Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
My poor old K200d can't even get out of bed in the mornings and my K0d his drinking more than usual.
And your piano has been drinking? Heavily?

10-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jeff knight
The second shot is awesome, perfect for a Halloween poster or a garage door projection.
You could make some serious money with that.
10-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #78
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
And your piano has been drinking? Heavily?
typo, that should be K20d. I don't have a piano.
10-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #79
Veteran Member

The K5 is twice the price of my K20, but are the images twice as good? For my work the end result and how I capture my images will be no different.

10-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
The K5 is twice the price of my K20, but are the images twice as good? For my work the end result and how I capture my images will be no different.
That's like asking does the FA31 make images that are twice as good as the FA35 because it's twice as expensive? Or asking if the FA*85 is twice as good as the FA*77?
10-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
That's like asking does the FA31 make images that are twice as good as the FA35 because it's twice as expensive? Or asking if the FA*85 is twice as good as the FA*77?
I've been in restaurants where the food cost easily 3x for what looked suspiciously similar. Somewhat tastier and better prepared, but not that big a difference. The service, the ambience and general dining experience were very different of course.

Was it worth the money ? Its all in the eye of the beholder...
10-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
That's like someone who has an F-150, and only needs the capabilities of an F-150 saying that there's no point of F-350's existing, that it's dumb that they cost so much more than an F-150, and that they aren't worth it. But for someone who needs the extra towing capacity and a heavier duty suspension, then yes, it is worth it.

Just because you don't need the extra capabilities of the K-5 doesn't mean that other people don't. And to answer your first question, depending on what sort of shooting you do, the images are potentially twice as good.

You're also comparing something 3 years old to something brand new. What you should be comparing, if you want ot make such a comparison is MSRP when they were each new. And even that wouldn't be fair because the K-7/5 body is technically a new line. It's like saying a 2010 WRX is worth twice as much as a 2003 WRX, is it twice as good? Nope, not really. Just newer...

10-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
typo, that should be K20d. I don't have a piano.
Sorry for the Tom Waits song reference that wasn't picked up on OR deliberately ignored
10-19-2010, 12:50 AM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I'm not saying that the K-5 isn't much better than the K20d. It's much, much better. In many, many ways. I'm just saying that this image doesn't highlight any of them, and it's flat out wrong to say that this image shows the K-5's superiority over another camera. This image pretty much just shows photographer skill, and that's it.
Agreed. Nothing there, that I haven't done with my K20D.

(Not that I can do it everytime, but that isn't about the camera)
10-19-2010, 03:04 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
I take portraits for money, and often my models do pay the bills.
That's great!
And of course, in this case my argument reverts

Background shot with Pentax 12-24,
model photographed with Volna-9 no retouch. The 2 images superimposed.
That's a great portrait, very artistic! Congratulations.
Of course, artistic value and resolution are completely independent. As you show so well.

I am big falconeye fan! You and your site have helped me so many times. I hope this divergence of very subjective views doesn't make you hate me.

Thanks for the kind words. We have no divergence and even if it wouldn't make me disrespect you Esp. as you appear to be a more talented photographer than me
10-19-2010, 04:09 AM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Putting a value on something is difficult. It is probably wise not to buy every new camera that comes along, better to skip a generation or two and save a little bit in between. At the same time, from what I have seen, the K5 is a major step up from both the K20 and K7. Could it be better? Sure. But, there are some things that it can do that no other Pentax camera (and no other APS-C camera) can do. That's pretty impressive in my book.
10-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These are BAD model shots at actual pixels. I would even call them ugly. I don't know a single model who wouldn't be horrified to see every pore in their face captured with such brutal detail. If they were portraits of wrinkled old men, or rock cliffs, or something, I would be properly awed, but these? Ugh...poor girl.
That's why god created the retouch artist
PS. These are exactly what is needed for high-end output.