Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
[PSA for LX owners] Jon Goodman now sells a LX light seal kit
Posted By: Tickolas, 06-11-2015, 02:14 AM

Hey all!

Just wanted to let LX owners know that Jon Goodman now sells a light seal kit (including mirror dampeners) for the LX! I sent my LX in to him for templating and repair, and he did an excellent job. The actual process for switching out the mirror dampeners is, as he puts it, not for the faint of heart but doesn't seem like the worst thing ever either.

The kit comes with self-adhesive foam strips to replace all light sealing and mirror dampener strips as well as wooden tools to strip away the old ones.

Attached to this post you'll find the instructions for the kit so you can determine whether you'd be comfortable doing the switch yourself. If you're interested in purchasing a kit from Jon, you can email him at JGood21967@aol.com. He also sells kits for many other models, including the ME, ME Super and ME-F. Shipping is very fast, took about a week to get a kit from him last time I ordered one and prices are very reasonable.

And Jon, thanks again! =)

Attached Images

Views: 8,201
06-11-2015, 07:18 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! Jon's kits are simply the best and he is one of the true assets to the vintage film photography community. I had no idea that the LX seal replacement was so involved, but there are other cameras that are worse. My Olympus XA requires a partial tear-down

Steve
06-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #3

Now if he could fabricate the the dust seals for the LX there would be many happy campers when the OEM supplies run out.
06-12-2015, 12:53 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Now if he could fabricate the the dust seals for the LX there would be many happy campers when the OEM supplies run out.
Might want to email him if you have an unused OEM set. He used my camera to prototype the light seal kit, might be able to replicate the dust seals as well. =)

09-01-2016, 11:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As the "certifiable" owner of THREE LXs this post was welcomed! Jon is that rarity, a man whose reputation is echoed in his name. Case in point: some time ago i queried him for seals for an Oly OM 4. He had a kit in stock, and shipped it PRIOR to my sending him the payment!

If Jon says you can reseal your LX it almost certainly is true. I need to evaluate the seals on my growing collection of old cameras and see what I need to order from Jon.
09-02-2016, 12:48 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
As the "certifiable" owner of THREE LXs this post was welcomed!
Haha, certifiable sounds about right Fortunately it's the right kind of crazy, the LX is my favorite analog camera by far.

Fair warning, he said that replacing the mirror dampeners was really hard. He managed it just fine on my camera though. =)