Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #1306
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
The news here is that my daughter's high school varsity team won their conference championship!

I got permission to shoot from the sidelines and, given the weather forecast (scattered showers), decided to take the two k-5s: Sigma 70-200/2.8 on the monopod and the Tamron 28-75/2.8 on a Black Rapid strap. I put an Op-Teck rainsleeve on the Sigma and kept the Tamron under my poncho. The forecast was accurate: there was drizzle mixed with sun at first and the game was interrupted for two hours early in the 2nd half by a thunderstorm. The gear seems to have come through ok but it was a bit challenging. One aggravation was that the rainsleeve made chimping impossible. Combined with the changing light conditions that that left me with some interesting PP challenges. Still, I was able to put together a collection of reasonably decent photos for the girls and their families.

It was a terrific team--skilled, flexible and cohesive and comprised of top-notch girls.
Nice shots by you and congratulations to the champions.

05-16-2013, 03:13 AM   #1307
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
Have you tried shooting at a smaller MP size or lower quality to see if that gives you more frames in a burst?
This treath started before the camera was to the market and specs where different as stated in this this thread then when the first firmware update came.

The news here is that my daughter's high school varsity team won their conference championship!

I got permission to shoot from the sidelines and, given the weather forecast (scattered showers), decided to take the two k-5s: Sigma 70-200/2.8 on the monopod and the Tamron 28-75/2.8 on a Black Rapid strap. I put an Op-Teck rainsleeve on the Sigma and kept the Tamron under my poncho. The forecast was accurate: there was drizzle mixed with sun at first and the game was interrupted for two hours early in the 2nd half by a thunderstorm. The gear seems to have come through ok but it was a bit challenging. One aggravation was that the rainsleeve made chimping impossible. Combined with the changing light conditions that that left me with some interesting PP challenges. Still, I was able to put together a collection of reasonably decent photos for the girls and their families.
Congrats on that victorie. Somehow lacrosse looks good in the images I see, but the few games I went to didn't gave me the magic. Maybe it is due to the low skills off the girls overhere.
05-16-2013, 04:38 AM   #1308
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Somehow lacrosse looks good in the images I see, but the few games I went to didn't gave me the magic. Maybe it is due to the low skills off the girls overhere.
That's probably it--I was unimpressed by field hockey until the girls started to get good at it.
05-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #1309
Banned

Original Poster
That's probably it--I was unimpressed by field hockey until the girls started to get good at it.
Yes, and the girls overhere are very good at field hockey.

05-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #1310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, and the girls overhere are very good at field hockey.
Not surprisingly, many of the girls on the lacrosse team also play field hockey in the fall.
05-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #1311
Banned

Original Poster
DFB Pokalfinal Frauenfussball

I was at the Cupfinal womenssoccer in Germany in Cologne today. Wonderfull game between VFL Wolfsburg and FFC Turbine Potsdam (3-2) and saw an awesome game at a playing level no Dutch team can bring at this time.

This is the cup accepted by Wolfsburg captain Nadine Kessler:

This with my K-5 Silver and DA*300mm. Now my K-5 is over 140k actuations. I think I was working with the longest lens for this ceremonie, where there where at least 60 photographers. Offcourse no other Pentax. Lots off 7D (70-200 lens) and lots off 1Dx and D4 camera's.
05-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #1312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was at the Cupfinal womenssoccer in Germany in Cologne today. Wonderfull game between VFL Wolfsburg and FFC Turbine Potsdam (3-2) and saw an awesome game at a playing level no Dutch team can bring at this time.

This is the cup accepted by Wolfsburg captain Nadine Kessler:

This with my K-5 Silver and DA*300mm. Now my K-5 is over 140k actuations. I think I was working with the longest lens for this ceremonie, where there where at least 60 photographers. Offcourse no other Pentax. Lots off 7D (70-200 lens) and lots off 1Dx and D4 camera's.
Grossartig!

05-20-2013, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #1313
Inactive Account

Duck & Cover With K5lls

Another Equine image taken last weekend at The Dodson and Horrell Chatsworth International Horse Trials with a Pentax K5lls and Pentax DA* 50mm - 130mm

Last edited by Fletcher Davies; 05-08-2014 at 12:02 PM.
05-20-2013, 04:24 AM   #1314
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fletcher Davies Quote
Another Equine image taken last weekend at The Dodson and Horrell Chatsworth International Horse Trials with a Pentax K5lls and Pentax DA* 50mm - 130mm
A winning shot!

The only suggestion I can offer is perhaps try a tighter crop on the right, as I think it's a little empty on this side. So rather than centering the jump, try positioning it two-thirds across the frame.

It would be interesting to see, in a burst sequence, the next shot with the horse fully in the air, horizontal above the obstacle.

Well done,
Dan.
05-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #1315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fletcher Davies Quote
Horse Trials
I've never been much interested in horses but it's impossible not to admire the feat in progress there.
05-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #1316
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
The only suggestion I can offer is perhaps try a tighter crop on the right, as I think it's a little empty on this side. So rather than centering the jump, try positioning it two-thirds across the frame.
But then you loose the audience with the Beagle on the Gentle Leader, so that I wouldn't do myself. I maybe would have used a longer lens, not having the audience.
05-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #1317
Inactive Account

The audience needed to be within the shot for publication of the event. However, I take your point on isolating the action of the horse and rider.
05-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #1318

How about cropping on the left instead to get closer and also having the horse moving into the frame?
05-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #1319
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shot some mountain bike Enduro racing last night with the 60-250.
I probably should have stopped down a little more and increased ISO to maintain high shutter speeds.
This is just a small fun race so I'm getting used to shooting with this lens for some big races coming this weekend.

05-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #1320
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
This is just a small fun race so I'm getting used to shooting with this lens for some big races coming this weekend.
this looks promising !