-element version!
But then there is a Super Takumar 50mm/f1,4b

I guess that there were few early (or late early versions?) 50mm/f1,4 Super-Taks, which then had already Thorium in the glass but still the famous infrared focus mark to the right of its numeral 4 on its DOF scale!
03-25-2022, 03:51 PM   #202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
The early Super-Taks were 8 element, the later are 7 with Thorium glass (I have only the late)
The 8 element version was made for a short time only
The SuperTak 7 element has a 6 blade iris, which was changed to 8 for the Super Multi Coated and kept all the way to the FA version
I see it possible that there are actually three version (aside of Super Multi Coated and SMC which again are different):
1. Real 8 Element, no Thorum (I have 2 of them)
2. 7 Element ... but what is seen as a clear sign: The infrared focus mark to the right of its numeral 4 on its DOF scale

3. 7 Element but has the infrared focus mark on the left side of the 4!

But of course it could also be that 2 doesn't exist but I have heard that some measured Thorium in an 8-Element version.
I don't believe this but would guess that when they changed from 1. to 3. that they used still the focus mark of #1 i.e. on the right side.

The other possibility is of course just the error of taking the wrong photo, i.e. of #1 for #3.

03-25-2022, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #203
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I see it possible that there are actually three version (aside of Super Multi Coated and SMC which again are different):
1. Real 8 Element, no Thorum (I have 2 of them)
2. 7 Element ... but what is seen as a clear sign: The infrared focus mark to the right of its numeral 4 on its DOF scale

3. 7 Element but has the infrared focus mark on the left side of the 4!

But of course it could also be that 2 doesn't exist but I have heard that some measured Thorium in an 8-Element version.
I don't believe this but would guess that when they changed from 1. to 3. that they used still the focus mark of #1 i.e. on the right side.

The other possibility is of course just the error of taking the wrong photo, i.e. of #1 for #3.
According to Gerjan VanOosten's book there are a few #2 which are #3 made while transitioning with some existing parts of 1

Change of lettering from round to oval and change of the focus indicator from lollipop to diamond also exist from early to later versions
The 7-elements have the product number engraved in the A/M switch 378- 37800-37801-37802
09-20-2022, 07:03 AM   #204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any guidance on disassembly of a SMC Pentax-A 15mm f3.5 lens? Periphery of images produced, especially distant subjects are blurry, even at f11.
05-19-2023, 12:40 AM   #205
Forum Member

I did not exactly talk about disassembly, but repairing the old 100mm macro lens and glue together separated lens:

Check you old lens carefully! - PentaxForums.com

Olaf
06-23-2023, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #206
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Step-by-step disassembly guide for Pentax-M 1:1.4 50mm. Will be adding information on infinity focus and re-cementing rear elements that get hazy soon.