Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
K-01 Firmware Failure--HELP!!
Posted By: barefootdesigns, 08-01-2013, 11:56 PM

When trying to update the firmware in my new K-01, I am unable to open the menu after "updating"--am greeted with a black screen. The only way out is to turn off the camera and leave the firmware update unfinished. Each time I've tried this, I get the same results. The camera is working but on the original firmware. The first time I tried updating, I had to leave while the update was installing. When I came back there was no sign of the update on my computer or on my camera. What I think happened was an auto-update by Microsoft must have restarted the computer while I was connected to my camera doing the k-01 firmware update! Arggggg.

The instructions warn, " If the camera turns off during updating due to lack of battery power, the camera will become inoperable. If this happens, a charge will be made for repairs even if within the warranty period." Of course my camera is working, albeit not as well as it should.

So I'm stuck. I don't think the camera is at fault, but don't know what to do next. I'm leaving on a trip to Alaska in three weeks, which is why I need for this camera to be at its best. If it is, indeed, broken somehow, I have four days to return it.

Can anybody help me? I really need it for the trip.

(P.S. This is my second attempt at a k-01. The first one developed a blinking yellow screen the first time I tried to format a memory card and never worked again.)
Views: 1,941
08-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you might not be installing the update properly. Have you followed these instructions?

Pentax K-01 and K-30 Firmware v1.03 Released - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a couple of threads about firmware updates, with detailed instructions. Maybe if you read them you can figure it out?
Basically, make sure your battery is fully charged. And the SD card must be formatted, with only the firmware update on it. Keep in mind that the thing you download has to be extracted first.
08-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barefootdesigns Quote
The camera is working but on the original firmware. The first time I tried updating, I had to leave while the update was installing. When I came back there was no sign of the update on my computer or on my camera. What I think happened was an auto-update by Microsoft must have restarted the computer while I was connected to my camera doing the k-01 firmware update!
A firmware update does not require the camera to be connected to the computer, I think the suggestions that you are not following the right process are correct

08-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
SUCCESS!!!!
Thanks to everybody who answered my S.O.S. Several links and suggestions were, ultimately, helpful. Na Horuk, your reminder that the download has to be extracted was the key. I hadn't understood the process for doing that.

This is a wonderful site. I can't tell you all how much I've learned from perusing it, and how grateful I am for the Pentax Forum.
Regards,
Carla