Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #16
Inactive Account

i did not and probably won't.

not that the k5 isn't exciting, but i'm disappointed at the way pentax has released this camera. specs that are mixed up, features that are not there but may be there depending on what, demand? (tethering and manual video controls).

i still have my kx and k200 and a bunch of lenses. not sure yet which direction i'll take.

my feeling is that pentax doesn't seem to have any sense of direction for their future. will they pull an Olympus 2 years from now?

no roadmap, no TC's no higher end lenses. Not even a dang definition of what the DC motor is really. FF on the horizon?

who's at the helm? autopilot?

i don't know about the rest of you, but i'm disappointed at the direction or the lack of that pentax is taking.

09-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #17
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
PentaxForums has!
People who talk about themselves in the third person really irritates me.

I'm waiting until SRS's demo day on Saturday (9th), as I've deliberately not held a K7 in the past, just to avoid the temptation.
09-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #18
Raylon

I ordered a 7 today! 7D that is....
09-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
I ordered a 7 today! 7D that is....
...yawn

I'm holding out until the smoke clears and we see what the IQ is really like and the spec's are confirmed. If there's not a definite improvement in IQ over the K20 I'm not buying
I'm assuming there will be though and will probably buy after the price comes down a little.

cheers

09-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, I would have, but the mass confusion and the price changing has soured me on pre-ordering. First we heard $1599. and then we heard $1399.... and now it is all over the place. When the price issue is settled and we have some real world testers, I will take a second look. I want it, but the way this has been conducted by Pentax has made me a little gun shy....If they can't get that price closer to the D7000, they may be severely limited to those already invested in Pentax glass. Someone should tell Pentax that there is a worldwide recession....apparently they did tell Nikon, and they took advantage of it with their pricing.
Regards!
09-26-2010, 05:19 AM   #21
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I thought B&H was taking preorders, maybe I'm wrong, but now their page just says it's available in October, with no pre-order button. B&H K-5

And with Pentax stores now listing the price at $1599 for pre-order on their site, I would think that this price is going to stay. Pentax Store K-5
09-26-2010, 06:21 AM   #22

I'm currently mulling over whether to buy a K-7, K-5, or K-R. It would be nice to have some real prices and shipping dates before I can make that decision...

09-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #23
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I thought B&H was taking preorders, maybe I'm wrong, but now their page just says it's available in October, with no pre-order button. B&H K-5

And with Pentax stores now listing the price at $1599 for pre-order on their site, I would think that this price is going to stay. Pentax Store K-5

I can't possibly imagine any new buyers of the K5 at this price. The Nikon D7000, with worldwide name recognition will just beat it to a pulp. If Pentax went to this trouble and expense to build a new camera for the few Upgraders that are already Pentax shooters, they are indeed as poor at Marketing and Business 101 as I suspected.
If you were a potential new buyer, looked at the specs, and then large price difference which one would you buy? It is not like the Nikon is a bad camera, it is clearly a nice machine.......I prefer the K5 and its features, but I have a lot of Pentax glass....if I didn't, I could never see paying $400 more for it.....never! If Pentax can't reduce the price and still be profitable, they are in some deep trouble.....I think Nikon cut the heart out of Canon this time, and poor little Pentax is the one that may pay the price.
Regards!
09-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #24
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Very true. I pretty much have only 3 Pentax lenses, so switching brands is an easy option for me. Only problem is, if I am not getting the K5, I kind of wanted the D700 replacement, which isn't out yet and no one knows when. I like the D700, but no video, and no 100% viewfinder. I would rather not go Canon, but the 5d MkII keeps looking better and better.
09-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me and my partner pre-orded two on amazon the first day, with the lens just before they changed the price. It'll make it easier to sell our K-7s with an included kit lens.

If the price drops before release, we might switch to the body only option.
09-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Not here...I wasn't all that impressed with what I was hearing/reading about the K-5 so decided today to p/u a D700 instead.

c[_]
09-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

I won't have to pre order one, my local pusher will just bring one in for me when they are available.
09-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Me and my partner pre-orded two on amazon the first day, with the lens just before they changed the price. It'll make it easier to sell our K-7s with an included kit lens.

If the price drops before release, we might switch to the body only option.
Changed the price? Was it at $1399? Things are so confusing, I can't keep track of what's going on with specs and prices.
09-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #29
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by K20DPent Quote
Changed the price? Was it at $1399? Things are so confusing, I can't keep track of what's going on with specs and prices.
No, he ordered when the price of body + lens was still $1600. It's a bummer the K-5 is only shipping with the 18-55, not the 18-135.
09-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I'm in like Flint.