Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #31
Inactive Account

I love my K7, but am mildly disappointed by its shadow noise at low ISO and the dynamic range. My wish would have been that Pentax changes nothing in the body (perfect for my hands as it is) and address those issues. It sounds like that's precisely what's happened, but I won't know for sure until test reports (and ultimately, my own experience) confirms this.
So I both expect and hope that this is the camera I've been waiting for.

09-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by music_lover Quote
Same here for k-5, but i do think there are some true typos, as the original specs i got from dpreview.com said "40 Best Images at 7FPS'" which is what K-7 was if i'm not mistaken. And that's a whole lot better then the 22 that is mentioned. Even the Pentaximaging.com website mentions 40 Best Images.
Geez i have never seen such confusion from one Mfr.
There are typos all over, just wait till the dust settles and the real specs. come out.
09-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Come to think of it, I just yawned when the K-x came out (ooh, another budget camera with a "?" button?) but once the dust settled and the specs were solid (!) and the high-ISO images came to light... ahem... and the red body became available... well, I got interested.

Bet the K-5 "gets interesting" once they start popping up in early-adopters' hands!
09-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is pointless. Only a handful of people have anything good to say about Pentax.
Close this thread and be done with it. Nice try Adam.

09-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although I don't have the money presently, it will be hard to resist such a good upgrade. They fixed the two main complaints about the K-7: High ISO performance and AF speed. The new sensor really promises to be great: fast readout, great DR, low noise, resolution. I can't wait to see the DXOmark results.
The new AF seems to be substantially improved this time, not just a small incremental upgrade like the previous releases.
I hope the shutter blur issue is also fixed.
They kept the good things: same silent shutter, small but well built body, good VF, etc.
They added some little touches, the Fx button is nice.

It's not perfect but it will be close. It just needs an articulated LCD, maybe in the next generation.
09-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Good job Pentax for keeping the same body as the K-7...
other than that Im not to keen on this camera based off of its specs.
09-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I truly do feel for the folks who really needed a specific feature and have been holding out hope for many months that the K5 would have it, only to be let down. But as for me, the K5 is pretty much right in line with what I wanted and I will have one soon. I LOVE my K7 and the K5 is kind of like a K7 on steroids. Hard to go wrong with that in my book.

09-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I truly do feel for the folks who really needed a specific feature and have been holding out hope for many months that the K5 would have it, only to be let down. But as for me, the K5 is pretty much right in line with what I wanted and I will have one soon. I LOVE my K7 and the K5 is kind of like a K7 on steroids. Hard to go wrong with that in my book.
I fully agree.
09-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Everything I have seen and heard so far looks great -- I already love the K7, so improving on that form factor is perfect. Hope to see some more photos shot with it -- and hear from people who have shot with the K7 tell how it differs.

I think my biggest quibble with the k7 is autofocus in low light settings and if the K5 takes care of that, I will be taking it home!
09-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, K-7 auto focuses in conditions where I can hardly see,(at least mine does). The new K-5 will be a hoot at the next star party (when i attend one). Just can`t wait.
09-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #41
Forum Member

I have the K-7 as well, and am waiting for the full review of the K-5. If very favorable, I will probably upgrade.
09-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #42

I'm just itching to get my hands on the K5. My only problem with my K20 is the AF speed for sports shots. Looks like the K5 will make me very happy!
09-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #43
Veteran Member

In my opinion, the ONLY serious weakness of a Pentax body is its weak AF :ugh:

From what I witnessed so far, Pentax seems to have gotten it right this time. We should all rejoice

My personal experience tells me: it's always easier to complain than to praise. While complains usually need not be supported by facts and actual observations, praise usually only comes after lots of convincing. This may explain why this thread is unlikely to catch up with the other until much much later. We just got to be patient

Well, I'll end my post with this comment: no matter how good a body K5 is, there will still be lots of complains about it. But let's be fair with Pentax. They have yet to come out with a complete piece of junk! In fact, recent effort like the Kx is nothing short of excellent

Good work, Pentax
09-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Personally, since having gotten the k-7, my 'need' to upgrade camera's has pretty much died. The k-7's doing the stuff I need it to and it's taken a hell of a lot of abuse along the way.

I can't see anything wrong with the k-5 as it stands right now. There's improvements I could take advantage of and it's in the same body as a k-7, which is a very good thing in my opinion.

I won't be upgrading any time soon because the k-7's lived through several spills, down-pours, snow-storms and even a mud-bath while I was at Hopewell Rocks. But I could see a k-5 in my hands in a year or so....when it's time to give my k-7 a bit of a break.
09-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #45

pentax cameras have lagged behind slightly but seems to me that hoya has been good for pentax so far - hope they dont try and sell it on but instead invest some serious capital in making pentax a leading camera brand again and increasing market penetration