Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Let's see 20 divided by 5 is 4...
Shall we say the K-5 is 4 times better than the K20D?

09-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
ULTIMATE UPGRADE? There is none.

Is the APS-C system better than the Pentax E90? (not if it must fit in your pocket)

Is any FF system better than the APS-C? (not if you need to fill the frame at 300mm instead of 450m)

645D over the FF? (not if your requirements have a limit of $5k)

Hubble camera/lens over the 645D? (I would enjoy seeing that reviewed?

If we stop worrying about the gears and just worry about best filling requirements then you get the ultimate solution for specific need. But its way more fun just to buy bigger and better since we only live once.

Very nice comparison. I am happy with my K20D. I will think about upgrating next year.
09-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

if it ain't broken don't fix it.
I must admit I was blown away at this new camera specs and first AF tests but it doesn't mean I'm gonna buy something I don't need (haven't reached CBA yet)
09-20-2010, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Any room left for the Geek Club?
Hey! That would be a great thread! "THE Geek Club" !

Cheers.
JP
Come up with a good theme for the Geek-taxian thread and I will be happy to post.

09-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I have the K20 and the K7 so I'm going to let the early adopter hoopla fade a bit before I consider upgrading, probably next Summer.
But I AM going to use my K20 for an outdoor shoot next weekend. Just because newer models come out doesn't then make the older ones automatically bad, especially when you just keep aware of its limitations.
10-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
"Ultimate upgrade"??? Think FF.

K-5 is a nice bit of gear but certainly not a huge advance on K20D.

What will be good is the chance to pickup a second K20D for a reasonable prices.
Oh well, one can always change one's mind, can't one.
K-5 pre-ordered today. Main reasons are ISO and AF plus the rest of the goodies. So the K10 goes out of the bag and K20 is the backup.

Has anyone had any problems with the after market BG4 grips?

David
10-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
Oh well, one can always change one's mind, can't one.
K-5 pre-ordered today. Main reasons are ISO and AF plus the rest of the goodies. So the K10 goes out of the bag and K20 is the backup.

Has anyone had any problems with the after market BG4 grips?

David
I was going to say...

Seems to me, if we take all of the K-5's improvements over the K20D and you have a rather significant upgrade.

But then I thought... oh well... not everyone values the same things.

Congratulations on your purchase.
I'm going to wait a few to pick mine-up because I need two of them and I don't want to pay the early bird premium.
But from what I've seen. The IQ(resolving power) of the K-5 alone is enough to justify the upgrade. Phenomenal sensor in this one!

10-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

It's a step up from the K20, ultimate is a dream that they will never make because Capitalism will die as we know it.
10-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sharkonwheels Quote
So...is the K5 an upgrade from the K20D?

I remember a few things missing from the K7, like the AF points on the VF, etc...

Are we K20D owners still waiting for a true replacement, or is the K5 it?

Thanks!
no tethering in the K5 == not a viable replacement for my K20D...period end of story. If I am going to drop over a grand on a body it will then be a 7D and no more jumping through hoops or waiting for HoyaTax to pull it's head of it's collective rear end.

Now if K5 == TETHERING absolutely I am going with a K-5. But I must know soon one way or the other. As I would be selling my full set of Pentax gear I can then afford to switch sooner than if I am staying with Pentax and the K-5 as I must save AND wait for the body to prove itself as well as drop in price to under $1000...which I see as reasonable and why I am rooting for the D7000 to really deliver, more pressure on HoyaTax...but....shhhhhhh, dunna tell HoyaTax I really don't wanna go back to Canon....
10-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Come up with a good theme for the Geek-taxian thread and I will be happy to post.
and our club house would be called.....the G-Spot?

::::::::::::::ruuuuuunnnssssssaaaaaaaway:::::::::::::::>>>>>>>>>>>>>
10-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
More to the point, think 645D if you want the ultimate upgrade.
nawww....Leica S2 is the ULTIMATE K20D upgrade.... Expensive but still cheaper than a wife/GF for sure!!
10-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like my two K20ds--they've done really well by me--but it looks like the K-5 offers some meaningful enhancements. I'm not going to pre-order (partly a cash-flow thing but I also want to wait for commentary from first-wave buyers) but I'd be surprised (and very disappointed) if I don't get one next year.

I'll probably hang on to the K20Ds until I can afford a 2nd K-5 (or its successor.)
10-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 looks like it will be a big upgrade from the K20d - if you photograph things that move or are often in low light situations. But if you are doing landscapes or flower macros, the the K20d will be a fine camera for many years to come...
10-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I am owning a K20D and my next camera purchase will be a K5 .
10-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Does anyone know if the K5 shutter is as quiet as the K7?

Everything else is looking good.