Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Notes on disassembling Vivitar 400mm f5.6
Posted By: marcusBMG, 09-26-2013, 12:02 PM

Disassembly and Maintenance of Vivitar (Tokina) 400mm f5.6 lens.

I have recently needed to fix up one of these lenses - its main sections were loose and there was some cleaning to do. It's an easy lens to fix relatively speaking, no real need for any special tools like a lens spanner (one of these might be useful for the focus group). the main problem might be if a grub screw (the little itty bitty slotted ones that live in a little hole and work by pressing against an interior surface. AKA set screws.) is stuck/stripped. Old hands have been known to use a soldering iron held against the lens to loosen these...

FYI there are (AFAIK) three main versions of Viv 400mm f5.6, this table summarises (only!) what I know: UPDATE after corresponding wwith David (dme) we now think that the standard formula is 8 elements for the tokina made Viv.

All have built in hood and tripod mount or bush.

LENS:Komine?Tokina 5 elementTokina 8 elementPreset f5.6 (Olympus, Tokina, ?others)
Serial #28XXXXX?37XXXXX37XXXXXTokina - 37XXX; Olympus (?rare) 06XXX or 6XXX
Aperture:f5.6 - f32f5.6 - f22f5.6 - f22f5.6 - f?
Iris:?8 blade8 blade??
Optics:5 in 5 groups5 in 5 groups8 in 8 groups5 in 5 groups
Filter size:77mm77mm77mm72mm
Focus:internalinternalinternal?
Close Focus:?4m/13' 4m/13' ?
Focus throw:330 degrees120 degrees120 degrees?
Weight:1.2kg1.4kg1.4kg?
Length:28cm24cm24cm?
Info:Specs, test pics.?1978 review cited.?
The specific version here is the Tokina 5 8 element. Picture 1 shows the essential parts.

Disassembly.

TOOLS: JIS or phillips 00/0, small jewellers/flat head screwdriver for grub screws (must be right size for the holes), larger flathead screwdriver.

1. The front end is detached by loosening grub screw (A), pic 1. This allows the whole end to unscrew. The back surface of the second element is now accessible for cleaning. The interior surfaces of the front two elements can be accessed by unscrewing the name plate (I use a piece of plastic pipe - or something similar - that's the right diameter with handymans double sided sticky tape - the thick draught proofing kind - stuck around the rim), and dropping out the objective element.
2. How to remove the mount end is not immediately apparent. The key is screw (C) that exposes an access hole in the tripod mount. Rotate the TM to access 4 x JIS crosshead screws and remove these, the whole end now detaches (these screws are relatively large, you will probably be fine with a correctly sized phillips screwdriver). It is not necessary to disassemble the mount itself. Picture 2 shows the lens with mount end and front end removed. The helicoid is partially revealed and you can now access the rear elements that are mounted in a tube. On my lens the tube section containing the rear-most element was unscrewable by hand, it is however slotted for a lens spanner.
3. To further disasssemble (to access the iris etc) the distance ring (4) needs to be removed to access three more JIS screws. This is done by loosening 3 grub screws (B) one of which is ringed in pic 1. Pic 3 shows this done and you can see one of the JIS screws I needed to tighten to stop the lens rattling.

Pic 4 shows the TX mount with plate removed. As mentioned above this was in fact not necessary.

Reassembly is a simple reversal of the above. In terms of infinity focus adjustment, that, as far as I can tell, would be achieved by loosening 3 grub screws one of which is circled in picture 3, and rotating this ring, which has the focus stops on. As far as I can tell you would have to go through the ringmarole of taking the front end on and off repeatedly to check the focus. Once satisfied adjust the position of the distance ring to match.

If you have any comments or more info PM me.

Cleaning a vivitar (komine) 400mm f5.6.

This lens isn't too dissimilar to the tokina made ones. I had a PK mount one for a year or so that needed cleaning (fungus).
The front end elements can be cleaned just by removing the nameplate. There is a single grub screw that looks like it should allow the unscrewing of the whole front end, but considerable effort with a couple of strap wrenches didn't begin to shift mine. The nameplate was also stiff, but some acetone and elbow grease did the trick. There are three spaced elements and two spacer rings. Take care removing them and, particularly, replacing: very easy to jam one at an angle, or fail to seat something properly all the way in.

The rear end was what concerned me. I had found this post on photrio.com forum:

Mating Tele Parts.. | Photrio.com Photography Forums

The poster, Peter K, had failed to get his lens back together again. The method is certainly the right one, this is how the lens is put together. Accessing the rear elements, fixing any looseness in the joint near the helicoid (which is what Peter K was doing), lubricating the aperture ring, all require taking off the rear end like this.

- 3 screws are hidden under the rubber grip. (Viv-kom pic 2 below). No need to remove the mount etc (at least not with PK).
- Once the scrwes are removed the rear end now pulls off. Ease it away gently so you can see the spring that needs to be unhooked (pic 3).
- Once the spring is off and the rear end pulled off completely the rear optical group can be easily accessed - it unscrews as a unit. I didn't need to go any further with mine, the fungus etc was on the external surfaces. If you need to clean/lube the aperture ring I think that is accessed by removing the rubber grip and the loosening some grub screws.
Pics 4 , 5 show the slot, and the button that engages with it, that Peter K had such difficulty with.
- Now Peter K is going to hate this, but I simply didn't have a problem. Paper clip to re-engage the wee spring, the rear end eased back on, line up the screw holes (I had white dots of eraser fluid marking the spots), little bit of wiggling and flicking of the aperture lever, slight click, voila, all set! Replacing the screws was a little fiddly due to the necessity of holding the rubber back at the same time.

Attached Images

Last edited by marcusBMG; 04-16-2021 at 10:06 AM.
Views: 11,509
03-10-2023, 05:47 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The structural similarities between the panagors and the komine viv are clear just looking at them, but the panagor has a two element objective so its not the same design. We can guess they are both made by komine. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 03-10-2023 at 08:11 AM.
03-10-2023, 08:10 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
The structural similarities between the panagors and the viv are clear just looking at them, but the panagor has a two element objective so its not the same design. We can guess they are both made by komine.
I haven't owned both lenses so I can only go by the information on the internet (and that isn't much). It would appear that both have 5 elements, the Vivitar Komine has 5 elements in 5 groups and the Panagor Komine has 5 elements in 3 groups, so the only difference is that the Vivitar has airspace between some elements and the Panagor has them either touching each other or cemented together.
It would be interesting to compare the results between the 2 lenses just to see if there is any difference in their performance.