Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Spanner wrench substitutes
Posted By: pacerr, 09-18-2012, 08:56 AM

QuoteQuote:
I don't have a proper lens spanner but . . .
There's no end to the potential substitutes for spanner wrenches. This is just the few items I had within reach at the moment taht I've used.

The metal calipers and draftsman's dividers are favorites. Use two needle points though. That also helps to start a sticky trim ring but be careful not to scratch the finish.

A trimmed credit card or other stiff plastic card works.

Somewhere around here there's a collection of custom trimmed and labeled sheet aluminum blades on a key chain.

The thicker blades on a set of feeler gauges are nice when filed/ground to the proper dimensions too and don't affect their use as a gauge.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 09-24-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Views: 36,156
10-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used a metal caliper and a divider as well ... a credit card is a good idea that hadn't occurred to me, not bad. J
10-06-2012, 04:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, I have bought a proper lens spanner, but I now still have a problem with a ring that I do not have tips for. It is in this thread. I have already tried to use the pointed tips, but failed and also bent them a little, so it is very hard screwed. Suggestions please? Diameter is about 6mm, width of the slots is 1mm.
10-06-2012, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As a retired tool & die maker, having someone say they use calipers as a spanner wrench makes me cringe. They are measuring instruments and should be used for nothing else. It's the same as if you told me you used a micrometer as a c-clamp.

10-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
As a retired tool & die maker, having someone say they use calipers as a spanner wrench makes me cringe. They are measuring instruments and should be used for nothing else. It's the same as if you told me you used a micrometer as a c-clamp.
I agree, luckily the ones pictured here are more or less disposable type, not some Mitutoyo`s worth hundreds. Still, "right tool for the right job" and 40 bucks will get you a decent spanner from Amazon.

edit: And it will also minimize the chance of damaging the item one is working on.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-06-2012 at 01:54 PM.
10-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's a fine feeling to have and to use the best tools available for their intended purpose when they're available.

But it's even better to repair something when one doesn't have access to the "proper" tools.

Necessity is the parent of improvisation and the grandparent of invention.
10-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #7

i have to look up what a spanner wrench is, now

interesting stuff, pacerr.

10-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Agree. I have a few Starrett and Mitutoyo instruments that I don't allow even my wife to touch.

But I have to confess that many many times I've used this as a spanner. Every few weeks, Harborfreight has it on special for about $10. Why not?
10-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #9

"But I have to confess that many many times I've used this as a spanner. Every few weeks, Harborfreight has it on special for about $10. Why not?" ( don't know how you guys get those quotes - i just copy and paste , but it aint the same )

i have one of these caliper things-- but it is digital, uses a battery-- i think this one from harbor freight you are referring to can only be used on the old lenses, k , m, etc, you'd need the digital one for the da and dfa lenses, ain't that right , pacerr ?
10-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
"But I have to confess that many many times I've used this as a spanner. Every few weeks, Harborfreight has it on special for about $10. Why not?" ( don't know how you guys get those quotes - i just copy and paste , but it aint the same )
Hit the button "Quote" at the right bottom of the message you'd like to quote.

i have one of these caliper things-- but it is digital, uses a battery-- i think this one from harbor freight you are referring to can only be used on the old lenses, k , m, etc, you'd need the digital one for the da and dfa lenses, ain't that right , pacerr ?
That's correct. For digital lenses, you need a digital caliper. You know, just like in some posts above, the "proper" tools .
10-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #11

quote thing

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Hit the button "Quote" at the right bottom of the message you'd like to quote.

That's correct. For digital lenses, you need a digital caliper. You know, just like in some posts above, the "proper" tools .

hey, that may have worked , that quote thing-- now , for those tweezers.... do they make digital tweezers so old guy?
10-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
. . . you'd need the digital one for the da and dfa lenses, ain't that right, pacerr ?
You may have broken the code there, dh. Maybe that's why my ol' Starrett's don't play nicely with my DA and SP AF lenses. I never thought to try the digital calipers though.

And I suspect they may have infested my "plastic" lenses with polyestermites when I wasn't lookin' too, so be careful.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 10-10-2012 at 08:37 PM.
10-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #13

polyestermites, pacerr ! a light spray with "Raid" ? on the k mount end ? every spring and fall ?
10-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Raid? Naw, I'm trying to cross-breed 'em with a . . . (well, that's still classified) . . . to develop a hybrid that has static cling cleaning pads on at least four feet and eats lens fungus for lunch.
10-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Raid? Naw, I'm trying to cross-breed 'em with a . . . (well, that's still classified) . . . to develop a hybrid that has static cling cleaning pads on at least four feet and eats lens fungus for lunch.
Can we pre-order now ?!