Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #61
Veteran Member

I've only scanned through this thread and will post something when I have time, but around the "high ISO" chat, this will give you all a reasonable indicator of what the "K-5 vs 7D" high ISO results may look like based on the sensor in the Sony A55 and Canon 550D being the same or very similar in the K-5 and 7D respectively.

09-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I am not sure I get what you are saying. Focal length is focal length. A 35mm FF lens on a crop camera is the same as a 35mm APS-C lens on a crop camera.
What I was saying is the expense and size of the wide f/1.4 primes for example is justified on a full frame body because you get that wide focal length at that large aperture. That's the reason that they are so big and so expensive is they are designed for full frame performance.

Overall, my point was that I like smaller lenses, and that's why I personally favor Pentax primes for a crop system, as they tend to be smaller. For a full frame system I think Canon has the best primes of anyone except maybe Leica, but it seems illogical to me somehow to buy a 7D to use with these great full frame lenses (with the exception being telephotos) instead of a 5D Mark II.

QuoteQuote:
I've only scanned through this thread and will post something when I have time, but around the "high ISO" chat, this will give you all a reasonable indicator of what the "K-5 vs 7D" high ISO results may look like based on the sensor in the Sony A55 and Canon 550D being the same or very similar in the K-5 and 7D respectively.
I'm not sure if that will give a good indication of sensor performance at all, as the Sony A55 is a different camera design. We'll have comparative samples from the K-5 soon enough, though.
09-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
...it seems illogical to me somehow to buy a 7D to use with these great full frame lenses (with the exception being telephotos) instead of a 5D Mark II.
In canon you have to choose speed vs. full frame (unless you are going 1D which = big $...)

The 5D Mark II has much worse outer autofocus points, less focus points to use and a lot less options for them, not nearly as many fps and also has viewfinder blackout (not terrible, but the 7D virtually has none. What the 5D has going for it is excellent image quality and dof control. With Canon you have to pick your poison.
09-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Indeed, worth noting that the only two machine guns in Canon's lineup are the EOS 7D and the 1D Mk IV (and their subsequent predecessors).

Neither the 5D Mk2 or the 1DS Mk3 (Canon's flagship) are fast FPS wise reflecting what was just said above.

09-25-2010, 03:05 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
In canon you have to choose speed vs. full frame (unless you are going 1D which = big $...)
Actually, still holds there. The 1D is a 1.3x crop and the "machine gunner" while the 1Ds is full frame and quite a bit slower.

Now that we see the 7D processing 18MP shots at 8/second it seems like the "horsepower" is there for a FF camera at 21MP to shoot nearly as fast. But there are obviously other things that come into play.
09-25-2010, 03:18 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Additionally, the 5D Mk2 is quite "old" in terms of what's out there now, the 5D Mk3 and 1DS Mk4 are likely to be very interesting indeed, but no doubt will cost a small fortune
09-25-2010, 03:44 AM   #67
Forum Member

I have a k200d and use a canon 7d at work. I'm hoping that the K5 continues in the functionalities that I'm used to. The 7D is a physically bigger camera and feels very sturdy.

There are some minus in the 7D when coming from the perspective of using my k200d. I can not find in the wide arrange of settings on the 7D, a way to set an ISO limitation like I can on my Pentax (100-1600, 100-800, 100-400, etc.) Maybe it just my length of time with using a Pentax, but the controls on the Canon are not as intuitive and even though it is bigger I swear some of the button feel smaller. Growing up the line from the D*st to the K200D it was a nice gradual transition which I hope the K5 continues the trend. The 7D has been clearly to me like driving a friends car.

The pricing of comparable lens (just going on range and f-stop: a canon 55-70mm F2.8 vs a pentax 55-70mm F2.8) and when you include IS for a lens on the Canon you save a bit more money with the Pentax.

Because I have so much invested in my existing lens and the reasons stated I going to graduate to the K5.

I think if you ask the same question on a canon forum you will find bias there towards canon. If you can find a way to borrow a 7D for a few days and compare it with how you shoot with the Pentax, it probably would be the best form of judgment on what you should buy.

Experience with one brand over the other and how much effort you want to put into jumping tracks is what it comes down to. Some longtime Mac users have difficulty being forced to use a PC and vise-versa. I think it it is little bit of the same thing here.

09-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would think that one of the main differences between the 7D and any Pentax is that the Canon and Nikon machine guns all use CF cards which have higher write rates than SD cards.
09-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #69
Veteran Member

As a 7D owner, I thought I would chip in my musings on this subject.

As I've said on many threads now, I think the K-5 looks like an excellent package as it certainly comes very close to the 7D in a lot of aspects. Personally, I love the EOS 7D - it's very close to flawless for me and has the whole package, some highlights being:

- blisteringly quick and accurate AF
- 19 cross type sensors
- flexible AI servo allowing for fine tuning the AF sensitivtiy for tracking moving objects amongst other moving objects
- fully weathersealed magnesium alloy body
- 8 fps
- 18 mp sensor
- excellent high ISO noise control
- access to Canon's lens range
- wireless speedlight triggering
- 100% viewfinder
- flexible video shooting including 1080p at 24 fps
- the grip is perfect for my hand, I love it
- they give you your own personal customisable menu so that you can add what you want onto it from any of the other menus. I have "Beep", "AF Sensitivity" and "Mirror Lockup" on mine.

It's my bread and butter body ticking the fast action, portrait and landscape boxes in a nice solid package. By christ, it's a damn good camera and noone can take that away from it.

However, you could argue that it has some flaws:

- no exposure compensation in auto ISO mode - my K20D has it, why can't canon add this to their flagship body?!
- it's big and it's heavy - almost the same size as the 5D Mk2 and it became a bit of a bind around NYC for 5 days straight. Not travel friendly
- the battery grip isn't quite as sexy as Pentax's
- no dual card slots (personally, I don't care about that)
- Canon have no weather sealed EF-S lenses, they force you into EF L lenses some of which don't have image stabilisation. This is probably deliberate to get you to buy into their pricey L range, but they fall behind Pentax on the weather sealed APS-C lens front which are all stabilised in body.
- no AF assist lamp, what a ball-drop

Why the K-5 interests me

The K-5 won't replace my 7D - however the K-5 gives me very near 7D performance (top build quality, weather sealing, 16 mp, video, snappy AF from what I've seen) in a smaller and more compact body. I could see myself taking the K-5 where I want to travel light with a couple of limiteds as the 7D is a real weight. My K20D's AF and high ISO no longer cuts the mustard, but the K-5 certainly does. I just wish their SDM was more reliable.

It's a shame the limiteds aren't weather sealed (although this would add to weight and size i'd expect) as that would make the K-5 irresistable to me. I really, really want to try one .

Last edited by Big G; 09-25-2010 at 03:55 PM.
09-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #70
Forum Member

Original Poster
I checked out the 7D again in store.

I don't think I can get past the ergonomics.
09-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Just to address that point, everyone loves what they're used to. I hated the 7D when I first got it - way too many buttons, far too complicated, much preferred the K20D.

Once I was slick around the 7D, I now think the K20D interface is sucky . Everyone prefers what they're used to.
09-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #72
Raylon

Got my 7D. It just fits perfect in my hand, won't need a battery grip like I did the K200D to fit my hand. Like it's been said a hundred times....to each his own.
09-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #73
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Got my 7D. It just fits perfect in my hand, won't need a battery grip like I did the K200D to fit my hand. Like it's been said a hundred times....to each his own.

I like the size and weight; it's that damn dial on the back that gets to me.

You almost have to contort your thumb to adjust it.
09-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #74
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Same here. Just recently got a 7D born out of the frustration of AF refusing to fire at times in indoor events using K-X and formerly K200D paired with DA* 16-50 and 50-135 lenses. AF of 7D is blazingly fast and it's "only" paired with a Sigma 24-70 for the meantime.
09-25-2010, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
Same here. Just recently got a 7D born out of the frustration of AF refusing to fire at times in indoor events using K-X and formerly K200D paired with DA* 16-50 and 50-135 lenses. AF of 7D is blazingly fast and it's "only" paired with a Sigma 24-70 for the meantime.
that is pretty much where I am going to be forced to go back to Canon with a 7D (not really a bad thing) and one or two "good enough" lenses simply because HoyaTax refuses to provide one feature everyone else does w/o any problems...sadly I will wait because for a short while there is likely going to be a spike in the 7D used prices. but I might hit up a pro buddy of mine for a used deal on one of his so I can pop for a nice bit of L glass and a macro.