Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Help with K55/f1.8 disassembly
Posted By: yusuf, 03-13-2015, 11:11 AM

I have one spare K55 with mild fungus and I tried to open it from the mount side. However, even after removing all the screws from mount plate, it doesn't come out. I have opened some other lenses in past so I am not completely unfamiliar.

Has anyone disassembled K55 and can help with instructions?

Thanks
Views: 2,434
03-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
It should pop out, but there might be leftover thread locker on the bayonet, or the baffle might be getting hung up on the rear group/aperture levers. The first step I
'd try is to remove the baffle before removing the bayonet.

You actually don't need to take the bayonet off to remove the rear group in this one. If you remove the baffle and have a rubber tool or a lens spanner that will fit on the retaining ring of the rear group, you can rotate it until it pops right out with the bayonet still on.
Speaking of a "lens spanner" , can you tell me which one you would recommend and where I can get it?

Thank you !
03-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
npc
Veteran Member

If you are just cleaning the optics as far as I remember (sorry, It was a while ago when I disassembled mine) :
Start from the front. Remove the front ring (where it says SMC PENTAX ... ) . Below are 3 pairs of small screws. Unscrew them, remove the front part they are holding (the one that has the thread to screw filters) - then you should be able to pull out from the front the whole optical assembly.
03-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There is a lens disassembly page here on PF. Sorry I don't know exactly where but you should be able to find it.

Micro tools is where you want to get lens repair stuff.

03-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Here is the page I mentioned:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/179884-pe...-database.html
03-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Micro tools is where you want to get lens repair stuff.
Thank you carpents, I will check them out.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
This will enable you to take the optical and aperture assembly of the helical, but you will still likely need a spanner and/or a rubber tool to take the groups out and get them broken down if necessary. A lens spanner is a tool that allows for the removal of notched retaining rings. .
I know what a lens spanner tool is and what it is used for. In researching them I observed that they come in a number of different designs and a price range anywhere from around the mid-teens to over $60. I was wondering if any one type might be better than another, or if the less expensive ones might work as well or are as durable as a more expensive model.