Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #46
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Originally posted by cegaton
I don't quite see who this camera is designed for.
Professionals?
No tethered shooting, no Full Frame. Ever heard of Pros shooting HDR JPGS?
Video Shooters?
Video at 25fps only, no manual image or audio controls?
Amateurs?
At this price range and with so many cheaper and more flexible cameras around?

I can't imagine this camera flying of the shelves

You sign up here, wait two and a half years, and THIS is your first post? Really?
Yeah, I know, amazing. Some trolls plant their sock puppets well in advance.

09-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
For better or worse, I am married to Pentax for now.

My wife doesn't make lasagna quite the way I like it, so I should just dump her, right?

She still feeds me bro', and so does Pentax.
nope, just use it to get here to do that "special thing" for you every Thursday night until she learns to make proper lasagna....either way you win!!
09-20-2010, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #48
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
Are all we gonna do is complain the camera s is not in anybodys hands yet
When did lack of experience, knowledge, or understanding prevent anyone from expressing their opinions on a public forum?
09-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
Are all we gonna do is complain the camera s is not in anybodys hands yet
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
When did lack of experience, knowledge, or understanding prevent anyone from expressing their opinions on a public forum?
Then again when a company cannot even coordinate it's live online PR material prior to launch, well, that hardly instills confidence.

Also, for anyone with a bit of experience it's not hard to extrapolate based on specs....if HoyaTax chose to fail to deliver accurate information that is who's fault?

I LIKE the general feature set and it would be a nice upgrade from my K20D except as I mentioned....no tethering mentioned anywhere in the marketing materials...so if I am making an uninformed decision...again, who's fault is that? Right now I doubt if the manual was online it would be correct given the marketing info gaff...

09-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #50
Inactive Account

Why is it only available in black?

Why don't they give as many color options and possibly lego options as the rest of the pentax line up.
09-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #51
Banned

I think it should have been called the K-7n.
09-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
i'm extremely bummed by the k-5! Ever since specs started leaking out, the photos i've taken with the k-7 seem dull, lifeless, noisy & blurry. It's as if the firmware contained some sort of poison pill. I can't begin to imagine how bad things will get when it's officially announced--much less on the market.
lolzz!

09-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #53
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a cool thread.
How can I rate it?
Where's negative?

Seems a few posters here just want a reason to bitch and moan, but if they're married to Pentax then perhaps Pentax can initiate the divorce.
09-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cegaton Quote
I don't quite see who this camera is designed for.
Professionals?
No tethered shooting, no Full Frame. Ever heard of Pros shooting HDR JPGS?
Video Shooters?
Video at 25fps only, no manual image or audio controls?
Amateurs?
At this price range and with so many cheaper and more flexible cameras around?

I can't imagine this camera flying of the shelves
Based on my analysis so far, it seems to be designed primarily for people who like to take pictures.

Weird, eh?
09-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Why is it only available in black?

Why don't they give as many color options and possibly lego options as the rest of the pentax line up.
that is an optional add on kit...only $450US...comes with your choice of a Hello Kitty purse...errrr....bag or feminine bowel regulating yogurt or a box of tampons for those who have the need.

And YES, i get your joke and LOVE it so know I am joking back with ya!!
09-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #56
Inactive Account

<tongue in cheek>Well I don't have to wait to see/hold/use the camera to know that the improved AF isn't up to my expectations and that Pentax has dropped the ball again. I mean after all, how hard can it be to make a camera that will auto focus with all of my Takumar lenses. Sheesh all they need is a little hand that comes out of the camera to grab the lens and they had that 40 years ago on the Jetsons!!!!</tongue in cheek>

For everyone who is now leaving Pentax forever and a day to buy a Canon 7D or a Nikon D700 or a Boeing 747, as Powers Booth said to Kurt Russell in "Tombstone, "Well, bye." For everyone who has better things to do, let's go take some pictures.

CW
09-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Don't forget that 7D is heavier, for those who wish to take a decent DSLR for traveling purposes, it will not be a good choice. Don't get me wrong, 7D is one fine camera with some unique features.
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
You do realize that introductory pricing is not a reflection of final pricing right?
Have you looked at what the 7D was priced at upon release? I remember the ruckus it caused over in dpreview as everyone in the forums argued that the camera would die due to it being "as expensive as a FF solution"

Truth is I too think the 7D is an amazing camera.
But, I don't own any lenses and I'm not really compelled to start a new APS-C kit for one. However... when prices settle, the K-5 will be every bit as affordable as any other prosumer DSLR on the market. So I'd say patience is the key rather than switching systems.

Couple of things do come to mind with the 7D though...
How is the weather sealing?
Does it have in body SR?
How does it compare in sensitivity?
Does it offer in camera HDR?
Do you value quiet shutter?

Are but a few questions that comes to mind.
I know on my end of things, the weather sealing is a deal breaker.
I often shoot in adverse conditions and I couldn't stand the thought of worrying about my camera in rain, fog, mist etc.
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
From what I've read, the prices, $1500 for body, and $1750 for body+kit, are going to be when the K5 comes to the market. And I doubt they will fall anytime soon. The 7D was $1700 body, $1900 kit. Not a big difference for a whole lot more camera, IMO.

Has good weather sealing, on par with Pentax from all I've read. I've seen quite a few tests of the 7D being taken in a shower or frozen in snow and working fine.
No SR, but IS lenses aren't that tremendously expensive like everyone thinks. Also, just boost ISO and get a decent shutter speed, don't need IS.
7D usable ISO goes up to 3200, but can go to 6400. 3200 is plenty high, and the images I've seen are great at that rating for 18MP.
I personally could care less about HDR. I will just do it the old fashion way if I need it.
My K200 has a loud shutter, so no it doesn't matter to me either.

But it varies from person to person. Some people are fine with Pentax, others fine with Canon, Nikon, whatever. I am only 20, and I plan on picking a system and sticking with it. I will be getting a nice high paying job in a few years, so I will be able to afford a FF and will want to have some accompanying gear to go with it, so Pentax currently doesn't really help me there. That's all I am sayin. To each his own.
As a 7D owner / abuser, the K-5 gives me a very similar package (High ISO looks on par, high resolution, high FPS, improved AF-C on the Pentax, rugged magnesium alloy body) although in a lighter, smaller and more travel friendly format. I did mention on another thread that the K-5 could sit along side my 7D in my bag (I have the Sigma 10-20mm in a Pentax and Canon mount).

I am scratching my head about the price though, but it is a brand new body and it will drop over the next few months.
09-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here you go again obsoliting my K7 I have been very happy with the K7 and should be with the K5 you guys are nothing but winer's and unreal. Today is a great day to be out with my camera and it's a K7. Oh yea the new iteration of Cannon/Nikon are being bashed as well how fun.
Cheers
09-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #59
Pentaxian

I want a hot pink one! Love to take that sideline to rugby games! Probably get thrown out of the park.
09-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #60

All I can say to the whiners/haters....

"Don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya!"