Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Need feedbacks on the Lenspen New SensorKlear Angled Sensor Cleaning Pen
Posted By: bygp, 07-24-2016, 08:48 PM

Hi all

I'm not a sensors humid cleaning method fan, even using appropriate products and I don't have so many specks on my CMOS (a group of small ones in a zone and a bigger one alone) but they won't leave the sensor with blower method.

If any already used this Lenspen New SensorKlear Angled Sensor Cleaning Pen, I would like a feedback on its performance.

Also, no one as thought of using the small vacuum u use to remove soldering, I'm pretty sure it would perform well, not moving the specks but sucking them out of the body ?

Thx for any feedback !

B.P.
Views: 896
07-25-2016, 01:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Bruno - I have no personal experience of the Lenspen sensor cleaner, but others I've spoken to felt that it isn't really any different to the lens cleaning pen products they've used, and that it tends to move debris around better than it removes anything! As an alternative, I recommend the Pentax O-ICK1 or Eyelead SCK-1 gel sticks (not the cheap eBay knock-offs). They are easy to use and work every time for me. Of course, if you have smearing on the sensor, you really have to wet clean, but for dust and debris that can't be removed with a blower, these gel sticks are hard to beat.
07-25-2016, 03:06 AM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax O-ICK1 - even used in Leica factories.
07-25-2016, 03:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Is that right? Well, I can believe it. It really does work brilliantly.

I also have the Eyelead SCK-1S, which is recommended for Sony sensors (I use it on my A99-based Hasselblad HV) - it has slightly lower adhesion to avoid residue, and it works equally well. In the UK, the Eyelead SCK-1 and SCK-1S are a little less expensive than the O-ICK1, if I remember correctly...

07-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I have used the Lenspen while traveling, and it does get the big spots out. Not a terrible solution, but will not clean the sensor perfectly.

What I do use, and HIGHLY recommend is an unsized paint brush that is sold for this purpose. You use one of those spray air cans on the brush, which causes it to be statically charged, and then wipe the sensor clean. Works amazing, and costs no where near the $45 that the Pentax thing costs. The kit I recommend is on e-bay under the brand CleanSkies. There's a brush for the mirror box, and one for the sensor. That keeps your sensor brush clean while cleaning the mirror box. They are really the same, with different handles, but it keeps everything separate. They ship in separate little baggies. I've had mine for a couple of years, and even in the pollen-rich Florida spring, worked great at keeping my sensor clean and clear. If it's quite dirty, I may need 2 or 3 passes, with an air-can spray on the brush in between.
07-25-2016, 06:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
I second that ,Use the stick wand Stay away from that sensor klear ,you will only leave all kinds of carbon particles all over your sensor not to mention most likely scratch it. I wont use them on my lens either .You had best stick to the blower and the sticky wand. If that fails then i use q-tips and alcohol. do it at your own risk.
07-26-2016, 12:12 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi Bruno - I have no personal experience of the Lenspen sensor cleaner, but others I've spoken to felt that it isn't really any different to the lens cleaning pen products they've used, and that it tends to move debris around better than it removes anything! As an alternative, I recommend the Pentax O-ICK1 or Eyelead SCK-1 gel sticks (not the cheap eBay knock-offs). They are easy to use and work every time for me. Of course, if you have smearing on the sensor, you really have to wet clean, but for dust and debris that can't be removed with a blower, these gel sticks are hard to beat.
Thanks very much I did not even knew this product existed Gonna see if it is in my budget...

---------- Post added 07-26-16 at 12:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I have used the Lenspen while traveling, and it does get the big spots out. Not a terrible solution, but will not clean the sensor perfectly.

What I do use, and HIGHLY recommend is an unsized paint brush that is sold for this purpose. You use one of those spray air cans on the brush, which causes it to be statically charged, and then wipe the sensor clean. Works amazing, and costs no where near the $45 that the Pentax thing costs. The kit I recommend is on e-bay under the brand CleanSkies. There's a brush for the mirror box, and one for the sensor. That keeps your sensor brush clean while cleaning the mirror box. They are really the same, with different handles, but it keeps everything separate. They ship in separate little baggies. I've had mine for a couple of years, and even in the pollen-rich Florida spring, worked great at keeping my sensor clean and clear. If it's quite dirty, I may need 2 or 3 passes, with an air-can spray on the brush in between.
TY, this seems to be the best system, do you need an air can or can it work with a blower ?
07-26-2016, 12:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Everyone has their favourite method for cleaning sensors, and I'm sure the brushes @Kozlok mentions work very well - but do bear in mind that with that method you're wiping the brush across the sensor, so any dust / debris that the brush picks up also gets wiped across the sensor. In 99% of cases that probably doesn't matter, but if there's anything abrasive in that debris, there is a risk of scratching; also, any lubricant that you inadvertently pick up on the brush from the inside of the camera could potentially be wiped over the sensor too, which would then require wet cleaning. You don't get any of that with a gel stick - it just lifts the debris straight off; job done. As I said, though, everyone has a favourite method, and each to their own. Regardless, it's important to use a dust blower first to get rid of the bigger particles that aren't stuck to the sensor before you do anything else (the same applies for wet cleaning too)

07-27-2016, 01:38 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Everyone has their favourite method for cleaning sensors, and I'm sure the brushes @Kozlok mentions work very well - but do bear in mind that with that method you're wiping the brush across the sensor, so any dust / debris that the brush picks up also gets wiped across the sensor. In 99% of cases that probably doesn't matter, but if there's anything abrasive in that debris, there is a risk of scratching; also, any lubricant that you inadvertently pick up on the brush from the inside of the camera could potentially be wiped over the sensor too, which would then require wet cleaning. You don't get any of that with a gel stick - it just lifts the debris straight off; job done. As I said, though, everyone has a favourite method, and each to their own. Regardless, it's important to use a dust blower first to get rid of the bigger particles that aren't stuck to the sensor before you do anything else (the same applies for wet cleaning too)
Nice overall abstract of all other answers, I agree with the scratching risk too. I'll digg the gel stick method which IMO seems the more efficient when you are able to see the particles (if have a good tool to inspect the sensor visualy). Wet method can work fine but almost always leaves streaks and touch parts of the sensor where there is no particles to remove...
07-27-2016, 01:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bygp Quote
Nice overall abstract of all other answers, I agree with the scratching risk too. I'll digg the gel stick method which IMO seems the more efficient when you are able to see the particles (if have a good tool to inspect the sensor visualy). Wet method can work fine but almost always leaves streaks and touch parts of the sensor where there is no particles to remove...
Be advised that some times that Gel Stick can transfer itself onto the Sensor, in which case you will have to do a wet clean.
07-27-2016, 03:05 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Be advised that some times that Gel Stick can transfer itself onto the Sensor, in which case you will have to do a wet clean.
That depends entirely on the quality and adhesive properties of the stick you use, and whether you use it as instructed (which is very easy). I have *never* had residue with the Pentax O-ICK1 on my Pentax K-5, K-3, K-3II, Q and Q7, or with the Eyelead SCK-1S on my Sony-based Hasselblad. Never - not once, and I've used them many times. Using the wrong stick on a Sony mirrorless camera can definitely leave residue, but that's why it's so important to use the correct one (I would *not* clean my Hasselblad sensor with the Pentax O-ICK1, for instance - it is too adhesive). I understand that Leicas also benefit from the Sony-compatible gel sticks, too. Cheaper knock-off products may leave residue, but I would never use them - it's a false economy.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-27-2016 at 03:25 AM.